PDA

View Full Version : How many of you have more than one board???

saskyrider
12-15-2010, 04:46 PM
So i was reading the garage storage thread and notice that many of you have more than one wakeboard and surfboard.. just curious as to why?? I get it if it's for the wife or kid. I just really wouldn't want to deal with another board to store and cart around if i don't have to!

waiting to be enlightened....

Geoff :p

dusty2221
12-15-2010, 04:58 PM
Why?

I think the question is WHY NOT!?!?!? Different boards ride diffrently, wake and surf. It's fun to change it up.

KSmith
12-15-2010, 05:37 PM
Count me in the multi wakeboard, (6) two of the six are for the smaller riders, multi wakesurf boards (2), multi slalom skis (4), a set each of adult and youth combo waterskis, a set HO wakeskis... and yes, several different towables (3) of differing configurations... Oh, and a kneeboard too...

And no, I do not haul them all in one outting, we plan ahead who is going out and what toys are coming along.

Hmmm no wonder the wife gives me grief, didn't seem so bad until now...

saskyrider
12-15-2010, 05:47 PM
I get the fact that boards ride different... if i want to switch it up i throw my buddies board on... i just hate clutter in the boat i guess. However i think things are going to get more cluttered now that i have to get a surf board and probably one for the kids and probably a wakeboard for the kids... oh no!! lol i see where this is going! HA..

flex
12-15-2010, 05:48 PM
always good to have an extra for someone to learn on. i don't put in the boat unless i have a rider that doesn't have a board.

jester
12-15-2010, 06:24 PM
One reason is for backup. Who wants a broken pair of bindings to take you out from a day of riding. Another would be for different guests. When I go out i put all the boards in the truck and only the boards i am using right now go into the boat. Always good to have them on hand.

you da man
12-15-2010, 06:52 PM
I have 3 surfboards...Shred Stixx for me, Ronix Koal for my girlfriend, and LF Venture for noobs and heavy weights. 4 wakeboards...my Slingshot, my girlfriend's Slingshot, a 142 Ronix Arcade with universal bindings for guys, LF 134 Trip with girls universal bindings for the ladies. I rarely have more than 3 in my boat that actually board so hardly even use my racks. The boards will fit in the V-Drive lockers.

Ian Brantford
12-15-2010, 07:26 PM
I have five wakeboards of various sizes and skill levels. One is my personal one with closed-toe bindings that do not accommodate much variation in size, so only a couple of guests have ever used that. The other four boards, along with two sets of bindings, are mixed and matched depending on the rider. I seldom bring all of them.

There is no clutter because boards usually go in the racks.

We also usually bring a hydrofoil, but that also has its own rack. Any other gear (kneeboards and wakesurf boards) are only occasionally present and typically go in the observer storage if they won't fit in a rack.

moombadaze
12-15-2010, 09:05 PM
2 kneeboards
1 set combo skis
6 surfboards
2 wakeboads
why some many boards--dang good question and not sure I want to answer it

sandm
12-15-2010, 10:19 PM
3 surfboards, beginner, mine and another random board.
2 wakeboards, my beginner that seems to fit anyone, and my new personal board with size-specific closed toe bindings...

not as many as others, but having the variety ensures that you are able to help anyone that you have come out enjoy the outing as much as you do.. nothing like taking a noob out and teaching them watersports and not having to fight a piece of gear that is totally wrong for them ... not to mention the value of used equipment. it's worth much more to keep around than the few $$ a craiglister will try to fight you down to :)

dusty2221
12-15-2010, 10:34 PM
This thread makes me want another board. Lol. Way to go.

KG's Supra24
12-15-2010, 11:06 PM
clutter? Isn't that what the tower is for?

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs011.snc4/33908_1635518412974_1387119432_1598409_5772393_n.j pg

just as much as its nice to have equip for all to enjoy, its great to have a place to store it.

2 surf - newb and skim, hoping to add a walker
3 wake - old, new, and wife
Wakeskate
Few tubes and large inflatable island
The buddies that ride with me have their own boards.

I agree with sandm, having the old boards around for others to use is usually worth more than what you can sell them for.

scoot_gt
12-15-2010, 11:41 PM

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs011.snc4/33908_1635518412974_1387119432_1598409_5772393_n.j pg

^ I love this!

I have 5 wakeboards myself.

