PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever...

you da man
11-17-2010, 12:57 PM
Remove the swim platform with full ballast (750's or bigger) to see if the wake is cleaner? Just saw a bunch of pics of Amber Wing (Supra sponsored) and her Gravity Games Supra does not have the platform...the wake is huge and clean on both sides. Typically Supras and Moombas have a slight wash on one side until you reach 23-24mph when fully loaded with large sacs (Outbacks not included or older LSV)

bzubke1
11-17-2010, 01:57 PM
I've tried it for surfing and was suprised it didnt really help much. For boarding I weight pretty heavy and have never noticed the platform dragging in the water but I do ride at 24 so that could be why.

Do people really have problems with one side being washed out on the moombas and supras?

sandm
11-17-2010, 02:18 PM
can't talk for supra/moomba and boarding, but I know that ragboy of wake9 did a lot of research into platforms when surfing on his tige and found that there was no benefit to removing it at all.

not to mention I can't imagine trying to climb up into the boat without it :)
not worth even thinking about imo...

bzubke1
11-20-2010, 04:05 PM
That makes sense cause i've never had any such issues.

Hillbilly
11-26-2010, 10:00 PM
It is WAAAAYYY easier to move a person one side or the other then to remove the whole platform ?

Or get a couple pop bags to slide around the cabin, Or even the cube sac's from Flyhigh.

MTMOOMBA
11-27-2010, 11:01 PM
We have only had our boat for this past summer but did notice it was pretty touchy with the weight distribution...we tried to balance the boat as evenly as we could to make sure the wake was clean...the cooler of beer seemed to be the deciding factor the majority of the time :D

MTMOOMBA
11-27-2010, 11:02 PM
Ooops forgot to mention....came across some videos the other night of "Kite-boarding" has anyone tried this?!! It looks like it might be a total blast, but a little spendy to get equipped with the kite....

you da man
11-28-2010, 12:26 PM
That makes sense cause i've never had any such issues.

The issue I was bringing up was with the XLV having clean wakes on both sides under 23mph. I assume the larger boats or larger freeboard need more speed but hull design plays a role. I've played around with every ballast configuration. Once you start crashing at 23+...that stuff hurts. I know it's not really an issue with the pros or long line riders because they usually ride 24-25mph and Randall Harris rides up to 28mph with a 92' line. It's not really a big deal to me with having the one side slightly washed on the lip because it's never on the side the wakeboarder is on...that side is clean. On my XLV once you jump the opposite side that had the slight wash cleans up so basically the side the rider is on is always clean. This only happens around 22mph and below. Anything around 22.5-23 and above, both sides are clean.

11-28-2010, 01:16 PM
you da man is right, that is exactly how my XLV performs as well. The opposite side will have a bit of wash but the wake side the rider is hitting is fine. its really not so bad because it makes for a cushy landing zone.

saskie99
11-30-2010, 03:17 PM
dont you want to hit both sides??? Nothing make me more frustrated than when you get behind the boat and the wake are not even.

you da man
11-30-2010, 03:41 PM
dont you want to hit both sides??? Nothing make me more frustrated than when you get behind the boat and the wake are not even.

We do hit both sides, re-read my last post. Below 22mph it's just barely washed on the lip on the opposite wake, not the wake you're launching off of.

saskie99
11-30-2010, 05:27 PM
So it washes as you start your cut at the wake and increases as you load the line? And when you cut back from the other side is stays firm on cutting side and washes in the landing side.

So it stays firm on which ever side you are making your cut on??

you da man
11-30-2010, 06:03 PM
So it washes as you start your cut at the wake and increases as you load the line? And when you cut back from the other side is stays firm on cutting side and washes in the landing side.

So it stays firm on which ever side you are making your cut on??

Yes, good shape and size on the cutting side with very minimal wash on the lip of the landing side. I should have mentioned that if you're short line then the wake is clean on both at slower speeds 21-22. If you're riding the XLV with 70' line then you need to be at 23+.

saskie99
12-01-2010, 10:40 AM
That makes sense. I do agree about crashing at 23-24 hurt more. When I upgraded to 750s rear and 650 bow we bumped the speed up to 23 and you can go way bigger and fall way harder!