PDA

View Full Version : ocean surfing

DOCDRS
11-23-2010, 07:57 PM
Down in CostaRica and tried the real thing yesterday.....definitely harder than wakesurfing and wow talk about having to paddle my arms off tocatch the wave.....thank god you dont have to paddle to catch the boat wake :)

Mikey
11-23-2010, 10:10 PM
Also depends on the size of board and wave size as well.Years ago on honeymoon went to Hawaii and got a monster board,because i was a novice. Could not get up or catch a wave for the life of me. Next day asked for a medium sized board,also much lighter and with comparable waves i was able to get up and ride a few waves.
The big board was stable but a monster,the smaller board was good and stable enough with a little balance and with practice a small light board would be a lot of fun i think.

maxpower220
11-23-2010, 11:34 PM
I took up surfing when I was stationed in San Diego. Bought a 8'6" board and went a few times a week. I even took a lesson to get started. After about a year, I still suck! It is a workout, so that was good. It really took a lot for me to go out in 58 degree water, but as I sat on my board in the morning before work, occasionally the BUDS (Navy Seals) guys would swim by on their 5 mile morning swim and I didn't feel so cold.
While I can get up and ride waves up to about 5', I am limited on an skill. After years of wakeboarding and snowboarding, I thought I would pick it up pretty quick. No dice.

One morning when riding with friends from work, I dropped in on a nice large wave and proceeded to get crushed. It felt like 30 seconds underwater, probably a real 15 sec, that really took some confidence away.

BensonWdby
11-24-2010, 12:24 AM
Where in Costa Rica? We spent a week in Tamarindo a few years ago... Tried surfing - never cught a wave. But my son sort of figured it out... A lot of waiting - both to recover from the paddle and for the right wave.

you da man
11-24-2010, 12:27 AM
I surfed Hawaii (born there) and lived in Texas most my life and lived near the coast for a couple years. Yes, you can surf in Texas every so often. The waves are small and hardly any power unless you paddle waaaaaay out. I rode a 6'8" board in Texas and similar size boards in Hawaii. Ocean surfing is harder than wakesurfing...you really can't compare the two but wakesurfing will give you an edge when learning to ocean surf. As mentioned, in ocean surfing you need to have a strong upper body to paddle into the wave. You also need to be able to get out to the waves by paddling and often duck diving under the waves. Wakesurfing the wave doesn't change (except the ocassional roller). Ocean surfing, two waves are rarely alike. Wakesurfing you only have to worry about not dinging the platform. Ocean surfing you have to worry about the bottom/reef and something eating you.

moombahighrider
11-24-2010, 01:27 AM
I actually surfed in the ocean for years in australia, where I am from, before I ever tried wake surfing. When I tried wake surfing I found it really easy to get the balance and let go of the rope, but most of my friends can not get it and get frustrated when they see how easy it is for me. They don't believe me when I tell them that it takes years of consistent surfing to get even close to standing and feeling confident. there definitely is crossover, but I wouldn't say that it is close to the same feeling.

Canuckle Head
11-24-2010, 02:04 PM
This is me at Ollies Point in CR last July:
http://i702.photobucket.com/albums/ww30/wedeh/Surfing/DSC_9404.jpg?t=1290621740

saskie99
11-24-2010, 02:13 PM
that is a sick pic!

kaneboats
11-24-2010, 02:14 PM
Nice!! One of the only real uses for a jet-ski or waverunner or whatever is to tow the surfers back out.

DOCDRS
11-24-2010, 08:48 PM
awesome pic canuckle......am at playa grande going out again tomorrow, but that pic is only in my dreams after one day at it :)

Canuckle Head
11-25-2010, 12:37 AM
Humbling isn't it? :). (Refering to the ocean)

sailing217
11-29-2010, 03:20 PM
Soooo Jealous of that pic Canuckle.

bergermaister
11-30-2010, 09:53 AM
That is a sweet shot Canuckle - so jealous....

I am headed to Maui in January with the kiddos for my brother's wedding and have been throwing around the idea of getting out and surfing a real ocean wave (check that off my bucket list). I'm sure it would be on a long board with smaller waves. I have only been wakesurfing 2 summers but am dying to catch a "real" wave.

Well, a real wave where the water is warm and the chances of something having me for an appetizer are slim to none. Don't have to worry about that when I step off my swim platform!

kaneboats
11-30-2010, 01:06 PM
Well, a real wave where the water is warm and the chances of something having me for an appetizer are slim to none. Don't have to worry about that when I step off my swim platform!

Hmm. I wish I had that security.

bergermaister
11-30-2010, 01:32 PM
I heard one time that years ago they found some piranha in the Columbia River here, but suspect that someone dumped them during the high point of summer and they would have been dead as soon as the water cooled off. I had a few "pet" piranhas in a big aquarium in my younger days and they were pretty finicky about having a tropical water temp so I'm sure if there really were any in the river they died quickly.

I've seen a few seals during early salmon season but they keep their distance usually.

Do loud stereos atttract or deter the gators down there? :cool:

kaneboats
11-30-2010, 02:37 PM
They must deter them. I haven't seen anyone eaten alive in weeks.

Canuckle Head
12-01-2010, 12:48 PM
Hey thanks for the kind words guys. I have been surifng for about 18 years now up here in Canada. Where I live the surf season starts in late September and runs through the winter till about late March / early April. The best month is December if you can believe it. Of course we are wearing 5mm hooded suits with booties and gloves so it's a lot different than surfing 80 degree water down in Central America.

At least it's too cold up here for most predators. Other than the occasional aggressive sea lion which happens during the mating season. Oh yeah, and there was this one time that I was spy hopped by a pod of Orca. That was a little unerving let me tell ya. Luckily they are smart and realized I wasn't a seal.