PDA

View Full Version : Winterize quick disconnect

phospher
11-16-2010, 05:51 PM
When I winterized this winter, I diconnected the quick coupling which is suppose to drain the manifolds but no water came out. Has anyone else seen this? I also filled the engine with pink antifreeze and I think it took 2 gallons or so.

DOCDRS
11-16-2010, 06:14 PM
you have the dripless seal that is hooked up to these lines, so any water/a freeze flows out the seal

deerfield
11-16-2010, 07:01 PM
no water came out. Has anyone else seen this?

phospher - Based on my experience with '07 Outback, that is not normal. A black hose at the rear of the engine connects the two exhaust manifolds. On my Outback, a threaded garden hose fitting lets me disconnect the hose and separate it into two pieces. As soon as I unthread the fitting, water drains from the manifolds and runs out each of the two hose sections and down into the bilge. Cannot imagine why no water drained from your manifolds. Regarding the antifreese treatment, I winterize using five gallons. In addition to the engine block, I need enough to also circulate through the heater lines and core. Doc makes reference to the dripless seal, but I'm not sure how this relates to the issue you raise. He is much better at this stuff than me, so could be that I'm not fully understanding your situsation. Let's see if he chimes back in here. Want to make sure you get the bext advice possible. - Deerfield

Razzman
11-16-2010, 07:13 PM
you have the dripless seal that is hooked up to these lines, so any water/a freeze flows out the seal

DOC the manifold drain is not connected to the dripless. I just winterized last weekend and probably dumped 1/2 - 3/4 of a gallon out of the manifold connect hose when seperated.

DOCDRS
11-16-2010, 10:31 PM
DOC the manifold drain is not connected to the dripless. I just winterized last weekend and probably dumped 1/2 - 3/4 of a gallon out of the manifold connect hose when seperated.

I guess some boats have it connected to the exhaust mani quick connect and some to the post impeller hose, I thought it was just some of the DD's my mistake, mine is at the Emani quick connect, and I get no water out when i disconnect it. Phospher needs to tell us where his dripless is hooked up. All 07 and up have the dripless as standard equipment.

so back to the original question the i have to agree that no water is not normal, and maybe he should look for a blockage or run the boat and disconnect to see if water flows out throu the quick connector maybe

phospher
11-17-2010, 01:12 AM
There is in-fact a water line that runs from one of the disconnect hoses to the dripless seal. This is my first time winterizing the Outback so I'm trying to figure out whats normal and not.
Thanks guys.

mcdye
11-17-2010, 08:46 AM
Phospher needs to tell us where his dripless is hooked up. All 07 and up have the dripless as standard equipment.

On my boat ('10 LSV) the water supply for the dripless shaft seal is feed from a port on the transmission cooler.

DOCDRS
11-17-2010, 08:25 PM
There is in-fact a water line that runs from one of the disconnect hoses to the dripless seal. This is my first time winterizing the Outback so I'm trying to figure out whats normal and not.
Thanks guys.

So that is in fact why no water came out , see my first post.....there are 2 variations on dripless hook up, all depends if it was transmission Bob or exhaust Bob in the factory who hooked it up :)

viking
11-17-2010, 09:47 PM
So that is in fact why no water came out , see my first post.....there are 2 variations on dripless hook up, all depends if it was transmission Bob or exhaust Bob in the factory who hooked it up :)

ha ha - funny docdrs!
I'd be interested in seeing a picture phospher if you get a chance. Both mine and deerfield's are plumbed into the port side post impeller housing.

Here's a picture of how ours r plumbed in

DOCDRS
11-18-2010, 12:53 AM
ha ha - funny docdrs!
I'd be interested in seeing a picture phospher if you get a chance. Both mine and deerfield's are plumbed into the port side post impeller housing.

Here's a picture of how ours r plumbed in

not trying to be funny, mine is plumbed into the exhaust coupler as well, well maybe a little :).......but I guess it is odd that S.C. installs these 2 different ways on both the dd's and the vd's oops or maybe it indmar that does.... but here you can see my blue tube coming off (just above water strainer) courtesy of Exhaust Bobby

phospher
11-18-2010, 04:02 PM
Thanks.

I won't be able t post a pic because my boat is in storage (not at my house) for the winter. If I get out to the boat at all this winter I'll get a pic.