PDA

View Full Version : Who beaches their boat?

bzubke1
12-17-2010, 10:23 AM
Personally I do it all the time hence the avatar but it seems like a lot of people don't. I only beach the boat in soft clay which is luckily the whole bottom where I live. Beached it in sand against my better judgement and it was like sandpaper and skuffed it up a little bit, still mad about that. I get out and check the soil now before I beach in a new spot.

you da man
12-17-2010, 10:38 AM
Never have, never will. I usually two-point anchor my boat

madriding1
12-17-2010, 11:20 AM
Never have and never will. Just love my boat way too much to risk it.

kaneboats
12-17-2010, 11:47 AM
We had this conversation a couple years ago. It was pretty clear that those out west especially are completely averse to beaching-- with good reason due to rocky shores. But those of us in the south with the soft sand beach our boats all the time and you can't even tell.

KG's Supra24
12-17-2010, 12:39 PM
I don't beach. Not worth the risk for me but we have shell type shorelines around here.

Ed G, never tied up to a dock?!? This blows my mind as i do it all the time but i guess i can see how you would never need to.

sandm
12-17-2010, 12:49 PM
guess we are real lucky here. our local lake has public docks everywhere, you just have to be up there around 8am on a weekend to get one..

never beached and hope to never do it.

Razzman
12-17-2010, 01:09 PM
Couldn't beach here even if we wanted to, boat would sink! Think i'm kiddding? Look at the pic! Low water over last winter exposed the dangers. Two point anchor only 15-20' off shore.

Dock all the time, but we don't use fenders, use small hippity-hops only, Lightning McQueen baby!

KG's Supra24
12-17-2010, 01:25 PM
I like the idea Razz bc it would keep more separation than the bumpers i use. Where do you store them, though?

mcdye
12-17-2010, 01:38 PM
never beached..

Razzman
12-17-2010, 01:44 PM
I like the idea Razz bc it would keep more separation than the bumpers i use. Where do you store them, though?

They inflate and deflate in just a minute or so. We deflate them and put 'em in the locker behind the drivers seat. When we know we're gonna dock we inflate on the way so they're ready. Also great for rafting up as the boats can't contact at all.

Bit.rider
12-17-2010, 02:04 PM
Seems like a whole lot of risk unless your real familr with the lake. Saw two boats beach last season, and both got stuck when the water level dropped 9" over night.......woof!

sandm
12-17-2010, 02:11 PM
any issues with beat up wooden docks popping them?

Razzman
12-17-2010, 02:15 PM
any issues with beat up wooden docks popping them?

None so far, they are pretty thick and we don't inflate to rock hardness either, a little soft seems to work better.

I think i paid $8 for them at Toys-R-Us, a few others on here use them as well.

deerfield
12-17-2010, 02:18 PM
I've never tied my boat up to a dock.

Gets beached 100% of the time.

Most, if not all central Florida lakes are fine sand bottoms (with the occasional mud)

Me, the exact oppostie. Never, ever beach. Always dock.

zabooda
12-17-2010, 02:21 PM
I beach sometimes but my tunes face the back so I turn it around and anchor the front and tie off the back. I keep my boats for a long time so scratches have never been an issue and you don't see them unless you go underneath the boat to look. I enjoy watching people tie their boat off as it is as much fun as watching them at the boat docks. We have sand beaches everywhere along with rocky areas but I can't imagine beaching at a rocky area. When I beach it is to stay for a short time and there are no boats to cause the boat to rock. Most areas have enough depth to actually drive the front end on the beach.

I try to avoid docks unless I am launching as that is where boats bang together, stuff is stolen and kids are using boats as diving platforms.

snowboardcorey
12-17-2010, 02:24 PM
I'll beach from time to time, especially when the docks are busy. I'd rather take my chances with a little muck and sand than with a pile of newbies at the boat dock (yes, I'm talking to you mr. outboard tipped up!!!).

