PDA

View Full Version : The official holiday food thread poll

sandm
12-16-2010, 11:22 AM
So since we seem to have all kinds of random topics going on right now, more than likely due to the boredom that has set in from pretty much the entire country being "winterized" at the time, figured it's time to talk about adding a few pounds over the next 2 weeks :)

what's your poison over the holidays..

personally, I really dislike turkey. dry, doesn't taste good leftover and needs some topping to really give it some taste. it's been 10 years since I've cooked a turkey for any holiday. did hams for a few years, but the last 3-4 have been prime rib. did an 11lb this summer and it was magnificent. have a 13lb kobe beef prime in the freezer right now just waiting to be cooked :)

kaneboats
12-16-2010, 12:32 PM
If you do a turkey right it's not dry at all. Unfortunately, grandma had no idea what she was doing and that's why we all had to slop gravy over the dry bird. Try cooking it upside down and don't overcook it (as almost everyone does-- the weight of the bird is not what it says on the package. That's the sale weight that includes neck, giblets and water they pump into it. The chart in the cookbook is based on the actual weight of the bird. Most people remember they bought a 20 lb turkey (package weight) and overcook their 15 lb. (cooking weight) bird by almost 2 hours. (You can also try deep frying it-- it will not be dry.)

As for leftovers, we make turkey salad and it's gone in day around here.

Anyway, we have lasagna on Christmas, not because we are Italian, but because I have a great recipe that everyone, including kids, loves. We also have baked potato soup on Christmas Eve. It makes kids sleepy and that's a good thing.

Still, I cant argue with a prime rib. That sounds fantastic!

wolfeman131
12-16-2010, 12:48 PM
I ususally try something new each year. Past few include prime rib, rack of lamb, tenderloins & cornish hens (the kiddos loved having their own "liitle turkey"). This year we were on a cruise for Thanksgiving and I missed having some of my family favorites, so it's a big old bird for Christmas.

Couple of tricks to add to Kane's for getting a great bird - smother a piece of cheesecloth in butter and wrap the bird, cover it in a roasting pan and cook low and slow. Use a meat thermometer to let you know it's done. Take the cover & cloth off for about 1/2 hr to brown & crisp it up.

Anything on a Big Green Egg comes out juicy & deliciious.

Frying a bird is fan-frigging-tastic, but is more enjoyable when it's warm and you have a few buddies over drinking beers. It's also the most dangerous. But, nothing says The Holidays more than drunk dudes and hot oil.

you da man
12-16-2010, 01:26 PM
Fried turkey FTW!!!!

dusty2221
12-16-2010, 04:32 PM
Generally, we have briskit or Mexican food. Ha, quite the stretch. But both are always amazing.

lsvboombox
12-16-2010, 05:05 PM
deep fried turkey..... so juicy!!!!!

rdlangston13
12-16-2010, 10:05 PM
where is the turduckhen option!?!?

RobertJ
12-16-2010, 10:06 PM
Smoked Baby Back Ribs on the pellet grill :D