PDA

View Full Version : FT Boat Owner Needing Advice Freezing Temps

moombroo
12-13-2010, 09:54 AM
Hey guys, first winter owning my Outback L/S and temps here in Mississippi are already in the 20s at night, which is abnormal. My boat is being stored in my backyard with the cover on it. I've done some winterizing such as blowing the water out and adding some anti-freeze into the system, but unfortunately had to leave for work before getting a full on winterization done.

My question is, what is the best way to provide heat safely under the boat cover and engine compartment? I thought about opening the engine bay and setting a halogen work light under the cover, but they get really hot. Any suggestions? Need to do something today if last nights freeze hasn't already caused problems.

Thanks ahead of time for any info

jmvotto
12-13-2010, 10:05 AM
60 watt utility light in the engine compartment

FamilyMatters
12-13-2010, 10:05 AM
A regular work light with 60 Watt Bulb under the engine in the compartment will keep it from freezing in an emergency or till you can winterize (I never sleep well while I'm doing this though). If you'll remove the plugs (One each side) right under the manifolds (Takes five minutes) and remove the Two Hoses from the Water Pump assembly on the front of the engine and let them down to drain in the hull (Another 5 Minutes) your done and it's winterized! (If it's just a Plain Outback Direct Drive)

Peace
Darren

moombroo
12-14-2010, 07:32 PM
Thanks for the info. I ended up wrapping the motor good with a couple old blankets to insulate it for the night. I found a company called Action Marine in Ridgeland, MS that does mobile winterizing. They are coming out tomorrow to do full winterization (i.e. flush motor with water and anti-freeze, drain block, add sta-bil, fog cylinders, etc.) for $189.95 which seems pretty cheap considering some of the $300 to $600 quotes I'm seen some of you guys from up North talking about.

mmandley
12-14-2010, 08:12 PM
Take it or leave it but i dont and would never Fog my cylinders, i know theres lots of talk and i think even the owners manual says they do it but some sections are old and the local Moomba dealer said specificaly they dont FOG fuel injected engines anylonger due to it can cause injector issues, i know some people do it and have no issues like Al Cab but i just cant bring myself to do it when the dealer says they wont.

DOCDRS
12-14-2010, 08:31 PM
Take it or leave it but i dont and would never Fog my cylinders, i know theres lots of talk and i think even the owners manual says they do it but some sections are old and the local Moomba dealer said specificaly they dont FOG fuel injected engines anylonger due to it can cause injector issues, i know some people do it and have no issues like Al Cab but i just cant bring myself to do it when the dealer says they wont.

This is the first I have seen anything about the injectors.........but if you are fogging thru the sparkplug then there is no problem as the injectors are in the intake mani........I really see no reason to fog thru the throttle body on a mpfi or spfi engine maybe thats the injector issue? fogging is to coat the upper rings and combustion chamber from oxidation similar to what happens on brake rotors if left for a prolong time.....and cats are another issue that you have to be careful of...... I always like a good debate :)

Jon
12-14-2010, 09:04 PM
Please don't trust the light in the compartment myth. I had a customer bring in a boat today to be winterized that had been covered with a light in the bilge. Needless to say, he will be getting a new engine this spring. Temps got to the low 20's a few nights in a row. It literally takes 5 minutes to drain the necessities. Just go ahead and pull the plugs and hoses. It will probably take you longer to find a light and extension cord and get it all plugged in.

mmandley
12-14-2010, 09:19 PM
This is the first I have seen anything about the injectors.........but if you are fogging thru the sparkplug then there is no problem as the injectors are in the intake mani........I really see no reason to fog thru the throttle body on a mpfi or spfi engine maybe thats the injector issue? fogging is to coat the upper rings and combustion chamber from oxidation similar to what happens on brake rotors if left for a prolong time.....and cats are another issue that you have to be careful of...... I always like a good debate :)

Yea your correct on the injectors but you will have an intake valve open and when fogging its exactly that, coating the cylinder and rings with a protective coating. Now then you start the engine its going to start vaporizing and that will get into the intakes and get on the injectors. IDK for sure but i suspect the issue with the injectors is they get plugged up.