Razzman
12-17-2010, 02:30 PM
I try to avoid docks unless I am launching as that is where boats bang together, stuff is stolen and kids are using boats as diving platforms.

We only dock short term, usually to either gas up or hit the marina store. Somebody is always in the boat when we do (usually me!) and there's no chance of boats banging together. Seems like out here the kids all know not to touch anyone's boat and mine know better than to jump off it!

lsvboombox
12-17-2010, 02:41 PM
I have a hamby bumper on bass boat that I will beach on rare occasions... wouldn't beach the moomba though.....

Sabe
12-17-2010, 03:00 PM
Camp for days in a remote spot for smooth water and less of a crowd. Beach the boat all the time in sandy areas. Always check for rocks in new spots though.

bergermaister
12-17-2010, 03:02 PM
Out here in the west the mountain lakes typically have rocky edges, minimal beaches if any...

I'm on the Columbia River about 90% of the time with sandy beaches but I use the anchor buddy on the nose and keep the boat facing out in at least 4-5ft of water with another line to a sand stake off the rear. Even this far upstream we experience pretty significant tide changes and you will really regret it if you leave the boat sitting on the sand for too long (especially overnight).

Plus when it gets busy you don't want to be sitting on the sand when the rollers come crashing in to the beach...

Only time I put the nose of the boat on the beach is to unload gear or switch up passengers.

KG's Supra24
12-17-2010, 03:04 PM
We have multiple marinas which have food, gas, store. Hell even a subway. If you go to the more party lake, they even have bars on the water, never been, though. However i have never seen boats that could bump into each other? I can't even visualize this happening. Do boats tie off to one another? Here if you park at a dock, which you would tie off parallel with, there is no chance of a boat bumping you, you just run the risk of not bouying off properly and the dock scratching the boat. As far as boats parking in front of and behind, ive never seen any close enough to hit one another.

It also sounds like our ramps are a lot less crowded. If i go to the busy ramp, there is a chance that i will have to wait on 3 rigs, max, to get out of the way. The biggest cluster of boats ive seen waiting to load is probably 5. The ramp i usually go to, i've seen someone loading at the same time as me a handful of times.

zegm
12-17-2010, 03:13 PM
We had this conversation a couple years ago. It was pretty clear that those out west especially are completely averse to beaching-- with good reason due to rocky shores. But those of us in the south with the soft sand beach our boats all the time and you can't even tell.

Ok maybe Yankees living in the South beach their boats but I won't ever beach either one of mine! Just because we might have fine grit doesn't mean it isn't slowly eating the top coat away.
Two Anchors!!! :)

dusty2221
12-17-2010, 03:43 PM
My boat doesnt get beached. No way.

KSmith
12-17-2010, 05:18 PM
The Moomba does not get beached. If there is beaching to be done I break out the Bayliner. The lake I frequent (Allatoona) has nasty rocks and stumps in many places, not worth the risk to the Moomba.

rdlangston13
12-17-2010, 05:22 PM
i have only taken mine out twice since i got it but i have never beached it. im guessing my hull problems are from the previous owner beaching it. this is why i hate buying used stuff. i am going to invest in an anchor buddy before i take it out next this upcoming spring/summer

zegm
12-17-2010, 06:07 PM
The Moomba does not get beached. If there is beaching to be done I break out the Bayliner. The lake I frequent (Allatoona) has nasty rocks and stumps in many places, not worth the risk to the Moomba.

