PDA

View Full Version : In-boat cooler insulation

KG's Supra24
12-14-2010, 12:45 PM
Who has added additional insulation to the in-boat cooler and how did you do it? How were the results?

Razzman
12-14-2010, 01:02 PM
Do a search for that and you'll find more than a few threads with dismal results.

KG's Supra24
12-14-2010, 01:23 PM
yea i did a search, i was hoping to accumulate thoughts in one place and try to compare strategies. There has to be a solid solution.

Razzman
12-14-2010, 01:33 PM
Well i tried them all; foam, HVAC insulation, insulating blanket. All were a waste of time. I even HVAC insuled the seat bottom, nope. Finally put a small igloo marine cooler in the starboard locker, problem solved, more capacity and ice for days. The seat cooler is now small item storage.

On a side note i discovered when winterizing the boat that the under seat cooler had cracked on the bottom. It's made from plastic and i could seal the crack easily but i might just cut the damn thing out all together. Useless it is.

SC could easily make better coolers and for the life of me i can't figure why they don't.

dusty2221
12-14-2010, 01:38 PM
Razz, where is your cooler? I think ours is in a different location than yours.

So none of the remedies yielded any noticeable results?

sandm
12-14-2010, 02:05 PM
mine is the rigid plastic unit under the seat directly behind the drivers seat. believe most have it there. I gave up on it as a cooler after the first try. no drain and no insulation make it useless as a cooler. it does however work real well to keep the boat snacks in just incase something leaks/melts or spills. keeps it out of the carpet. that's what mine has evolved into..

Razzman
12-14-2010, 02:10 PM
Here's where the cooler is, see it? :p

Saw no real noticeable results, still had to add ice everyday. The only way i could see to get noticeable results would be to use liquid expanding foam but i wasn't doing that as it would be almost impossible to remove.

dusty2221
12-14-2010, 02:10 PM
Sandm, your 20 has no drain? Mine had a drain that went into bilge. Our best method was corking the drain, laoding the cooler, and PACKING as MUCH ice as possible into it. When we just used 1 bag, it was always gone asap. Normally, 2 reg size bags and the cork would keep ice all day, not a ton, but enough to keep everything nice and cold.

dusty2221
12-14-2010, 02:11 PM

Saw no real noticeable results, still had to add ice everyday. The only way i could see to get noticeable results would be to use liquid expanding foam but i wasn't doing that as it would be almost impossible to remove.

Theres a cooler in that picture?

Razzman
12-14-2010, 02:11 PM
mine is the rigid plastic unit under the seat directly behind the drivers seat. believe most have it there. I gave up on it as a cooler after the first try. no drain and no insulation make it useless as a cooler. it does however work real well to keep the boat snacks in just incase something leaks/melts or spills. keeps it out of the carpet. that's what mine has evolved into..

Well at least mine has a drain, not that it matters.

KG's Supra24
12-14-2010, 02:51 PM
Yea, i have been using a drain plug to keep cold water in. Fill up at a "twice the ice" machine and im set. Just end up with alot of water by the end of the day.

Dusty, Razz has a better knack for posting pictures. :D

you da man
12-14-2010, 03:11 PM
My XLV has the in-floor cooler. With an expansion plug it willl hold ice all day. Remove the plug when going back to the dock and the water drains into the bilge. I think that this clean water helps keep my bilge looking clean. When I remove the boat drain plug all the water coming out is totally clear.

sandm
12-14-2010, 04:41 PM
mine did not come with the cooler from the factory. it was promised at purchase. the dealer was 600 miles away. they shipped it to me along with the bimini 9 months later, so I installed myself and there was no provision for the drain, but as soon as I saw it, I knew that it was going to be a joke.. I actually use a real cooler in the drivers rear locker as I rarely carry a bag back there. out of the way and convenient to get to :)

kaneboats
12-14-2010, 05:17 PM
Checked again and still don't see a cooler in that picture.

dusty2221
12-14-2010, 05:19 PM
Yeah, I zoomed in on it....I think you posted the wrong pic.

I'm not sure what they are selling in this pic, but I'll take it!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v235/dusty2221/Untitled2.jpg

moombadaze
12-14-2010, 09:20 PM
Who has added additional insulation to the in-boat cooler and how did you do it? How were the results?

I went with option "R" and removed the ice melter the boat came with and stuck a ballast bag under the seat. Now I just use a smaller cooler and it works great.

bzubke1
12-14-2010, 10:43 PM
I use the cooler to store my tsunami pump for extra sacs so the carpet doesn't get wet. I put a bottle of engine and v-drive oil in there too so if they leak or bust in drains to the bilge.

saskyrider
01-27-2011, 04:42 PM
that is an excellent idea Bzubke!! I was really unimpressed with mine and was planning on just putting a small cooler in the cubby whole where the batts, and stereo equip. I figured i could plumb a drain into it that runs back to the bilge without to much trouble. There are so many things i want to do to my boat! :p

mmandley
01-27-2011, 04:58 PM
I use the cooler to store my tsunami pump for extra sacs so the carpet doesn't get wet. I put a bottle of engine and v-drive oil in there too so if they leak or bust in drains to the bilge.

