PDA

View Full Version : New Boat Owner

rdlangston13
11-26-2010, 02:39 AM
Hey Guys,

I just bought a 2008 Mobius LSV and have a few questions about it that I think yall may be able to help me with.

1. Where is the drain plug to drain the water out of the engine block?? This may sound like a stupid question but I have no idea where it is.

2. My boat did not come with an owners manual and I was wondering if the bilge pump on these are automatics or the do they run constantly when the switch is on?

3. When I folded my tower down after the last time I went out the two support pieces on the back fell and I was unable to catch them, the hit the gel coat pretty hard and chipped/cracked it. can this be repaired and if so about how much would it cost?

4. Where can I get a pump to suck the oil out of the motor so I can change the oil?

Yeah, as you can see i am definitely a novice at this stuff.

moombadaze
11-26-2010, 08:27 AM
my answers

1) no idea myself as im in florida and have no need to drain

2) pumps are auto on if enough water is present, and will run if you switch it on

3)use 2 people to lower it, and yes it can be repaired-not sure how much

4)overtones.com, barts.com, tractor supply stores, harbour freight. jsut get a manuall vacum pump one. dont bother with the piece of crap battery operated unit

Welcome to Moomba ownership and the forums

VA LSV
11-26-2010, 09:09 AM
Link to owners manuals under About Moomba then Archive tabs at the top of the page.
http://moomba.com/downloads/owner_manuals/moomba_08.pdf

Engine block drain plugs are in the center on each side of block below the heads. look for brass 1/4" NPT pipe plugs.

Link to Indmar engine owners manual.
http://indmar.com/About/ContactIndmar/Manual_2003_Presentweb.pdf

jamie_abb
11-26-2010, 09:17 AM
Search for winterization on this forum and you can see everything you need. Good luck with the chips.

sandm
11-26-2010, 09:52 AM
I highly recommend the pela 6000 pump. I used one of the small ones that hooks up to a drill and it was a pos. anyone wants it, just pay me for shipping :)

got the pela off amazon earlier this year for around $50 and it was amazing. sucked the oil dry in no time at all and with no effort at all..

DOCDRS
11-26-2010, 10:23 AM
As far as the gellcoat......an idea is to add 2 more moomba step plates and mount them over the chipped areas so now you have a rest place for tower when its down or for the next time they drop

rdlangston13
11-27-2010, 03:16 PM
As far as the gellcoat......an ideas is to 2 more moomba step plates and mount them over the chipped areasonow you have arest place for tower when its down orforthe next time they drop

Where do I get these step plates that you speak of and how much do they cost?!? i was thinking about putting something there for them but was having a hard time deciding what to put there without it looking tacky.

im in egypt right now and the temp back home his hitting as low as 29 at night and my new toy has not yet been winterized. worrrriiedd:confused:

moombadaze
11-27-2010, 07:11 PM
on my lsv the step plates will not help cause when the rear legs of the tower are folded down they dont hit in the middle of the gun wale-they hit on the outside

rdlangston13
11-28-2010, 12:16 AM
on my lsv the step plates will not help cause when the rear legs of the tower are folded down they dont hit in the middle of the gun wale-they hit on the outside

thats odd cause mine hit dead center and there is a chip and crack on both sides where they land. i figured if you put wing bolt back in the swing arm a few threads and lay it down it rests on the plastic of the bolt instead of the hard metal of the arm. but still step plates would be nice

DOCDRS
11-28-2010, 02:19 AM
well I picked up Two Supra step plates from my dealer....i think they were about 40 or 45 a piece..... expensive but look good

rdlangston13
11-28-2010, 04:47 AM
well I picked up Two Supra step plates from my dealer....i think they were about 40 or 45 a piece..... expensive but look good

I hear you can only get the supra ones. I'm taking mine to the dealer next saturday, i guess ill see what they have.

viking
11-28-2010, 01:11 PM
couldn't you put some gatorgrip, seadek, or hydroturf (or the like) down on the gunwale as a step/protector pad?

