PDA

View Full Version : Where have you been.

Summit_SS
11-02-2004, 01:11 AM
Most of the post I have read recently have been good in addressing problems or questions that people have and that is all GREAT...but i have not seen anyone post anything about where they have gone over the summer or anything like that so I thought that i would start this post just to see what everyone has been up to.

So tell us where you have been, or things that happened over this past summer, or what ever you want to. If you have so great story..or sad story post it up.

just thought this would be a good idea to get some people talking.

Well seeing how i am going to start this i might as well start with something that happened to me.

I was at LAKE POWELL this summer (i sure hope everyone knows where that is) and my girlfriends dad, his cousin, and i were enjoying a wonderful day on the lake Sky Skiing untill they decided to drag me over the top of a rock that was only about 2 feet under.....well to keep a long story short I didn't see the rock and sank a little to far down. I cought the foil on the rock and did a nose dive head first. No personal injuries thank god but the foil had a nice chip in it. My girlfriends dad said that it was just about one of the funniest things he had ever seen (once they found out that i was ok). He says that we were cruzing along at about 29mph or so and then i just disaperaed. Sorry dont have any video...wish I did. But never the less I was back out right after that staying far far far away from the rocks.

so that is one of my many stories. Post yours

SUMMIT

Yellowmobius
11-02-2004, 09:25 AM
Starter the year boarding in Florida O'townwatersports with Glen. In one day, 3 sets he had me landing a few raileys! That was my first day riding in about 5 months.

Low water back home (ND) and generally a bad weather summer really limited us this year. I was only able to run up 100 hours on the Mobius. Highlight of the year was spending a month in Sacramento and boarding on the Delta a few times along with making it to Boardstock in stockton, Ca. Thanks again Dave for a great time on the Delta, hope to make it out next year again. I have some Boardstock pictures at http://www.wakezone.biz/boardstock.htm if anyone is interested.

We also spend a week on a lake in MN every year, that is always a GREAT time.

Lastly I finally broke down and bought a new board, Liquid Force Team 134, I was able to make it out one last time Oct 8 to try out the new board and I am pleased with the purchase. The old board, it was a Fulltilt, Conspiracy, 136 I think I bought it in 1999 so I was due fora new board.

That enough?

Summit_SS
11-02-2004, 11:47 AM
Sounds like a great summer....that is what i was looking for.

Anyone else have anything?

jburnside
11-02-2004, 02:30 PM
At the end of June we towed the boat from Michigan (outside of Detroit) to Minnesota (outside of Deerfield) for a week long family vacation. Everyone was excited and ready to get going. We packed everything 3 full families could possibly need for a week (even though only 1 family was going) in the back of the Ford, and the big "storage unit" behind it. I however like to refer to it as my '03 Outback LS! Well that's when the "fun" started...the first problem was that I had my wife, 2 kids, my mother, and my 75lb choclate lab shoe-horned into my F-150 Supercrew. 14 hours of bliss! Second problem came when we dropped my 10 year old son off at hockey camp and high-tailed it to the lake, he was not happy knowing he was getting ready to bust his but for a week and we would be out on the boat every day... TOO BAD. The trip was scheduled around his camp and he did have fun and was actually able to wakeboard at the school behind an older Malibu, school has it's own private lake. Heartland Hockey Camp is awesome if someone wants to try this. The third problem was that we tore up the prop on the second day and I forgot my spare. Got super lucky and found an exact replacement prop and were back on the water after only missing the morning and early afternoon on day 3. Then everything started to settle down and we had 3 great days in a row visiting my son at camp and skiing and boarding on a nearly empty 1200 acre lake. All seems well until we had to leave the wonderful little lake front cottage. We went and picked up my son which took about 2 hours longer than we planned for and then when we finally got back onto the intersate it rained non-stop for 12 hours! I need to find a cover I can leave on while towing that won't ruin my gel coat! All in all it was a great adventure. Flat water, beautiful scenery, and the boat was perfect. But one I'll probably never try again, that was just to far to drag the boat when northern Michigan is just as beautiful.

One other note, by the end of summer my wife and daughter started wakeboarding and they love it. Looks like a V-Drive is in my future!

LiquidForce
11-02-2004, 04:18 PM
I hhave been at my private bay all summer. Now its gitting cold and it will freeze over with 16 inches of ice and we can snowmobiel and ice fish off of it.

Its a small bay, sand/mucky bottom and about 7 feet deep.

Really warm and always glass in the summers great for boarding and skiing.

