PDA

View Full Version : boat pulling right!

06outback
11-20-2010, 07:11 PM
I am looking at a outback to buy and it has new steering cable and a 4 blade stainless cutter prop. I noticed that the boat pulls to the right pretty hard if you let go of the wheel. Is this normal or could there be a problem?
Thanks.

schuylski
11-21-2010, 09:47 AM
I think that's normal if it's only when you let go- has to do with the fact the prop is rotating a certain way, and possibly wind, current, water- all sorts of possibilities. But if your sitting there having to hold on because the wheel is pulling you hard right then I think that's a problem. My LSV will sometimes go straight if I let go for a second- other times it tries to whip around...

jmvotto
11-21-2010, 01:38 PM
seems normal, mine pulls to the right as well

phospher
11-21-2010, 05:25 PM
Yes, probably normal. Some boats come with adjustable rudder tabs so you can do just that. Adjust how hard she pulls. Some people like more pull others less.. Buy it!

06outback
11-21-2010, 05:41 PM
I'm going to pick it up Tues, I'll post pics when I get it home.

viking
11-21-2010, 06:02 PM
Not sure. My 07 tracks straight all the time. I can let go of the steering wheel and she'll continue to laser track. maybe i'm in the minority? I think the outback will track more due to it being a slalom boat!

DOCDRS
11-21-2010, 08:24 PM
I am looking at a outback to buy and it has new steering cable and a 4 blade stainless cutter prop. I noticed that the boat pulls to the right pretty hard if you let go of the wheel. Is this normal or could there be a problem?
Thanks.

probably ok, but check under the boat from the back and the front and look at the tracking fins and rudder. fins should be straight and aligned, the rudder will be offset prob to the right of the propshaft to allow propshaft removal. check that nothing has been hit and look for gel coat stress cracks around their mounting areas. Oh by the way there are 2 trains of thought on this.... as far as driving....one being its nice to have it track straight and the other that thru a slolam course a driver likes to have the boat under pressure to keep it straight

FamilyMatters
11-21-2010, 08:42 PM
Mine tracks straight as an arrow. You can take both hands off the wheel and Accelerate and the wheel doesn't move. It's the Only Moomba I've driven, but a Mastercraft X-7 of my friends is just as true as my moomba, same set up!

jmvotto
11-21-2010, 10:47 PM
hmn.. two direct drives going straight must be a trend...

schuylski
11-21-2010, 11:42 PM
This is interesting- let's take a poll

kaneboats
11-22-2010, 01:15 AM
An old pro slalom driver told me they shave the rudders to drive to one side so in the course they keep pressure and don't have to constantly adjust like you do driving down a highway.

moombadaze
11-22-2010, 01:34 PM
An old pro slalom driver told me they shave the rudders to drive to one side so in the course they keep pressure and don't have to constantly adjust like you do driving down a highway.

I've heard this too

Jet
12-14-2010, 02:02 PM
Mine goes straight. lol

zegm
12-14-2010, 04:02 PM
My old MasterCraft would pull right, the Moomba LS goes straight.

rdlangston13
12-15-2010, 11:13 AM
im not really sure what mine does. sounds like an excuse to get on the water!

rc5695
12-15-2010, 01:07 PM
im not really sure what mine does. sounds like an excuse to get on the water!

lol. :cool:

cham
12-15-2010, 07:13 PM
If I let go of the steering wheel mine will pull slightly right.

I chalked that up to the vortex that's hitting the rudder. The prop spins the water and that spinning water creates lateral torque on the rudders surface.

I imagine if your steering is pretty tight you'll notice it much less than if yours is loose like mine. Its not like my boat dives to the right but if you let go of the steering it definately drifts to the right.

greenmonster
12-24-2010, 01:59 PM
My steering wheel spins to the right if you let go at speed...could be dangerous if someone else was driving and wasn't expecting it.

mmandley
12-31-2010, 10:47 AM
Thats typical of V drives as the prop is putting a huge amount of water past the rudder and it will force the rudder to the right as the rudder is off center to the prop

KSmith
01-15-2011, 04:37 PM
Toast walks to deli to meet spam for date

DOCDRS
01-16-2011, 09:36 PM
this may answer your question as to why.....
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4004/4528699730_fc907df8e8_z.jpg

way more push on the left side causing the rudder to go into a right boat steer?

haknslash
05-21-2019, 11:33 PM
Bumping this old thread. Last weekend while doing the break-in I was able to get it to 4000 rpm and 25-27mph or somewhere along there. When I let go of the steering wheel the boat turned pretty sharp to the right. I though hmm maybe I crossed a wave or something but when I let go another time at those speeds it wanted to turn to the right again. It does not do this when I was at slower speeds. With this being my first v drive I don't know if this is normal and just a characteristic of these boats. My steering wheel isn't hard to hold or anything and feels fine. It's just the boat sort of surprised me when I let go thinking the tracking fins would hold the boat straight. Anyone with a Max experience the same thing?

z28ke
05-24-2019, 10:29 AM
Bumping this old thread. Last weekend while doing the break-in I was able to get it to 4000 rpm and 25-27mph or somewhere along there. When I let go of the steering wheel the boat turned pretty sharp to the right. I though hmm maybe I crossed a wave or something but when I let go another time at those speeds it wanted to turn to the right again. It does not do this when I was at slower speeds. With this being my first v drive I don't know if this is normal and just a characteristic of these boats. My steering wheel isn't hard to hold or anything and feels fine. It's just the boat sort of surprised me when I let go thinking the tracking fins would hold the boat straight. Anyone with a Max experience the same thing?

I’m pretty sure they all do this at that speed due to prop rotation. I know my 2008 Outback V did. I’ll see if my max does as well this weekend.