PDA

View Full Version : Never Bought a Wakeboard

rdlangston13
12-15-2010, 11:00 AM
So I have never bought a wake board and I was looking at them online and it seems they all the boards have a number grouping (I assume this is related to size of the board due to different sized riders) and I was just wonder how I would choose which size to purchase. Also what is the standard rope length for wakeboarding?

sandm
12-15-2010, 11:24 AM
although I love a good online purchase, I do have to say that I gained a lot of knowledge heading down to my local boat shop and buying both my wakeboards from a seasoned boarder. It was nice to hear his opinions on different boards, how they ride and, based on height/weight, what he would recommend for me as both a beginner and as I have developed some(read not much) skill, what would be my next purchase.

There will be lots of recommendations from different peeps, but that would be my advice. visit your local shop..

rdlangston13
12-15-2010, 11:48 AM
yeah, im just trying to save money via the online route. what as recommended to you?

sandm
12-15-2010, 12:03 PM
don't even remember what I have on the wall at home. doesn't really matter as my first board is 4y.o. and out of production and my latest purchase winter 2009 is disco as well. wakeboards are all sold based on height/weight and experience, whether you want a single, 2 or 3stage rocker and your riding style. I totally understand the online route, but a shop will be able to better match your skills/style and get you into something you can learn/grow with and not struggle or be disappointed with your purchase for a few $$ saved. remember that it's off season for most and with 2011 gear coming out, you should be able to find some savings on 2010 gear. the $50 or so that you save online will be long forgotten with a mismatched board/binding setup..

now ropes, I have no idea on length, but for a beginner, I would not have any issues picking up online. most aren't going to notice the difference in a beginner and a "pro" rope.

you da man
12-15-2010, 12:08 PM
Probably one of the most popular newbie boards that will let you progress as well is the CWB Faction. I'm a Slingshot fan because it's a flex board. It's super light, thin, and flexes (almost all boards are traditional stiff boards). First time out on the board I was amazed at how much better the board felt compared to my Ronix. You will find sizing opinions vary, however, most seasoned riders will ride up a size. I'm 155lbs and ride a 141cm Slingshot Reflex. eBay has great deals on wake equipment but some of the online retainers like Evo.com, Boardstop.com, Buywake.com, and The-house.com have a clearance section. You can mix different brand bindings and boards as well. I use Ronix One bindings on my Slingshot. I'm sure there are shops in Houston area (maybe the Tige dealer) that have a large bakeshop and you can demo boards. I would stay away from boards with a 3-stage rocker being a beginner.

dusty2221
12-15-2010, 12:12 PM
Rope length is kinda a preference and skill level depending on person. Common though, is 65' -80'. I have guys in my crew that ride at 65' while I prefer 75'.

As far as boards, there are general size rules, but its also personal preference. I'm 5'8ish and about 178 or so and ride a Slingshot 138. I love it. Some guys like a larger board, some like small. You really need to demo a few if possible to determine what fits you best. And as far as the rockers go, you da man suggests staying away from 3 stage. I couldn't disagree more. I absolutely love a 3 stage vs continuous. Just because a board has a 3 stage and offers the ability for massive pop does not mean you have to utilize it. A 3 stage can be ridden as mellow as you like, its all in how you carve and hit the wake. You have to learn to ride it.

you da man
12-15-2010, 12:18 PM
As far as ropes go, as a beginner some will say to ride long 70-80' for yor first jumps. Reason is, you'll be working on technique to jump outside the wake to inside the wake and with the long rope you'll have a wide wake to land comfortably in the middle without landing on top of the second wake (aka: casing the landing) and faceplanting. Also, long rope will let you jump the wake from inside to out. Others will say to ride 55-60' as a newbie. I Agee with this to a degree but only after you get your basic heelside and toeside jumps down (maybe even wake 180's into the middle of the wake) at long line, then bring in the line short so you can take the jumps wake to wake. My opinion is that the Accurate X-line is the best rope for every boat to have. It's 70' so with the handle you'll be at 75' and you can shorten it down to 55'

you da man
12-15-2010, 12:26 PM
Don't forget about the rope handle because they vary just as much as boards and bindings. Best handle out there is the Proline LGS and it's not the most expensive...just the most popular for a reason.

kaneboats
12-15-2010, 01:14 PM
If you are brand new, look at the lower priced Liquid Force boards like Omega, Trip, Stance, etc. Any of these will get you riding and you will learn more what you like. I also suggest THE BOOK dvd series. Great stuff!

bzubke1
12-15-2010, 04:09 PM
What's your height and weight that would help in determining about what size board you need. I'm 6 ft. and about 165-170 and ride a watson 143 before that I rode a transcend 142. I prefer a larger board. I feel like they give more pop and softer landings.