Having grown up on lake Allatoona this is probably where I got the "Rule" no beaching the boat even though it is now in Florida. Rocks and stumps rule on Allatoona.
Besides if we swim we float out in the middle of the lake. Anyone who has seen Deerpoint lake knows better than to beach near the woods around here. Those big Reptiles!!!
And when we dock to fuel up it is at the lift in the backyard. Yes hauling gas cans is a pain but I would have to take the boat out of the lift then drive way out of the way with the boat on the trailer to get one of the very few NON ethanol gasoline stations. I just take my gas cans up there and then get a nice work out carrying them down to the dock.

dusty2221
12-17-2010, 06:50 PM

Really? We have talked about this. We have 4 hippity hops in our boat, all deflated and fold up and fit in less than the spot of one of your big rubber bumbers.

kaneboats
12-17-2010, 06:53 PM
Ok maybe Yankees living in the South beach their boats but I won't ever beach either one of mine! Just because we might have fine grit doesn't mean it isn't slowly eating the top coat away.
Two Anchors!!! :)

Really? Must have been your wife that parked that LS on this particular day then, although I'm pretty sure that's you there in the pic:

http://i535.photobucket.com/albums/ee356/kaneboats/P9062703.jpg

rdlangston13
12-17-2010, 07:36 PM
its like a moomba party! i need to meet other moomba people in my area so we can cruise together haha

moombadaze
12-17-2010, 08:03 PM
Really? Must have been your wife that parked that LS on this particular day then, although I'm pretty sure that's you there in the pic:

BUSTED---LOL. its all good zegm.

Left to right. Zegm's Mobius LS, my LSV, Maxpower's Outback, Kaneboats Outback-sold

I beach mine rarely and then thats where Kaneboats directs me to park it, as you can see in this photo from last years Flint River Mini jam.

Cant remember being tied to a dock other than one time at Lake Lanier for a Moomba jamboree.

Hippy Hops rule-Ive got 4 of them.

dusty2221
12-17-2010, 08:14 PM
Peer pressure will get ya!

you da man
12-17-2010, 08:41 PM
What's up with the short shorts :p

BensonWdby
12-17-2010, 09:20 PM
Used to park my runabout in a lagoon on the beach almost every weekend in the summer for several years. Away from boat rollers and wave action. Never paid much attention to what was happening to the bow until I went to sell it (never waxed the boat) - then noticed significant wear at the contact point with the beach.

Since then I have never beached a boat.

We have a lift on our lake. When I take the boat to a friends down the lake I nose up to dock and drop everyone off (lately have been backing up to the dock and letting them use the platforom). Then I take the boat out to a reasonable depth and anchor and swim in or wade in.

harmsway
12-17-2010, 10:39 PM
I have never beached any of our boats. When we go to the lake for the day there are docks at the boat ramps but we usually do not tie up. Most of the time the ramps are busy and we try to get out of the way of the other boaters as quick as possible. There is nothing I hate more than some big ace boat tied to the docks and blocking the ramps (usually with a half dozen people in the boat and one person that can drive the boat and move the trailer everyone else looking stupid).
When we go camping at the lake we double anchor the boat about 10 feet off the shore line. I cringe everytime I see boats beached and watch them rock back and forth when other boats come by. If we are not pulling we anchor in 10-15 feet of water and swim or hang out.
The previous owner must have beached our boat, although he said he did not, but he installed a piece of extruded rubber down the front part of the keel. It measures about 4" wide and 5' long. I guess it is a great idea to save the bottom of the boat. But even with this on my boat I would never beach it.

KSmith
12-18-2010, 09:07 AM
The previous owner must have beached our boat, although he said he did not, but he installed a piece of extruded rubber down the front part of the keel. It measures about 4" wide and 5' long. I guess it is a great idea to save the bottom of the boat. But even with this on my boat I would never beach it..

I put one on my I/O, called a keel guard, works good, so I use my I/O when beaching is in order and planned ahead, the Moomba is as anchored off shore, if there is a need to get oh shore and no docks are available, well it's a good thing you brought your swim suit!

jmvotto
12-18-2010, 09:25 AM
no beaching up north, never, all stone and shale beach bottom. plus are lakes have residences all alroung the lakes no available beaching spots. docks bumpers and ropes. i have 6 bumpers for tie ups and docking. my boy scout training days makes my knott tying nice and secure.

skiyaker
12-18-2010, 09:46 AM
I've never beached mine- usually just drop an anchor. That was one nice thing about my pop's aluminum Party Deck 21- you could drive that dude right up on the beach without a second thought, although usually in Indiana you're better off staying away from the shore anyways.

wolfeman131
12-18-2010, 10:33 AM
Cant remember being tied to a dock other than one time at Lake Lanier for a Moomba jamboree.

