PDA

View Full Version : Boat Show Specials are coming! EPA notes as well

RickT
12-06-2010, 06:11 PM
Should be arriving with dealers this week. One of the more exciting items, will be that a dealer has up to 6 weeks BEFORE their show to write deals with the incentives. Once their show is done the incentives go away.

Keep in mind...that in 2011 the EPA is MANDATING that all engines built have to have a CAT(low emmision Catalyzed) engine in them. That will raise prices....alot, on Spring ordered boats, if you wanted a base 325 engine, you need to be calling your dealer soon. The 325 base engine WILL SOON BE GONE. The above incentive of early boat show deals is designed to help dealers presell boats before the new CAT engines is required. Indmar built ahead some engines, but in general the NON Cat engine(less cost, roughly $2,200) will be gone by Feb, depending on demand.

Just so you know. See you at the shows.

Rick

moombadaze
12-06-2010, 06:17 PM
Thanks for the info, now I just gotta work on the wife :rolleyes:

zabooda
12-06-2010, 07:05 PM
That should be a big incentive at the shows. Manufactorers need to get the word out to buy now rather than later.

sandm
12-07-2010, 08:37 AM
maybe as a noise reducer? never heard it, but would have to believe there are some sound level benefits to it.

moombadaze
12-07-2010, 11:01 AM
FAE is very quite, I was behind Maxpowers outback with it on and you dont even hear it running.

mmandley
12-07-2010, 01:34 PM
all engines will have a CAT, huh?

That's great for us, bad for Larry Mann

Wonder how he will market his FAE now

You will still market it the same way, the exhaust that is giving you a head ach is still so low the Cats will not stop that. If you got a headach behind the boat before a cat, you will still get it after the cat.

The cat is there to clean the hydro carbons and raw fuel out of your exhaust, is the carbon monoxide that is giving you the headach.

Normal air quality is 21% oxygen and when carbon monoixide is added from an engine that percentage can drop to 19% very quickly and at that rate you get headachs, feel more tired and dont think as clearly as normal.

We have been thinking of getting a FAE because we tend to get the ehadachs but i dont want to lose the sound of my engine..

moombadaze
12-07-2010, 01:40 PM
"the exhaust that is giving you a head ach"

Not me - don't even believe it is an issue...

I believe that for some it is a problem-Ive started to get head ach's but was'nt sure if was that or a lack of fluids with being in the sun or a combination of both.

sandm
12-07-2010, 03:24 PM
never had anyone complain of a headache at any time. that would put a major damper on the day..
have the 340extcat, so maybe that's why :)

even in a "value" line like the moomba/axis, I would not think that a $2200 price increase would be a dealbreaker especially with the selling feature of 15hp additional and the environmental benefits of the cat.

this from the guy that, as one of the first mods to turbo'ed cars, pull the cats off :)

maxpower220
12-07-2010, 06:21 PM
I can't believe that it will cost $2200 more to make it standard. If that is the only way you can make an engine (with a CAT), the numbers produced go up and usually the price comes down.

wolfeman131
12-07-2010, 07:31 PM
you get headachs, feel more tired and dont think as clearly as normal.

tequila does the same :p

sandm
12-07-2010, 08:00 PM
I can't believe that it will cost $2200 more to make it standard. If that is the only way you can make an engine (with a CAT), the numbers produced go up and usually the price comes down.

very good point. skiers has been charging a premium(as have every boat maker) for the extcat340, but as volume does go up, it should get slightly cheaper. those cats do cost more than standard exhaust manifolds, but how much of that $2200 was skiers/dealers charging for an option..

guess time will tell..

jmvotto
12-08-2010, 11:20 PM
tequila does the same :p

usually the next morning;)

sandm
12-09-2010, 10:28 AM
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-greet024.gif
Hey Ed......

rdlangston13
12-09-2010, 02:18 PM

The issues with catalytic converters is that it is not an electronic device. Electronics usually cost a lot for R&D which is why they are expensive in small numbers but as volumes increase the price drops. Catalytic converters contain precious metals which are just expensive, and the more of these metals that are used the more the supply goes down and demand goes up. So if anything this $2,200 could increase in time.

thesack
12-09-2010, 02:43 PM
We have been thinking of getting a FAE because we tend to get the ehadachs but i dont want to lose the sound of my engine..

There must be something wrong with your stereo if you can hear your engine. :D

maxpower220
12-09-2010, 03:56 PM
The issues with catalytic converters is that it is not an electronic device. Electronics usually cost a lot for R&D which is why they are expensive in small numbers but as volumes increase the price drops. Catalytic converters contain precious metals which are just expensive, and the more of these metals that are used the more the supply goes down and demand goes up. So if anything this $2,200 could increase in time.

Actually, check AutoZone or Pep Boyz, an auto cat is now about $100-150 for a universal. In 1990, they were about $500. I understand that the cost of metals has gone up, but there is a profit point of a $2200 upgrade engine. When that engine becomes standard, you can reduce the profit for that upgrade and just add the actual cost (which has to be less than $2200). The options on any vehicle has a profit built into the price, or else no one who offer options.

viking
12-09-2010, 10:11 PM
If it were an options to NOT have CATS I'd be all over that one! But sounds like you won't be able to get them without after the first quarter?

And THESACK..........that is some funny stuff right there ;)

sandm
12-10-2010, 10:33 AM
why no cats? cleans up the exhaust nicely..

wolfeman131
12-10-2010, 03:26 PM
Should be arriving with dealers this week. One of the more exciting items, will be that a dealer has up to 6 weeks BEFORE their show to write deals with the incentives. Once their show is done the incentives go away.

We're getting close to the 6 wk timeframe for some of the shows such as Atlanta which is scheduled for Jan 14 - 16th. So, anybody want to let us in on the specials so we can entice friends (or the wife) into a new Skier's Choice boat?