P.S. I live in Canada,

druby
11-03-2004, 01:56 AM
this was our first year with our new outback, could'nt wait to get into the water and when I did thought I was going to die trying to get pass the break in period so we could ski. WE live in sacramento cal. about 15 min from th water so most of our time was spent there. Thanks to this board I was able to meet yellowmobius and got to spend a couple awsome days boarding together great fun with you bruce you inspire me to push myself to get better thanks. But I would have to say the highlight of this summer was the 6am runs on the mirror finish water at bullards bar resivior what a way to start the day hope everyone had atleast one day line that this summer . Can't wait for next year!!!

plumcrazy
11-03-2004, 07:23 PM
We're fortunate enough to have a cottage on Square Pond in Shapleigh, Maine.
I'm the designated driver it seems. My 16 year old is getting pretty good on the board, and every winter we're adding something to the Outback that could potentially hurt someone. The pond is around 950 - 1000 acres, with a high percentage of inboards, the most of ant surrounding lake. Mostly those of the M word persuasion, with a few Centurions and Nautiques sprinkled in. 3 or 4 Moombas, though, mine being the only Plum (purple for the layfolk among us) Outback with a way too loud stereo in it.
The best time is had at 7:00 am when the surface is like glass and we're the only boat out for a run. The skiers take longer to shake off the Martinis and don't get out till 8:00!
Crap, I hate this time of year. I won't see the water until May. Where's the best place in Arizona to live? Hook me up.
By the way, the boat end up in Maine via Ray at Performance Boats in Boonsboro,MD.
Great guy- we'll be seeing him again on our next boat.

Summit_SS
11-03-2004, 09:28 PM
Well this post is going great. A big THANKS to everyone who has posted it is really great to hear that everyone who has posted so far has had a great summer. But I did say that i would post more so here is another one.

I live on the westernslope of colorado, so as you can guess I have about a 3 1/2 to 4 month time period to ride. Well just before it was time to put the boat up for the winter my girlfriend, some friends and I went to lake near her house in steamboat. Well I believe it was about 6 a.m. and there was no one else on the lake but us and the Park rangers. After my girlfriend got done with her first run, we were pulling her in when the wind started to pick up. Thinking that our day was just about over we started to head in when we got stoped by the ranger. He said that on the back side of the wakeless zone there was a spot that was always smooth no matter how hard the wind was blowing. And seeing how we were the only boat on the lake he had no problem letting us run in the no wake zone. Well after talking about another 5 min or so with the ranger we took him up on his offer and went back to this spot........IT WAS PERFECT.........no waves or nothing. We stayed back there till about 830 that night just running back and forth, eating burgers and just having an all around great time.

Oh i forgot....Have you all ever seen someone who has never back a trailer up try and back up one at night. My buddy said that he was really great at backing one up....well to say the least it put a BIG smile on my face to see my girlfriend blow him out of the water. Just something to add to the excitement of that day.

Keep up the good posts. Thanks

SUMMIT

Where's the best place in Arizona to live?

I have only been to one and that was Lake Havasu, it was fun but lots of tourists. Not real far from Lake Mead though.

11-09-2004, 02:47 PM
I have been an avid visitor for a couple of months, but this is my first time posting. I really enjoyed reading about everyone's summer adventures...gives me something to day dream about as I look outside at a typical gray November day in Michigan.

We took delivery of an '04 Outback in August and have had a great time so far. We were able to log a few of hours prior to having to winterize it...a couple of weekends "up north" and a few afternoons locally.

Looking forward to next season...

Flaze

Flaze
11-09-2004, 03:17 PM
I have been an avid visitor for a couple of months, but this is my first time posting. I really enjoyed reading about everyone's summer adventures...gives me something to day dream about as I look outside at a typical gray November day in Michigan.

We took delivery of an '04 Outback in August and have had a great time so far. We were able to log a few of hours prior to having to winterize it...a couple of weekends "up north" and a few afternoons locally.

Looking forward to next season...

Flaze

BensonWdby
11-09-2004, 10:11 PM
Well I spent most of the summer looking for someone to ski with. My wife has lost interest, my son was generally unavailable due to summer class and work, and my daughter is injured. I managed to hook up with a couple guys form from work for a few mornings before work. We skied with relatives on a busy lake in Wisconsin. Not bad if you are the first ones out or the last ones off, but otherwise weekends are a zoo.