I might be a little different than everybody else because I say screw the beginner boards and jump right to a pro model. It'll save you money in the long run and honestly if you're a beginner you prolly won't feel much of a difference between boards. When I first started I rode a friends hydroslide wal-mart board and another friends liquid force watson back to back and could even tell a difference.

Most importantly make sure you get a comfortable set of binding no matter what board you get. If you're bindings are rubbing on you wierd or something you're not gonna have a good time on the water no matter what board you have.

bzubke1
12-15-2010, 04:11 PM
As far as ropes go, as a beginner some will say to ride long 70-80' for yor first jumps. Reason is, you'll be working on technique to jump outside the wake to inside the wake and with the long rope you'll have a wide wake to land comfortably in the middle without landing on top of the second wake (aka: casing the landing) and faceplanting. Also, long rope will let you jump the wake from inside to out. Others will say to ride 55-60' as a newbie. I Agee with this to a degree but only after you get your basic heelside and toeside jumps down (maybe even wake 180's into the middle of the wake) at long line, then bring in the line short so you can take the jumps wake to wake. My opinion is that the Accurate X-line is the best rope for every boat to have. It's 70' so with the handle you'll be at 75' and you can shorten it down to 55'

I agree with the longer line for people who are just starting to jump. My gf is famous for jumping the first wake successfully then hitting the second straight into a nasty faceplant.

maxpower220
12-15-2010, 04:18 PM
If at all possible, you need to ride a few boards to understand what you like. Everyone has a different style of riding. Once you find a board that you like, you can learn how that board is made and from there you can make a better decision on your new board. You need to research the following terms and understand what the do on the board: rail, rocker, relief, and length.

Rope length will be determined by the rider and the boat. The wideth of the wake created by the boat will be different on each boat and at different speeds. The riders ability to cross said wake will be different. The speed should be set by rider comfort, rope length by the riders ability to cross wake to wake at that speed.

No one can tell you the best board for you or the best rope length.

TL7
12-16-2010, 11:32 PM
To the OP.....just saw that you are in Katy and work for a blue oilfield company. I work for the same company in Sugarland. I'm also probably within 20 miles of you. I live off of 99 just south of 59. I have several boards and you're more than welcome to try them out before you buy. Might give you a better feel for what you want. Feel free to drop me an email at t.leissner @ yahoo.com

rdlangston13
04-05-2011, 01:30 AM
What's your height and weight that would help in determining about what size board you need. I'm 6 ft. and about 165-170 and ride a watson 143 before that I rode a transcend 142. I prefer a larger board. I feel like they give more pop and softer landings.

I might be a little different than everybody else because I say screw the beginner boards and jump right to a pro model. It'll save you money in the long run and honestly if you're a beginner you prolly won't feel much of a difference between boards. When I first started I rode a friends hydroslide wal-mart board and another friends liquid force watson back to back and could even tell a difference.

Most importantly make sure you get a comfortable set of binding no matter what board you get. If you're bindings are rubbing on you wierd or something you're not gonna have a good time on the water no matter what board you have.

I am 6 foot about 200 lbs. What is a rocker and what do the stages of the rocker affect? What is a good way to test bindings in the store to ensure that they will not feel like crap on the water? Will any bindings work with any board? Does this stuff always get sold seperate?

bzubke1
04-05-2011, 11:37 AM
I am 6 foot about 200 lbs. What is a rocker and what do the stages of the rocker affect? What is a good way to test bindings in the store to ensure that they will not feel like crap on the water? Will any bindings work with any board? Does this stuff always get sold seperate?

For your size a 142-143 should be good and theres a lot of board choices in those lenghts. Here's a good explanation of the different rockers. http://connection.wakeside.com/buyers-guides/wakeboards/wakeboard-rocker/ At the store they will prolly have some boots mounted to a board so you should be able to put em on and lace em up to see how they feel. It seems like most of the new boards have a 6 inch spread for the binding mounting holes and a lot of the new bindings have six inch spred as well. So you can mix and match board brands and binding brands as long as they both have the same binding mount width. You can actually use six inch bindings with a board that has 8 inch mounting holes but you wont be able to have a very wide stance unless you have some clips like this. http://store.ridecwb.com/products/productdetail/Extendo%20Clamps%20%282%29/part_number=2011ExtendoClamps/1449.0.1.1.2477.0.0.0.0?pp=25&

you da man
04-05-2011, 11:54 AM
Also, there are closed toe and open toe bindings. I prefer closed toe myself.

