PDA

View Full Version : Orlando ski school recs? Water temps?

skiyaker
12-12-2010, 05:08 PM
Hey guys here's the deal- I'll be in Orlando late Feb/early March- I'll be there just for a few days and I'm wanting a place where I can get just a few instructional slalom sets. I'll have a rental car so I can drive a little, but something that I could do in half a day would be nice. Any recs? What are the water temps generally like that time of year? Thanks for your thoughts!

deerfield
12-13-2010, 05:42 PM
Word of caution if you go there...you will have to put up with gorgeous French women in bathing suits. SWiss Ski School is also close to The Wakeboard Camp......

Uh, Ed - Funny thing you did not mention this little fact to me when I was in town. Only thing you talked about when I came through Clermont was The Wakeboard Camp. - Deerfield

skiyaker
12-13-2010, 07:40 PM
Ed- everything you've told me about this place sounds perfect and well worth the short drive from orlando- an it looks like the "pay by the set" format will work great for me. I'll just call down there before I go to see what gear I need but if the water temp stays in the 60s I should be good to go in trunks. If I ski poorly I can just blame it one the "distractions" ;)

Mikey
12-13-2010, 10:03 PM
Ski Fluid is the ski school i used when i was down there. It's run by the Rocketman Scott Ellis and Kyle Eade and i brought in my own private coach Current World record holder Chris Parrish to teach me . Ask around its not to hard to arrange,Luck Lowes and a couple other scholls are nearby as well.
Not that i am brand specific but they use the new 200 Nautique which in my opinion for skiing is second to none.

skiyaker
12-14-2010, 08:32 PM
Ed- it would be the highest of honors if I could work in a surf ride behind Martha. And tonight at dinner my wife said the most magical of words- "Maybe you can go ski for a day while I take the kids to Disney"

Mikey
12-14-2010, 10:19 PM
Just so you know Lucky's mom works at the Waterski museum which is located right beside Ski Fluid , Very nice lady ,friendly and knowledgeable not just about waterskiing,was very helpful ,when my wife and i and kids met her.Gave us lots of little tidbits on local atractions etc mixed in with a few life stories etc.

skiyaker
12-15-2010, 10:30 AM
what I don't understand is what do people need Disney for if you can ski/surf/board year round lol? I can just hear my kids now "no daddy I don't want to go to Disney I want to go on the boat!" "Sorry bud your mom wants you to go to Disney so she can take pictures of you with strange guys dressed up as cartoon characters"

skiyaker
12-16-2010, 10:28 PM
That's awesome Ed. It looks like I'll be in the right neighborhood. I'll PM you when the time gets close and see if I can turn this dream of getting both ski lessons at Swiss and surf lessons behind Martha into reality!

skiyaker
02-12-2011, 08:51 PM
well after about convincing myself not to do this after I realized the added expense (travel bag for ski, air tran charges for transporting fee, rental car) I found a ski bag on sale at overtons and contacted the Swiss Ski School. Looks like I'll be skiing there Sat Feb 26. I'm just hoping to get something out of it having not skied since October. This might be the most expensive ski ride I've taken, but I'll probably die with more than a few hundred bucks in the bank so I might as well spend it now.

Ed I'll hope to get a water temp update from you just before I leave so I can plan what gear to bring!

maxpower220
02-13-2011, 12:18 AM
My first (and only, so far) ski school was my first sets of the year, on their equipment, that didn't fit. Anywho, I learned a lot in a short time. It may be that you learn some pointers that you can work on this season to get better.

jmb
02-13-2011, 09:31 PM
I'm in Alabama and it's supposed to warm up this week. Talking about 70 so it shoud be warmer down there.

skiyaker
02-14-2011, 08:00 PM
I can do trunks down to water temp 60; wet suit to 50; dry suit below that

Ed thanks for the offer on the ski- I think I'll bring my own though so they can give me any tips for tuning it.

Max- that's exactly what I'm hoping for- some "homework" to work on between now and when I hopefully make it to the liquid edge in May

skiyaker
02-23-2011, 10:58 AM
well I made my reservations at Swiss for Saturday morning- man I'm nervous and excited. Any tips from you guys who have done this before regarding getting the most out of it? Last time I did a ski clinic the guy gave me so many things to work on I just ended up confused. I'm thinking about bringing a voice recorder or notebook to help me remember everything.

Ed it looks like the temps are in the 80s down there this week- water warming up at all? I'm thinking of brining my long wetsuit- sound about right for a northerner?

skiyaker
03-03-2011, 07:39 PM
well Ed thanks for the ski school rec. I made it to swiss on saturday- wonderful escape from the goat rodeo called Disney (though the kids had a great time there). My plane ended up being delayed so I got to the diz at about 3 am and then skied at 9:30 later that morning; needless to say my skiing was not great but it was a good experience. got my "homework assignment" that will hopefully help me on the course. I met a guy in his 50s from Norway that started skiing the course at my age and this guy could rip it- so that gives me hope. Then I saw a 13 year old kick my rear. It would have been nice to ski more than one set and visit Ed's Surf School but I got swallowed by the Disney monster (did I mention that place is a zoo?). Hopefully I can make it back next winter for longer.

deerfield
03-03-2011, 11:02 PM
Skiyaker, any pics? Of the instructors?