Hippy Hops rule-Ive got 4 of them.

BUSTED ---- It's all good daze.

For the past 2 summers, I think I've seen your boat tied up to a dock & the hippity hops in use.

Look past the wings & yuengs and I think I see the bow of a LSV.

http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd344/wolfeman131/IMG_2180.jpg

bzubke1
12-18-2010, 10:50 AM
Soft sand/clay and the back of the boat is in 5 feet of water.
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k58/bzubke1/MobiusLSV-HammCreek.jpg

zegm
12-18-2010, 11:05 AM

Yeah that was the one and only exception, unless you got another shot in Sinclair you gonna pull on me! :)
I did it and I hated it! But in that narrow river there wasn't any other choice and having the sand rub the gelcoat off was better than having the anchors pull free and have her floating downstream in the current.

BensonWdby
12-18-2010, 11:10 AM
I think a lot of folks forget about the tracking fins in the center of the boat. When you have peolpe getting in the boat before you push off or as you come in you could be compressing the fins into the hull with some force from the bottom.

I consider beaching to be the same as sanding your keel with sandpaper between 220-600 grit depending on the surface. If you are subject to incoming rollers it just makes things worse. But that is all theory. The real test comes from the guys who do it regularly. Lots of guys here seem to beach. It would be interesting to see their keels.

bzubke1
12-18-2010, 11:17 AM
If you're worried about being rough on the hull you can just bring the nose close to the beach, hop off the bow and grab under the bow eye and lift up and pull it ashore. This is how I used to do it or if I'm somewhere I've never beached. Using this method the hull barely rubs on the bottom. I'm thinking about getting one of those keel guards though just for a little added protection.

rdlangston13
12-18-2010, 01:11 PM
If you're worried about being rough on the hull you can just bring the nose close to the beach, hop off the bow and grab under the bow eye and lift up and pull it ashore. This is how I used to do it or if I'm somewhere I've never beached. Using this method the hull barely rubs on the bottom. I'm thinking about getting one of those keel guards though just for a little added protection.

if you do get a keel guard let me know how it works for yah, i might get one too. nothing wrong with a little bit of added insurance

moombadaze
12-18-2010, 08:01 PM
BUSTED ---- It's all good daze.

For the past 2 summers, I think I've seen your boat tied up to a dock & the hippity hops in use.

Look past the wings & yuengs and I think I see the bow of a LSV.

http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd344/wolfeman131/IMG_2180.jpg

got me, LOL, for some reason that totally slipped my mind.

Now for some strange reason Im now thirsty and hungry for bbq chicken, man that was a fun vacation

wolfeman131
12-18-2010, 09:17 PM
yes Sir! A ton of fun and we'll have more at Sinclair Jam 2011!!!

Grant M
12-19-2010, 02:07 AM
Beach the Moomba...No No Never Never. My Dad's 16.5' Silverline I/O was another thing - it was always beached with the stern leg pushed into the sand. It did grind down the bottom gelcoat but it was white and you couldn't tell.

https://forum.moomba.com/picture.php?albumid=362&pictureid=3024

kaneboats
12-20-2010, 12:36 PM
yes Sir! A ton of fun and we'll have more at Sinclair Jam 2011!!!

I'll be there with bells on!

Garn
12-20-2010, 03:53 PM
I installed KeelGuard on my 07 LS this past Summer. It was a pretty simple process. Took me about an hour total I would guess. It looks great and really protects the bottom of the boat. There was also zero change in performance as well. So I'm quite happy with it.