KG's Supra24
04-05-2011, 01:08 PM
Also, there are closed toe and open toe bindings. I prefer closed toe myself.

This is another place you can save money in the long run. By the closed toe up front. If you buy the open toe now, you are going to want the closed toe by next summer.

Evogear.com carries a nice variety of boards and bindings at a good price.

rdlangston13
04-05-2011, 03:37 PM
what performance difference is there between closed toe and open toe bindings?

KG's Supra24
04-05-2011, 04:29 PM
Performance, perhaps not alot of difference. They look cooler, though! :D

I like them for the following reasons:
You buy them based on shoe size, not small, medium, large.
Mine actually go on much easier than my open toe ones did
I feel like they give me a little more control (dunno if its true)
They are warmer when we are out in the spring and fall
And mostly, because they look better. Ha!

bzubke1
04-05-2011, 05:43 PM
All the best looking boots are closed toe imo. The only problem i've ever had with closed toes bindings was jamming my toe against the front of the boot but that was when I had a pair that was slightly too big with my new boots i've never had that problem. I'm a big fan of all the new CWB bindings that use the gen-6 plate. They are so comfortable.

rdlangston13
04-05-2011, 07:09 PM
how much would a set of those CWB bindings set me back?

KG's Supra24
04-05-2011, 07:17 PM
Check out evogear. They have a lot of good sales. If you are willing to buy a 2010 model, you can save some pretty good money ... I personally see no reason to buy the 2011 models.

http://www.evo.com/outlet/wakeboard-bindings/liquid-force-vantage-ct-closed-toe-boots-2010.aspx

http://www.evo.com/outlet/wakeboard-bindings/hyperlite-audio-boots-2009.aspx#image=24584.Color.Hardgoods_Black_Image. jpg

http://www.evo.com/outlet/wakeboard-bindings/ronix-frank-boots-2010.aspx

There are a few examples. It looks like right now they are only displaying free shipping but they change their deals every week or two. You should be able to catch a 20% off outlet or spend $350 and get $100 off. They have been running those throughout winter.

I'm not familar with CWB so i'll let someone else answer that. I did buy my brother a set of the CWB answers for less than $200, though. Got those as an entry level cheap closed toe.

You wouldn't grow out of this setup anytime soon ... http://www.evo.com/outlet/wakeboards/ronix-bill-wakeboard-frank-boots-2010.aspx#image=31741.Size.LengthCM_142_Image.jpg

bzubke1
04-05-2011, 07:40 PM
The faction bindings are 279. Here's a package deal. http://www.buywake.com/catalog/detail/11faction3844faction I know the factions are a comfortable binding. I've never ridden the faction board but I've heard a lot of people like it.

rdlangston13
04-05-2011, 07:48 PM
not a big fan of the pink.

dang this crap is expensive

bzubke1
04-05-2011, 09:05 PM
Yeah thats why I think its important to buy local, as long as they aren't way over priced. You get to see everything try it on and maybe demo it. Also if you have a good local shop they should be able to help you out a lot as far as warranties go. I'm super lucky to have an awesome pro shop 3 miles from my front door.

rdlangston13
04-05-2011, 10:19 PM
the only place close to me that i can think of is sun and ski sports, and they dont really specialize in anything. not sure how good their selection will be

bzubke1
04-05-2011, 10:47 PM
Then you're probably better off gettin your gear online. Buywake.com has some good deals on some 2010 stuff.

KG's Supra24
04-06-2011, 09:34 AM
That faction setup is a pretty good deal. bzubke is right about buying local and warranty. I bought my bindings locally and it has helped a ton on warranty issues. Hopefully you won't have any issues, though. I just bought a bunk pair of bindings, stay away from the 2010 Byerly bindings.

rdlangston13
04-06-2011, 09:50 AM
ok well thanks for the help guys! i will probably pick one up as soon as my tow vehicle dilemma is sorted out

rdlangston13
04-06-2011, 10:41 AM
yall keep saying the closed toe boots look better but i just dont see it. they look goofy as hell to me, like giant clown sneakers

rdlangston13
04-08-2011, 09:50 AM
http://houston.craigslist.org/spo/2293173484.html

what do yall think of this?

rdlangston13
04-08-2011, 10:23 AM
also what size board is good for a rider who is 5'4" 133lbs?

bzubke1
04-08-2011, 10:37 AM
Prolly in the 130 135 range. You can find better deals that that. People on craigslist seem to think these 5 year old entry level boards are dipped in gold or something. Check the gcwa classifieds and wakeworld classified.

For your lady.
http://www.wakeworld.com/classifields/viewlisting.php?view=1592

For you.