1 - Keep at home to go ride at any moment with friends
1 - Mine at the lake, no one else uses it
1 - For the wifey
2 - Others for guest to use with diff size boots on them

This doesn't include the kneeboard, surfboard, wakeskate, water skis, etc...

wolfeman131
12-15-2010, 11:58 PM
Kiddos are why we have multiples. I try to go with used/value priced stuff to start to make sure they are interested, then end up keeping it to let guests beat up. The collection has grown and grown and I know that Santa has a few more goodies for them this year.

4 surfboards - LF Venture, LakeWkes GROM, LakeWakes 4.2 and Inland Surfer Blue Lake
3 wakeboards - LF Star, LF Fish, LF ?
2 kneeboards
trainer skis
junior skis
adult skis
slalom ski
6 tubes

Best part is that we used all this stuff at least once this past year.

KG's Supra24
12-16-2010, 12:03 AM
a set HO wakeski

Saw some of these two years ago in a store and wanted to try them ever since.

you da man
12-16-2010, 01:08 AM

just as much as its nice to have equip for all to enjoy, its great to have a place to store it.

2 surf - newb and skim, hoping to add a walker
3 wake - old, new, and wife
Wakeskate
Few tubes and large inflatable island
The buddies that ride with me have their own boards.

I agree with sandm, having the old boards around for others to use is usually worth more than what you can sell them for.

That's my worst nightmare. I know that all those boards are not for 10-12 people but damn...maybe it is. I couldn't imagine having 6-7 or more boarders on my boat at a time. That would mean 6-7 hours on the lake with only two sets...I'd be wore out with just sitting or driving. Nice that you can share the boat though

VA LSV
12-16-2010, 07:29 AM
Don't forget ropes and vests. You can never have enough vests. When we need to make room for new gear we give to friends what our kids have outgrown or donate to the local Boy Scouts who have an aquatics base on our lake. Boat shows are a good place to find deals on gear while checking out the new boats.

saskyrider
12-16-2010, 11:02 AM
KG that is insane!!! it looks like your tower is made out of boards!! lol! Out situation makes it so i can leave everything that were not using on the dock and just take out what the crew i have in the boat will use... when we go in a re-load we can switch out gear as needed. I haven't gotten anything for my moomba yet but am planning on hitting the boat show in saskatoon in the early 2011.

geoff

KG's Supra24
12-16-2010, 11:02 AM
That's my worst nightmare. I know that all those boards are not for 10-12 people but damn...maybe it is. I couldn't imagine having 6-7 or more boarders on my boat at a time. That would mean 6-7 hours on the lake with only two sets...I'd be wore out with just sitting or driving. Nice that you can share the boat though

Nope, there were just the 3 you see in the pic and myself taking the pic that day. That pic is actually from the lake ouachita trip when Dusty and Chad (cmtaylor777) came down to visit. We gathered up several surf boards for a little demo day. First time i had actually used the z5 for boards.

dusty2221
12-16-2010, 11:27 AM
not to mention all but the girls boards were ridden

kaneboats
12-16-2010, 12:41 PM
1 kids trainer skimmer, 6 wakeboards, 1 kneeboard, 4 slalom skis, 1 jr. pair skis, 1 baby pair, 2 tubes, 1 banana, and 1 surfboard. Anybody see a deficiency here? I think it's time for a second surf board. Santa, are you listening?

you da man
12-16-2010, 01:28 PM
1 kids trainer skimmer, 6 wakeboards, 1 kneeboard, 4 slalom skis, 1 jr. pair skis, 1 baby pair, 2 tubes, 1 banana, and 1 surfboard. Anybody see a deficiency here? I think it's time for a second surf board. Santa, are you listening?

Or a second Z5

mmandley
12-16-2010, 01:46 PM
As for personal gear i cant realy see having more then 1 wake board. As each does have a little different ride to them id think it would be harder to adjust to.

Surfboards i can see having multiples for different types of skill and whether you want to do tricks or just a easy ride.

We have 4 wake boards normaly on our tower.
Mine
Claudia
Steve
and another guest.

We share mine and Steves board alot because we can cover size 10 to 13 bindings between out boots.

Surf boards we carry 2 normaly on the Z5
LF Venture for the slow easy ride
Shaka for the more advanced ride.

Might add another to the collection this year, idk i was about to add one to my collection and then Al bought all of them before i could get one.

jamie_abb
12-17-2010, 11:03 AM
My board had the foam that molds to your foot. Coming from a snowboarding background, I can't stand a board that feels loose on my feet so nobody gets to use my board.

