PDA

View Full Version : Re-carpeting

Yellowmobius
11-02-2004, 09:32 AM
I am going to recarpet my 2001 Mobius D-drive this winter, bad spill left my carpet a mess.
For those with a d-drive, does anyone know what the need for the access panel in front on the engine cover is for? I am thinking about making the carpet one piece at least in the front of the engine cover. I will keep the rear access cover seperate so I can access the drive shaft for adjustments. I also plan on removing the black inspection cover and making that part of the carpeted floor.

Hopefully this makes sense.

DOCDRS
11-02-2004, 08:29 PM
on mine thats where the bilge pump is if you need to replace or service it, difficult to from the engine compartment

Yellowmobius
11-03-2004, 09:29 AM
I can see the bilige pump and I understand what you are saying. I "think" it could be replaced from the engine compartment. I guess I just don't like the look of the access cover and since I am recarpeting I would like to get rid of it.

Thanks for your input

lowdrag
11-05-2004, 08:55 AM
Replacing it is one thing, but clearing it of debris or trying to do some manual work on it in an emergency would be another problem. From experience I can tell you replacing it from the engine compartment would be a serious chore too. By the time you figure splicing the wires which probably don't have a lot of excess length to them and attaching the drain hose to the pump you'll be pulling your hair out if you have to do it.

Yellowmobius
11-05-2004, 09:05 AM
Thanks guys,

I have not made any final decisions yet. I just ordered the carpet and I will start working on it soon. This one is going to keep me up at nights. I really don't like the "look" of the access panel.

lowdrag
11-06-2004, 05:52 AM
How about putting attaching some tabs on the bottom side of the deck. Cut a piece to fit in the hole and rest on the tabs, then carpet that piece. It would look nicer and you'd still have access.

Yellowmobius
11-06-2004, 08:10 AM
Dandy Idea, I will keep that in mind.
Thanks

Gotta love this board!

james yarosz
11-06-2004, 09:38 AM
The bildge pump doesn't work that well in that location anyways.I added one behind the engine and it gets more water out.