Since your into the open toe bindings.
http://www.buywake.com/catalog/detail/11Kink40Vapor

http://www.buywake.com/catalog/detail/11pure30torq

http://www.buywake.com/catalog/detail/11vaultdivide

rdlangston13
04-08-2011, 11:34 AM
brandon, im gonna have to buy you a case of beer or something. you are very helpful in this!

rdlangston13
04-08-2011, 11:36 AM
ok so the bindings on the girl board are open toe but they say size 5, what kind of variance does it have? like will they sizee a couple sizes up and down from size 5 or if you where a 5 shoe then that is all it will fit?

bhowell
04-08-2011, 05:19 PM
The local shop I like in Houston is M2 Sports. They have a couple of locations.

I also have three boards and three bindings (open and closed toe) which you can try out if you want. The two boards I like are 135 and 138 but I also have a 143 that would fit you better. Maybe we can try them out next weekend.

rdlangston13
04-08-2011, 05:48 PM
The local shop I like in Houston is M2 Sports. They have a couple of locations.

I also have three boards and three bindings (open and closed toe) which you can try out if you want. The two boards I like are 135 and 138 but I also have a 143 that would fit you better. Maybe we can try them out next weekend.

Well you are more than welcome to join us out on somerville, we will be there all day saturday the 16 and sunday the 17. We are camping out at big creek marina and camp gound and like I said, I will give you a pull so you can see how the harpoon sounds with 2 pair of SXT65Qs.

I do not think that with my skill level specific boards will make much of a difference but i will try them out. i am just wanting a middle of the road board maybe for an intermediate rider so i dont feel the need to upgrade right away

rdlangston13
04-08-2011, 08:13 PM
why are wakeboard ropes so damned expensive in comparison to other tow ropes?

yearround
04-08-2011, 11:04 PM

ya, good question, i think it is because they can charge it, but it does make a difference to have a non stretch rope.

take those guys up on the offer to try their boards. it helps a lot to feel the different performances. i would think the 143 would be way to big for you, but you would really get big air with your weight and the size of that board. i like to ride other boards as often as i can, just to keep trying.

get on an old entry board once in a while to appreciate the better board too.

KG's Supra24
04-09-2011, 08:52 AM
Non-stretch is the way to go. I wouldn't skimp on that aspect of the rope. Coated vs non-coated is the other decision you have to make.

I also agree on trying other boards and the 143 being too large for you.

I think you are making the right call on trying to find an intermediate to pro level board. You will grow out of an entry level fast!

KG's Supra24
04-09-2011, 09:15 AM
Hey rd ... got something you might be interested in.

Evo is having a 35% off 2009 gear for the next 3 days.

http://www.evo.com/outlet/wakeboards/hyperlite-b-side-wakeboard-blem-2009.aspx#image=29787.Size.LengthCM_141_Image.jpg

I have heard nothing but good about this board and my buddy has one and loves it. This is a blem (which my crew has bought several of and they are minor issues) but the non-blem is $10 more.

http://www.evo.com/outlet/wakeboard-bindings/hyperlite-audio-boots-2009.aspx

That is a very nice boot and you could def downgrade if you didn't want a nice closed toe.

http://www.evo.com/outlet/ropes/ronix-70ft-solin-wakeboard-mainline-2009.aspx

Rope.

There are obviously other options from both CWB and Ronix. I think there are a couple nice ronix setups but i just don't know much about them. I know the above have received good reviews and i have buddy with the same setup and really likes it.

The total of that order comes out to 387.24.

rdlangston13
04-09-2011, 09:46 AM
The total of that order comes out to 387.24.

im not really sure where you came up with 387.24 lol

I have:
Board = 189.9
Bindings = 349.95
Rope = 55.90
total = 595.75

ill probably just get that ronix package with the white board. i think it looks real clean

KG's Supra24
04-09-2011, 09:52 AM
You have to key "2009wake" into the coupon code. That gives you 35% off the prices you listed.

I didn't see the Ronix setup you mentioned.

rdlangston13
04-09-2011, 10:05 AM
http://www.buywake.com/catalog/detail/11vaultdivide

rdlangston13
04-09-2011, 10:09 AM
how do you know what bindings are compatible with what board?
and wouldn't that rope need a handle?

KG's Supra24
04-09-2011, 10:12 AM
Ha, yes, it would be tough to hold on without a handle.