We have a CWB that anyone can use, a hyperite kids model for my kids and a Body Glove for the noob kids.

On the surf boards, I was hoping the IS would be easier for the kids to get up on but in the end they can get up on the cover of a shoebox.

rdlangston13
12-18-2010, 12:34 AM
i have ummmmm 1 used slalom ski that i bought for 15 bucks from our dealer, 1 used pair of skis i bought for 25 bucks from the dealer, one tube, and umm thats it! but i am also new at this whole boat thing...

yearround
12-18-2010, 01:41 AM
we have
1 board for myself, that need to be replaced this year
1 board, midsize, my teenage kids board
1 board for any reason
1 board for groms
3 slalom ski
1 combo skis
1 kids combo skis
1 set old skool trick ski
1 kneeboard (w2w on kneeboard with loaded boat is awesome)
1 surf
tubes
not everything goes out, but some go no matter what, and most get used

QUOTE=rdlangston13;120390]i have ummmmm 1 used slalom ski that i bought for 15 bucks from our dealer, 1 used pair of skis i bought for 25 bucks from the dealer, one tube, and umm thats it! but i am also new at this whole boat thing...[/QUOTE]

well, that is a start! use them them move up. i have had some cheap stuff, then i have learned what i like/don't like. don't be afraid to stop someone on the lake and ask if you can borrow their board, explain your situation, they can only tell you no, i have been able to demo a few boards, and even got to ride behind a few other boats, and i have shared with others as well.

We also usually bring a hydrofoil, but that also has its own rack.

what kind of rack do you have and where does it go? finding a rack that works for me has been a big reason i have not bought a chair yet.

KSmith
12-18-2010, 08:42 AM
i have ummmmm 1 used slalom ski that i bought for 15 bucks from our dealer, 1 used pair of skis i bought for 25 bucks from the dealer, one tube, and umm thats it! but i am also new at this whole boat thing...

Not to worry, your collection will continue to grow a bit more each year... Now if my investments could just do as well :-)

jmvotto
12-19-2010, 09:37 AM
Not to worry, your collection will continue to grow a bit more each year... Now if my investments could just do as well :-)

buying a boat is not and investment??;)

2 surf boards
3 wake boards
1 fun board
1 jimmy jam
1 knee board
2 tubes
1 slalom ski
1 combo pr
1 jr. skis

thankfully for the shed at the cottage, it needs to be bigger:p

DOCDRS
12-20-2010, 12:13 AM
Ahhhhh and I remember the days when we would head out with no racks , no ski's , no wake, surf, skim or knee boards, no hydrofoils , no ballast bags just us, our suits and nothing but glass or butter to cut :)..........those were the days............oops we might have had a pair of shoe skis but other than that it was nothing but our feet :) or a foot :) :)

schuylski
12-20-2010, 01:09 AM
HA! +1 for the shoe ski's - My dad has a pair he had us bring along one day and they didn't take up any room. They just about sunk and the rubber was so hard it would barely move. But they were fun and added several good wipeouts to our day.

Ian Brantford
12-20-2010, 02:20 AM
what kind of rack do you have and where does it go? finding a rack that works for me has been a big reason i have not bought a chair yet.

It was indeed a big bother to have the hydrofoil in the boat until we got the rack.

I got the Comptech pivoting rack from SkySki: http://skyski.com/store/2010-pivoting-hydrofoil-rack-with-optional-strut-locker.html

However, I passed over the Samson version mainly because it was brand new at the time and it was hard to get information. Comptech had a Youtube video that made everything clear. The Samson does have one very attractive design difference, which is having two clamps for the tower instead of one. That must greatly reduce the stress on the attachment points. If buying again, I would research the Samson further. http://www.samsonsports.com/hydrofoil_racks.html

Forget the Airboom. I saw comments from owners saying that its attractive price was matched by its lesser stability. There is little point to buying an entry-level hydrofoil rack, just as there is little point to buying an entry-level hydrofoil; you'll soon want to upgrade.

On the XLV's tower, I mounted the rack on the port side (tower's rear vertical tube) such that the hydrofoil is upside-down and pointed to the stern. The foil doesn't clear the top of the tower, bur rather swings around the tower's corner. It would need to clear the top by several inches in the LSV. This was the only obvious way to get it to pivot into the boat and be low enough to easily handle. I did not like the high mounting as Comptech showed in their Youtube video.