The good nes is that we found a lake place for ourselves about an hour from home.
Here ia shot of a large portion of the lake taken a few weeks ago:

http://bensonwdby.home.comcast.net/LakeHome/LakeColors1.JPG

I have only skiied on the lake once in late Sept and found there are a couple boats who still think skiing in circles is a good idea, but I think I can straighten them out next summer. Only 140 acres, long and narrow, well protected.

This winter will be updating the lake home and then come May ...... Thinking about buying a used sixam, we'll see..
Dave

Summit_SS
11-10-2004, 03:37 AM
Well first things first. A HUGE CONGRATS TO Flaze on his first posts. Welcome to the club. One question for you though where in Michigan, I have a bunch of family back that way.

Next I have to say one thing to Inliner....Man your CRAZY......Just kidding. Sounds like you have had a very sweet summer. There is nothing like going out with family and friends and just having one heck of a good time. Plus it makes the summer even better when you get better at the things you do. So sorry to hear about you getting hurt though, that puts a damper on things. But then again you were still out there and that is what matters. There is nothing like the felling of getting hurt then going back out there and giving it your all. Go BIG or Go HOME right.

Benson....WOW that lake would be sweet, buy the end of my summer I was really starting to get upset with all the fisherman, and just the overall numerous amounts of people on the lake...it sure must be nice to be able to find something like that. Oh and the pic of the lake...I give it a 10.

As for me...I put the boat up in storage this weekend. Even though it has been winterized for about a month it was still nice to see it in the garage when I got home. But not no more. Hopefully I will be able to work on it this winter, hope to add some stereo stuff and maybe more lights. But who knows you all know how that can go.

Just want to say THANKS again for everyone who has been posting. Sure makes this nasty thought of winter go by a lot faster.

So all you souther state people who can boat year round don't forget about us up here freezing our butts off. Post a pic every now and then or just tells us how everything is going.

Oh, one last thing, if you have not posted anything yet, try and make time to. Just drop us a line tell how your summer went, could be one word or as long as you want it to be.

SUMMIT

noneya
11-10-2004, 03:34 PM
I started off the season at a private lake in Washington called bow lake, really cool place. Got to take a lot of sets on butter behind a new Supra...nice wake!

http://www.waterskiranch.com/

The only other trips we had were pretty much local, there is a river that is about 2 hours away we have a friend with a cabin. The river is unbelievable, really can appreciate the wakeskate with the water so smooth.

Flaze
11-11-2004, 06:05 PM
Thank you Summit...it feels good to be on the inside!!! We are just south of Detroit Metropolitan Airport...if there is anyone else in the area please drop a line.

I think that I ran into Jeff (jurnside) and his family in late August filling up before putting in at a local lake??? We were just coming off...tuxedo Outback in tow. Just talked briefly, but he had mentioned a trip out to Minnisota...was that you Jeff?

Flaze

jburnside
11-12-2004, 05:30 PM
Flaze,
Ya that was us. We try to get out locally at least once a week in the summer. Congrats again on that new Outback, beautiful boat. I've seen enough Moomba's now in southeast Michigan that we should try to set up some sort of Moomba owners get-together next year. Maybe we could convince Club Royale to let us use their Marina??? Rob or Brian you listening. What do ya think?

Flaze
11-18-2004, 12:51 PM
I like your idea Jeff...it would be good opportunity to meet some of the local Moomba community as well as great PR for Club Royale.

Are you familiar with any of the lakes near Brighton/Pickney? What about the Hillsdale area? I have spent most of my time in Northern Michigan and would like to find a nice lake an hour or so away.

Flaze

jburnside
11-18-2004, 02:16 PM
Flaze,
We have spent a lot of time on the chain of lakes near Pickney (Portage, baseline, Zukey, Strawberry...). Probelem there is that it's tough to get a parking spot on the weekends. Leave early! We aso spend a fair amount of time down in the Irish Hills area (Wamplers, Vineyard, Clark...) all very nice. We have also been out on Orchard lake and Cass lake a bunch. Orchard Lake is probably my favorite lake around town. Another great little lake is out near Jackson, Big Portage lake in the Waterloo recreation area. Nice beach area so you can get out of the boat to BBQ and party. We have not spent any time in Hillsdale with the boat, just with our dirt bikes. Sorry.

I'll work on Rob and Brian and if they don't want to host it we'll just pick a date and a place and see what happens. If there are any other Michigan Moomba owners that are interested send me a PM or we can start a new thread, I don't want to hi-jack this one anymore! Sorry Summit_SS.