PDA

View Full Version : Board of Choice?

Bit.rider
12-13-2010, 06:22 PM
Looking to get into more surfing this up coming season. Anyone care to share some board advice with a novice?

sandm
12-13-2010, 08:17 PM
this thread will take off and be full of opinions fast :)

here's my contribution:
beginner: hyperlite broadcast 5'6". I have taught sooo many on that board and I know others on here have it for the same reason.
once you have some skills: I went to an inland surfer 4-skim(really only bought it because it was pink :) ).. slippery board, but very nice
now I ride: phase 5 drew daniello pro. love it.
hoping to buy next spring: new board from triple XXX. have ridden several from a pro rider local and have my eye on a surf-style..

Bit.rider
12-13-2010, 08:28 PM
Ya. I'll be curious to see what people post up and why. I think I'm probably right in the middle of range you mentioned. those XXX look sweet.

you da man
12-13-2010, 08:50 PM
I'm not a fan of composite boards like Inland Surfer or Phase 5. I like the hand shaped style boards because of the more surf feel. I love my Shred Stixx Thresher, it's very fast and easy to catch back up if you're starting to lose the pocket. I do have a Triple 58" composite but I honestly haven't spent much time on it...but it is fun and very slippery on the water. I'd say grab a surf style and a skim style. I rode an Inland Surfer Squirt and it was a great board and priced right. You can mix up skim and surf with it but it's still a composite board. Also, what is your weight and/or the weight range of the people using your board? Do you think you'll want to slash, do surface spins, shoves...etc? This will determine if you should go surf or skim. However, with Triple X skim boards going for only $190 on eBay all day you can get both

KG's Supra24
12-13-2010, 10:43 PM
You have got to go ride some if at all possible.

Hyperlite broadcast and CWB ride are very similar and a great board to have on the boat for the reasons sandm mentioned. You can teach people ALL day long on these.

We rode the hyperlite swell most of the summer (over the Ride) simply due to it being more challenging and fun. It is skim style board but you have to "work it"

As You Da Man said, i also feel the "surf style" or non-composite boards are leaps and bounds ahead of the more "wakeboard" type boards. At the end of summer we borrowed some boards and took them out for a test run comparison and ranked them as so ....

1. Walker Project (signature i think) - board was the sh**. Bottom line.
2. Ronix Koal - had the surf feel, easy to ride, cut, etc. fun board
3. Shred Stixx Thresher - lacked push compared to the 2 above but was still real surf board feel.

Here is a pic for the walker project, you could literally ride this board anywhere, this pic was from really deep in the pocket and the board recovered from this within seconds. The walker was FAST.

If I were to get a new board for next season, I would have a hard time buying anything other than a Walker. They are pricey but you can occasionally find some good deals on them if you keep your eye out.

KG's Supra24
12-14-2010, 01:24 PM
I don't see anything ed g ... is that intentional?

dusty2221
12-14-2010, 01:25 PM
Ed what board is that?

KG's Supra24
12-14-2010, 01:39 PM
why cant i see what we are talking about?

KG's Supra24
12-14-2010, 01:51 PM
I'll check out the photo album.

Wonder how i go about getting a board donated to myself :p

Bit.rider
12-14-2010, 01:55 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys. Given me lots to think about.:eek:

bergermaister
12-14-2010, 04:57 PM
KG'sSupra24-

Is that a fat sac I see in your pic laying angled on the back cover and strapped down?

dusty2221
12-14-2010, 05:02 PM
I'm not KG, but yeah, that is a 400 pound sack, or 10x16x70

KG's Supra24
12-14-2010, 05:09 PM
I'm not KG, but yeah, that is a 400 pound sack, or 10x16x70

No, its dusty, we strap him down back there to keep him calm ... :p

He is right, 400lb sac. And use the word strapped lightly, we just throw a rope around it just in case. Haven't had any issues with it trying to go overboard though.

dusty2221
12-15-2010, 11:56 AM
No, its dusty, we strap him down back there to keep him calm ... :p

He is right, 400lb sac. And use the word strapped lightly, we just throw a rope around it just in case. Haven't had any issues with it trying to go overboard though.

That's where I like to be!

One docking line, well, we use two since they are short, around the center tow pylon and around the bag holds it pretty stable. Its a great way to get some extra weight.

sandm
12-15-2010, 12:06 PM
so, I do somewhat of the same thing. I take a launchpad covered 440 and place it on the seat, using the strap around it to wrap around the tower leg to hold it in place.

you guys notice how much the seat/backrest is smashed down after you drain it? mine is pretty flat after I drain it. wondering how much life that is eating up doing it?

KG's Supra24
12-15-2010, 12:10 PM
Ive never noticed sandm, not sure i have that much pressure there honestly. It may be because we dont fill it full?

dusty2221
12-15-2010, 12:21 PM
I noticed a little on mine, but not too bad. We filled the 400 all the way up on the 20. Being goofy, that 400 sure made it hell to get to the cooler...

you da man
12-15-2010, 12:31 PM
I'd like to try that but the lake popo and game warden would definately stop me

dusty2221
12-15-2010, 12:33 PM
Are they that strict down there?

you da man
12-15-2010, 04:08 PM
Are they that strict down there?

They haven't said anything to me about my boat being listed over to the rubrail but I think the sac on the deck would being asking for an inspection. I'm already a 1,200lbs over

dusty2221
12-15-2010, 04:29 PM
You could just not lump it up on the platform and just lay it in the seat. Although, the further back the better, any additional will help.