Probably be alot cheaper than the step plates..........

rdlangston13
11-28-2010, 03:51 PM
couldn't you put some gatorgrip, seadek, or hydroturf (or the like) down on the gunwale as a step/protector pad?

Probably be alot cheaper than the step plates..........

i was looking at some seadeck but im not a little uneasy because i am not sure how good it will look being a different color. i mean i can go black or white, not really sure what would be the best fit for my boat though. my entire hull is blue including the gunwale, what do you think would look best?

FargoDawg
11-28-2010, 05:03 PM
I just repaired a couple chips in my garage, turned out good and is easy to do.

find a fiberglass fabrication shop. get a little jar of gelcoat, gerber baby food jar is what I was given,
get a little bottle of catalyst (its serious poison),
putty knife,
I had to buy an angle grinder because I couldnt access one from a friend... not that expensive and you dont need a top of the line one. i wish I would have got a 3 inch rather than 4 1/2 but oh well.
grind out the scratches/cracks into a v, fill with the gelcoat and catalyst give 24 hours to dry, sand and buff and Voila! you just repaired fiberglass

I was nervous, but it was painless...I still need to buff to get the shine.
my uncle has a tank fabrication business so it was easy for me to get the stuff so I cant help with prices you just dont need that much for small fixes where, I believe, if you asked nice they would hook you up.

the color matching could be a painful process if you needed that, my uncle makes white tanks and my chip and crack were in the white of my boat so It worked out.

good luck

rdlangston13
11-29-2010, 11:28 AM
I just repaired a couple chips in my garage, turned out good and is easy to do.

find a fiberglass fabrication shop. get a little jar of gelcoat, gerber baby food jar is what I was given,
get a little bottle of catalyst (its serious poison),
putty knife,
I had to buy an angle grinder because I couldnt access one from a friend... not that expensive and you dont need a top of the line one. i wish I would have got a 3 inch rather than 4 1/2 but oh well.
grind out the scratches/cracks into a v, fill with the gelcoat and catalyst give 24 hours to dry, sand and buff and Voila! you just repaired fiberglass

I was nervous, but it was painless...I still need to buff to get the shine.
my uncle has a tank fabrication business so it was easy for me to get the stuff so I cant help with prices you just dont need that much for small fixes where, I believe, if you asked nice they would hook you up.

the color matching could be a painful process if you needed that, my uncle makes white tanks and my chip and crack were in the white of my boat so It worked out.

good luck

thanks for the information but i dont trust myself to undertake a project like that. ill just leave body work to the pros

moombadaze
11-29-2010, 11:33 AM
thats odd cause mine hit dead center and there is a chip and crack on both sides where they land. i figured if you put wing bolt back in the swing arm a few threads and lay it down it rests on the plastic of the bolt instead of the hard metal of the arm. but still step plates would be nice

whats even odd'er is that its only one side

dusty2221
12-15-2010, 12:18 PM

By chance have pics of those Doc?

yearround
12-17-2010, 11:42 AM
Hey Guys,

I just bought a 2008 Mobius LSV and have a few questions about it that I think yall may be able to help me with.

3. When I folded my tower down after the last time I went out the two support pieces on the back fell and I was unable to catch them, the hit the gel coat pretty hard and chipped/cracked it. can this be repaired and if so about how much would it cost?

4. Where can I get a pump to suck the oil out of the motor so I can change the oil?

the others were well answered, here is my bit:
i have an 08 LSV, same as you! when i fold the tower down, i push the back legs forward to the windshield.

when i "demo'ed" a dealer boat to fit in my garage, we lowered the tower and dropped a leg on the gel and chipped, same as you. i learned on someone elses boat i guess. had to pay for the repair though. the tower then folds down to the boat. the board rack rest on the gunwales. i have gator grip step pad to protect the gel, and the lives of people stepping into the boat.

i also have my board racks on the top tower bar.

pump, 6th the pelo 6000 pump. bought online from who ever i found the cheapest, don't worry about needing to return it, you won't.