PDA

View Full Version : What's on your DIY annual service list?

csm
12-07-2010, 02:48 PM
I'm getting sick of paying for the labor rates for my annual service. I think I've decided to give it a try myself this year. I've been reading about all of the procedures on the site, and everything seems pretty straight forward.

Below is the list of things I would plan on doing for sure every year. Am I leaving anything out that should definitely be done annually? Or other things I should be checking? I've seen the list in the manual, but wanted to get some real life experience opinions here.

I have a 2005 LSV with around 155 hours on it. I live in a pretty warm climate, so winterization isn't necessary. I also run the boat at least every 3 to 4 weeks year round.

1. Oil Change
2. Change Oil Filter
3. V-drive & Transmission fluid change
4. Fuel Filter change
5. Impeller (Mine is 2 years old)

you da man
12-07-2010, 08:05 PM
I'll be doing my semi-annual axle replacement due failed torsion components. Second axle in 15 months of a new boat/trailer

DOCDRS
12-07-2010, 09:01 PM
air filter / flame arrestor cleaning or changing
spark plugs
check you alignment
check and tighten all bolts, screws, nuts
lubricate moving linkages

trailer inspection/lubrication

zabooda
12-08-2010, 01:21 PM
da man, I couldn't help but laugh. Really sad though.

I'm going to try really hard to change the tranny fluid this year. I meant to do it last year and I had the oil and all but I need to devise a sucker-upper.

you da man
12-08-2010, 02:42 PM
da man, I couldn't help but laugh. Really sad though.

I'm going to try really hard to change the tranny fluid this year. I meant to do it last year and I had the oil and all but I need to devise a sucker-upper.

Gotta laugh to keep from crying

csm
12-08-2010, 05:07 PM
I'll be doing my semi-annual axle replacement due failed torsion components. Second axle in 15 months of a new boat/trailer

That does suck... hopefully that's a service issue that I'll never have to familiarize myself with.

deepcove
12-08-2010, 10:42 PM
you da man

I have a 04 LS....best decision I ever made was to get rid of my boatmate trailer in 08.....that sucker cost me more in annual maintanance than my boat!

rdlangston13
12-09-2010, 02:22 PM
does anyone know of a thread on here explaining how to change the vdrive and tranny fluid??

jester
12-09-2010, 06:37 PM
I say clean your flame arrestor every year. I have heard of poeple putting it in a dishwasher but make sure you check with your better half before putting anything that is not dishes in the dishwasher to avoild a fight.

rdlangston13
12-15-2010, 01:06 PM
Just got a call from my dealer. Winterize, V-drive flush, Transmission flush, fresh water flush kit install, and some scratch repairs are going to run me $819 bucks. I am doing all this myself next year without a doubt. Learned my lesson.

csm
12-22-2010, 11:20 AM
Probably a stupid question, but can anyone help direct me to the quick drain hose for the engine oil? I'd rather find it now while the engine is cold, so I can attach it to something and not have to dig around underneath a hot engine.

Is it towards one side of the engine or the other? Or do I just need to dig around under the engine until I find it?

Swapped out the tranny fluid last night, and am in the process of removing the v-drive fluid. I've read that you should re-fill the v-drive fluid using a fill resevoir instead of the dipstick hole. Where is this located or what does it look like? I looked at the Indmar manual, and it didn't show this anywhere.

DOCDRS
12-22-2010, 12:00 PM
Just look for the hose coming up from the bottom of the oil pan, usually the end is clipped on to part of the engine and a threaded brass fitting. The vdrive fill reservoir is at the front of the vdrive in the middle. There is a round cap on the top of it but you need a wrench to remove it, I always thought it was a pressure relief valve.

part number 12
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4084/5016983500_0296b48821_z.jpg

csm
12-22-2010, 12:02 PM
Just look for the hose coming up from the bottom of the oil pan, usually the end is clipped on to part of the engine and a threaded brass fitting. The vdrive fill reservoir is at the front of the vdrive in the middle. There is a round cap on the top of it but you need a wrench to remove it, I always thought it was a pressure relief valve.

Thanks Doc - Yeah, I saw the round cap, but couldn't tell what it was, and wasn't able to remove it by hand so figured that wasn't it. I'll wrench it off.

OBV6
12-22-2010, 12:11 PM
CSM, the drain hose should be attached on the left side of the block to the lifting loop with what appears to be a stainless paperclip on my 325 MPI/06 OBV. As far as the v-drive goes you can only fill through the dip stick hole as far as I have found. I pulled the bottom v-drive oil pan/sump to fix a weeping gasket on it and have not seen anything resembling a resevoir, but I am not the definitive v-drive source. While you are messing with it, check the 4x 9/16" nuts holding the sump on. Mine were loose and were weeping oil in to the bilge. Nothing major, just a messy PITA to deal with. It takes almost 1qt (30W) exactly from completely empty to fill on mine.