Garn

rdlangston13
12-20-2010, 08:14 PM
I installed KeelGuard on my 07 LS this past Summer. It was a pretty simple process. Took me about an hour total I would guess. It looks great and really protects the bottom of the boat. There was also zero change in performance as well. So I'm quite happy with it.

Garn

do you have and pictures of this?

sandm
12-21-2010, 09:09 AM
that keelguard would be a good investment for anyone that does beach. it would be a must-have for me if I lived in the south with the sandy banks.

mcdye
12-21-2010, 09:21 AM
do you have and pictures of this?

I believe there are several one...this will give you an idea..

http://www.keelguard.com/

KSmith
12-22-2010, 08:14 AM
Beach the Moomba...No No Never Never. My Dad's 16.5' Silverline I/O was another thing - it was always beached with the stern leg pushed into the sand. It did grind down the bottom gelcoat but it was white and you couldn't tell.

https://forum.moomba.com/picture.php?albumid=362&pictureid=3024

My dad had a 16.5 Silverline, gold. Ugly gold. Really ugly gold. It was an early-mid 70's model. He gave it to me when he decided he was too old to mess with it. I was towing out here to Georgia from Idaho when it met it's eternal resting place just outside of Rock Springs WY... Apparently my dad didn't maintain the grease in the hubs as well as one might expect throughout the years... so there we were tooling down 191 about 65 MPH and I get passed by this wheel and tire flying down the road.

How odd, I thought, not something you see every day. It was then I noticed the vast amount of sparks flying off the passenger side of the boat trailer. Well long story short the bearing had failed, hub/wheel/tire came off the passenger side, somehow managed to get behind the boat and pass me on the drivers side... and BOOM went the boat when the axle failed...

May it rest in peace, and pieces, had lots of good times on that boat...

zabooda
12-22-2010, 05:17 PM
Sorry for your loss but it is too funny. Did you disconnect and keep driving? The boat probably is still resting there minus a few items considered valuable by the locals.

KSmith
12-22-2010, 05:33 PM
Sorry for your loss but it is too funny. Did you disconnect and keep driving? The boat probably is still resting there minus a few items considered valuable by the locals.

Well we did disconnect and ran into Rock Springs, called up a towing company with long tilt flatbed. With the winch, multiple jacks and some cribbing we finally got it on the flatbed and they took it to a boat shop in Green River, which was closed of course. Went and had dinner, discovered I couldn't pay for dinner as I'd left my wallet on top of the pay phone at the gas station where I called the tow company, wife paid for dinner and we went back to the gas station. We got real lucky, a trucker had used the phone shortly after I had, took the wallet inside, called cops, gave cops wallet.. So off we go to find the cop shop. Finally get wallet, cop was resistant as he claimed I looked nothing like the photo, I was well no shit Sherlock, I haven't shaved for a week, I am covered in grease, sweat and dirt and have had a really bad day!!

Anyway, got wallet, went and got a hotel room and crashed. Next day went to boat shop when they opened and inspected the boat... After that we left the boat with the boat shop guys, wished them luck on salvage and drove back to Georgia. It was repairable but not worth the cost to me. I suspect they pulled the engine, old 4 banger Merc I/O. Outdrive was roughed up durning the sliding along the highway, but the engine should have been sound still.

I'm pretty sure we paid the tow company, but thinking back I'm not sure when or how... Hmm....

zabooda
12-22-2010, 06:12 PM
I stopped once in Rock Springs back in the early 80's to see a friend and it reminded me of what life would be like living on the moon. Barren and huge boulders all over the place. I apologize if anyone on here lives in Rock Springs but that was a lasting impression.

rdlangston13
12-22-2010, 08:18 PM
Rock Springs, WY is a pretty neat place, go to spend a couple months there this last summer for work. If you have time it is fun to go climb to the top of Pilot Butte and go see Boars Tusk or the sand dunes. Also in Green River there is a lot of history on Expedition Island (i think that is what it was called). Would not recommend visiting in the winter however, it can get to -50.