PDA

View Full Version : Starter going bad-Question

polar21
12-04-2010, 12:28 PM
Boat: 99 Outback
Motor: 5.7 Indmar

The starter is going bad in the boat. I turn the key and I get a "click" at the starter. If I turn the key a couple of times the starter will engage and start the motor. I have got a brand new battery in the boat and a new coil. Question is, would this starter work with the motor?

http://www.amazon.com/MERCRUISER-4-3L-MARINE-STARTER-1998-UP/dp/B002TISG16

Razzman
12-04-2010, 12:37 PM
Can't say but i highly recommend DB Electrical (http://stores.ebay.com/DB-Electrical-Starters-Alternators/Starters-Marine-Inboard-/_i.html?_fsub=16&_sid=67094701&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322) , I've purchased through their store and phone direct on a few boats and imo they can't be beat. They know their marine apps very well. Had them beef an alt once for higher output and the work was fantastic.

maxpower220
12-04-2010, 04:45 PM
You could look at having your starter rebuilt. Check the yellow pages, a lot of the time it is cheaper pllus you know it is the right one.

Razzman
12-04-2010, 06:10 PM
Funny, the one Polar posted is from DB Electrical. The units from DB are rebuilts done to marine specs, i have yet been able to find anyone better than them at it so far for the money.

deepcove
12-04-2010, 09:10 PM
Im with Maxpower......I had my existing starter rebuilt.

polar21
12-04-2010, 09:25 PM
Isnt it about $70 to have a starter rebuilt these days? If so, I think it would be better to just buy the one off amazon, especially if it is from the guys that the above posters are talking about.

I dont know about most people but having something "rebuilt" just isnt the same as something "new".

kaneboats
12-05-2010, 05:36 PM
I don't know. Lots of times nowadays "new" means replacement Chinese crap while "rebuilt" means you get your original restored to new condition-- its just not shiny like it was when new. If you've ever bought a "new" car alternator from Pep Boys you know what I'm talking about.

deepcove
12-05-2010, 08:07 PM
In Canada it is $80- $120 for a rebuild vs. $280 for new. And the rebuild comes back looking the same as new. Make more sense to me to recycle existing vs. tossing it and purchasing another.

polar21
12-05-2010, 10:29 PM
kaneboats,
Why do you have to go bashing pep boys? haha

No offense to pep boys but they should name that store china mart. Its pretty much an automotive harbor freight....(I do like harbor freight though).

I will have to check and see how much a rebuild is in my neck of the woods.

kaneboats
12-06-2010, 10:08 AM
Ah yes, Harbor Freight. Home of the single-use disposable tool. Only place besides the flea market where you can get a sawzall and throw it out after you use it one time.

jamie_abb
12-06-2010, 10:18 AM
Ah yes, Harbor Freight. Home of the single-use disposable tool. Only place besides the flea market where you can get a sawzall and throw it out after you use it one time.

We have a China Mart in Canada too - Canadian Tire or Crappy Tire. My wife thinks I'm excessive when I say "If there's three different kinds, get me the most expensive."

kaneboats
12-06-2010, 10:25 AM
If I go to one of those places I buy the cheapest one. I know I'm going to throw it out anyway and the more expensive one just has some gold paint on it.