I think most bindings nowadays are compatible with most boards. There are a few that need adapter plates i think. Easiest thing to do would probably be to just call their customer service line. I've noticed most of those online retailers seem to know what they are talking about.

bzubke1
04-09-2011, 02:22 PM
Get a coated line if possible. Its much easier on your hands and they don't tangle near as easily. I have both and hate the non coated one cause it tangles so easily.

bzubke1
04-09-2011, 02:24 PM
Check this out for boot and board compatibility.

http://www.evo.com/wakeboard-and-wakeboard-boot-binding-compatibility-chart-and-information.aspx

rdlangston13
04-09-2011, 02:37 PM
Thanks guy for all your help, I am however probably NOT going to buy a board until May due to having to buy a truck when I go home next week. I will definitely take all the info in though. I might just start off with a cheapy rope handle combo in the 60 dollar range. I think that should get me started h

you da man
04-09-2011, 08:44 PM

There's a seller on eBay ego sells $90 Proline ropes for $39.99.

rdlangston13
04-09-2011, 10:19 PM
There's a seller on eBay ego sells $90 Proline ropes for $39.99.

have you purchased from him before?

rdlangston13
04-09-2011, 10:51 PM
and is there major benefit to the non stretch over the limited stretch?

you da man
04-09-2011, 11:23 PM
have you purchased from him before?

Yep, just got my girl her own rope and handle. The seller is actually Boardstop.com a very good online retailer

rdlangston13
04-09-2011, 11:35 PM
Yep, just got my girl her own rope and handle. The seller is actually Boardstop.com a very good online retailer

can you send me a link? im not finding anything at that price that is non stretch

Moseley618
04-10-2011, 05:52 PM
Get a no strech line for sure right from the start. I wasted my first summer messing with a cheap rope that was "low strech" It was totally different to ride with the spectra line. Had to learn how to ride with the new line. Much easier with the spectra line. My advice spend the money for a good rope, closed toe bindings and good board that fits you perfectly. If you find a good deal that is close to what you need but not right you are just wasting money. I bought a cheap board and binding combo that was too small for me because it was a smokin deal, regret that. My ankle still hurts from coming out of the cheap bindings. Spend the money for good stuff now.

rdlangston13
04-10-2011, 06:42 PM
Get a no strech line for sure right from the start. I wasted my first summer messing with a cheap rope that was "low strech" It was totally different to ride with the spectra line. Had to learn how to ride with the new line. Much easier with the spectra line. My advice spend the money for a good rope, closed toe bindings and good board that fits you perfectly. If you find a good deal that is close to what you need but not right you are just wasting money. I bought a cheap board and binding combo that was too small for me because it was a smokin deal, regret that. My ankle still hurts from coming out of the cheap bindings. Spend the money for good stuff now.

ok, i will got for a no stretch rope then but as far as the board and bindings go i am def going open toe. close toe look funny and since i plan on sharing my board with guests i want the size to be somewhat versatile

sandm
04-10-2011, 07:30 PM
I did open toe my first board, but now have closed toe and it is sooo much nicer. fits much better. I'd do it the same again as there are lots that have ridden with the open toe and it's nice to have the spare board, but I'll never buy open again.

I think you have a good thought process on the guests, but when you are ready for a new board and are tired of loaning yours out, def. demo a closed toe set. you will be amazed.

rdlangston13
04-27-2011, 03:41 PM
Ok so over the weekend while my girl and I were in Dallas we went to the Warming Hut in Richardson and got the hook up.

I ended up with a 2010 Hyperlite 139 Forefront with the Hyperlite Remix boots.
My girl got a 2011 Liquid Force 133 Luna with the Prima boots.

I also grabbed a 80 foot Ronix zero stretch rope with like 5 removable sections, can go from 80 ft to 60 in 2 1/2 foot increments and it has the synthetic leather handle that feels oh so soft.

Can't wait to get home from work in a couple weeks so we can test out our new toys!

Oh and I bought some reef sandals with the bottle openers in the bottom

sicktc06
04-27-2011, 04:02 PM
Oh and I bought some reef sandals with the bottle openers in the bottom

My friend you have no idea how handy these joker's come. These are the only type flippie floppies I wear.

bhowell
04-27-2011, 05:45 PM
My friend you have no idea how handy these joker's come. These are the only type flippie floppies I wear.

Plus they are very comfortable...

mmandley
04-28-2011, 08:53 AM
RD nice choice on the boards, not sure i know of those reef flip flops but i wear Reefs in the boating season. So much easier to put on and take off for the boat and dock/ramp

I just got myself a new board. Hyperlight State board. It came with open bindings but i have closed ones i wear normally, so im looking forward to trying the opens to see how they feel.

kaneboats
04-28-2011, 12:51 PM
Crocs slides for me-- like walking on air. Drink cans on the boat anyway.