I understand your thinking but with Oil not sure your Bilge pump can pump that out and even if it does you dont want a patrol of any sort to see that.

You can be charged up to 1 mill in damages for environmental. I would at least keep the oils in a plastic bag of some sort.

Razzman
01-27-2011, 06:35 PM
I keep fluids in a heavy duty Ziploc freezer bag in my canvas tool bag.

bzubke1
01-27-2011, 07:06 PM
I understand your thinking but with Oil not sure your Bilge pump can pump that out and even if it does you dont want a patrol of any sort to see that.

You can be charged up to 1 mill in damages for environmental. I would at least keep the oils in a plastic bag of some sort.

They are in two wal-mart bags. So the oil should never actually get to the bilge.

mmandley
01-27-2011, 08:40 PM
They are in two wal-mart bags. So the oil should never actually get to the bilge.

Sweet then your golden bro

DOCDRS
01-28-2011, 12:34 AM

What cooler?

Razzman
01-28-2011, 12:39 AM
What cooler?

The built-in under seat cooler.

brain_rinse
01-28-2011, 11:37 AM
The only way i could see to get noticeable results would be to use liquid expanding foam but i wasn't doing that as it would be almost impossible to remove.
I really like that idea. You're right it would be tough to undo. But assuming you did it clean I can't think of why you'd want to remove it. It's just wasted space anyway right? I might be hesitant to try to foam the bottom side though. Maybe some rigid foam board insulation for the bottom and expand-o-foam for the sides?

DOCDRS
01-28-2011, 03:16 PM
Could you not spray foam insulate it out side of the boat, then cut away any foam that binds or prevents the cooler from seating all the way back in the compartment?

brain_rinse
01-28-2011, 03:30 PM
The cooler isn't removable, it's all glassed in with the top deck.

kaneboats
01-28-2011, 03:33 PM
I am sure I remember that someone tried this and it didn't work worth a crap.

kaneboats
01-28-2011, 03:40 PM
Found it. It was Razzman. Her's one of the threads that mentioned it:

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=10708&highlight=cooler

Razzman
01-28-2011, 04:05 PM
Yeah I tried just about everything to insulate that POS and nothing worked! Now it's a Koozie & small item repository :p

As i said before I tried HVAC insulation, Foam sheet in various thichnesses and densities to no avail. I even put insulation on the bottom of the seat! Unless you encapsulate the entire cooler with at least an inch of foam and find a way to seal the seat at the base it's useless to even try imo.

Here's my beef with it, SC knows it's a POS and very easily could have rectified that way back with an actual insulated cooler like some of their competition. I mean seriously, if it doesn't keep things cool then why even have it? Leave a space and supply a real softside cooler or something!

So on a sidenote; when cleaning up the boat for winter storage my wife was cleaning that useless space and called me over to show me a large crack across the cooler bottom! How do you like that, couldn't even use it as a cooler now even if i wanted to!

kaneboats
01-28-2011, 04:52 PM
Thanks! I just figured out how I'll know when it's time to cut it out.

Razzman
01-28-2011, 05:45 PM
Yeah huh! I may be cutting mine out in the spring. Use it for something purposefull! :p

jmvotto
01-29-2011, 12:23 AM
Razz, cut it out sooner and send it my way so we can use it to form ice blocks in the snow for igloos.:p

Razzman
01-29-2011, 10:20 AM
good one! Or maybe a form for an ice luge? :p

kaneboats
01-29-2011, 12:15 PM
Razz, cut it out sooner and send it my way so we can use it to form ice blocks in the snow for igloos.:p

That thing will just melt your snow.

JesseC
01-31-2011, 04:23 PM
I still use it as a beer can collector. Crush and toss the empty can in there and at the end of the day, just hose it out. It goes into the bilge with all the other pleasant smells and out the drain hole. Keeps the cooler less cluttered without all the empty beer cans.

STANG KILLA SS
02-13-2011, 09:52 AM
Finally put a small igloo marine cooler in the starboard locker, problem solved, more capacity and ice for days.

which model? dimensions?

Razzman
02-13-2011, 10:46 AM
which model? dimensions?

This is it here; Igloo 36 Quart Marine Cooler (http://www.igloocoolers.com/Coolers_3/Marine/36-Quart-Marine)

Exterior Dimensions (L x W x H) 24.25" x 13.56" x 13"

SC_LSV
03-07-2011, 06:30 PM
I keep my extra oil in the ice melter also. Igloo Cube 60 qt fits in the V-drive compartment in front of stock ballast bags, not sure about 750s though. Keeps it out of the way and out of the sun. Also the addition weight for surfing helps out too when you can "drinks" plus 40 lbs of ice.