PDA

View Full Version : Pick My Suit!!

cham
11-14-2010, 10:54 AM
I'm down to these 4 wetsuits. I'm in the Orlando area (Winter Garden) and we typically don't see water temps too cold but I'm sure they'll be in the 60's soon. Air temps are usually in the mid 70's this time through first of the year with occasional cold snaps but I won't be wakeboarding those days.

I know the glued seams are ideal as well as a water tight zipper but plain and simple I just can't afford an expensive suit, times are tight.

I aslo wasn't sure if I should get long sleeve/short sleeve & full suit or short.

Here are the 4 I'm down to

Cheapo Ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/MENS-SHORTY-WETSUIT-L-XL-2X-FRONT-ZIPPER-M9815-/360318738400?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53e4ab9fe0

Hyperflex Cyclone
http://www.ebodyboarding.com/Brands/hyperflex/Hyperflex-Cyclone-2-5mm-Long-Sleeve-Spring-Wetsuit

H20dssey 4/3 Full suit
http://www.pleasuresports.com/menswetsuitmaui.html

H20dssey 3/2 full suit
http://www.pleasuresports.com/menswetsuitbaja.html

I should also note that I'm on a tight budget, the guys that I ride with have cheapo suits (one doesn't have one at all) so they won't want to ride on cold days anyway. The main purpose of this suit is to try and get an extra couple of months out of the season (November & February)

dru1974
11-14-2010, 11:18 AM
Why don't u go to costco. They have good suits for like 65 bucks

cham
11-14-2010, 11:20 AM
Why don't u go to costco. They have good suits for like 65 bucks

I don't have a membership there but I'm sure I could find a way. What are the name brands there that are good?

My other thought was that if good is $65 but you can get a great suit for $90 then I'll do that.

dru1974
11-14-2010, 11:21 AM
The warmest our water gets up here is like 80 so I don't really feel for u to much

dru1974
11-14-2010, 11:24 AM
They are bare wetsuits and for he last 35 years they have worked fin for us here and water temps when we start in the spring are 59 degrees

cham
11-14-2010, 11:32 AM
The warmest our water gets up here is like 80 so I don't really feel for u to much

Our water doesn't usually get any higher than that, although this summer it got to like 85 and we started getting infections in our eyes and ears when we went out from all the bacteria.

We've had some cool nights so I'm guessing the water is in the 60's now. Air temps in the mid to upper 70's.

maxpower220
11-14-2010, 11:44 AM
I went to college in Tampa (basically the same weather/water temps) and we skied year round with no wet suits. Man up. Make sure you have sweats/thermals in the boat when you get out. There is no cost to sucking it up.

cham
11-14-2010, 11:54 AM
lol, I'm not saying I couldn't. But it would be nice to have something to help with that first in shock!!

cham
11-14-2010, 12:44 PM
None of them.

get a great suit at a good price.

Get an Exceed Execute (full suit). http://www.exceedwetsuits.com/

You can pick it up for about $90.

Exceed is owned by a Florida Moomba owner, and the wetsuits are designed by Floridians.

does me very well in our Orlando "winters".

contact Mark. He'll get the suit to you by next weekend.

e

I don't see a single wetsuit on that site for $90 and the execute is twice that much.

cham
11-14-2010, 01:22 PM
didja miss the part where I said to contact Mark?

Tell him your a Moomba owner, a Moomba board member and you heard of his company here.

you can get an exceed or you can get just a run of the mill wetsuit.

I think Moombadaze got one around the same price I paid too.

Oh, how about this.... I have a large Exceed Execute I'm willing to sell for $325...and I'll throw in a pair of Kicker KMT6 tower speakers and a Kicker amplifier.

I'll deliver to West Orange Trail Winter Garden station

I saw that part, I didn't realize that could equal a discount :D

you da man
11-15-2010, 10:58 AM
I'm gonna say none of the suits you picked are good for water temps in the 60's. I realize you're on a tight budget but "good" suits do cost a little money. If you can bump up to around $150 then you get into a better class of suit. Keep in mind that the main feature of a good suit is glued/tape seams (aka: a sealed suit). Those cheapo suits will immediately will rush water in the seams and zipper and you'll be cold for a while before you warm up. However, any suit is better than no suit.

thesack
11-15-2010, 02:44 PM
Why not just get a guru/heater top?

Our water temp rarely gets above 70 during the summer and just trunk it. But we will wear a heater top from time to time when the water temp is between like 58-65, usually depends on what the air temp is more so then the water temp. I rode on Saturday the water temp was 50 and I wore a full 3/2 and was plenty warm in it.

cham
11-15-2010, 08:16 PM
I rode this past weekend and the water was freezing (to a Florida guy). I'm guessing low 70's to high 60's. My step dad had a SWS spring suit and I was plenty warm.

I tried to look up SWS since I liked it but apparently Connelley will no longer be making these. I found a scuba spring suit to use made by decor. It has sealed seams and although it's made for scuba its a spring suit and should have plenty of mobility.

A scuba shop was closing and selling it $50 (normally $140)

dru1974
11-15-2010, 11:16 PM
I have to say. Every time I read your posts I laugh. Here or on WW. 150 bucks is a lot to some people.and there is nothing wrong with a 60 dollar wetsuit from a large wholesaler other than the huge badging that a 150 buck suit would have

you da man
11-16-2010, 01:34 AM
I have to say. Every time I read your posts I laugh. Here or on WW. 150 bucks is a lot to some people.and there is nothing wrong with a 60 dollar wetsuit from a large wholesaler other than the huge badging that a 150 buck suit would have

Nothing wrong but very little right with a $60 suit. I've had cheap suits and they are cheap. They are better than nothing but you still cannot say that a $60 cheap suit with flatlock seams, low quality neoprene, no liner, and a non-waterproof zipper is better than a more quality suit with better neoprene, warmer liners, waterproof zipper (or better yet a chest zipper), and glued/taped seams. I'm not saying he's gotta spend $400 on an Oneil Psycho wetsuit but another $75-$100 gets him in a much better class of suit than will do a better job. I don't mind if you laugh, I'm use to your occassional useless sarcasm or "busting balls" of other members.

dru1974
11-16-2010, 09:48 AM
I am glad u get my my sarcasm and I may be wrong and I know you will all correct me but...it's a Wet suit so when you go in the water water gets in and your body heats that water up and there will be some exchange but it's not a dry suit.

you da man
11-16-2010, 10:18 AM
I am glad u get my my sarcasm and I may be wrong and I know you will all correct me but...it's a Wet suit so when you go in the water water gets in and your body heats that water up and there will be some exchange but it's not a dry suit.

You are correct sir. However, most manufacturers today have advanced their top of the line suits to the point that your chest area is pretty much dry but to do this sizing is critical. My Xcel Infinit Drylock suit does this (I do have a drysuit though that I haven't used yet). I know the guy that started this post said he's on a tight budget and I definately do not have deep pockets seeing that I work in law enforcement. I do manage to find great deals online with patience and shopping out of season. My O'neil drysuit I got for $125 on Craigslist and it doesn't even look used. My Xcel Infiniti Drylock suit usually goes for $325-$350 but I found it on close-out in my size for $189.

harmsway
11-19-2010, 11:55 PM
One site you can check out for "cheap" wetsuits www.tommydsports.com.
Also www.evo.com has pretty good prices on higher quality suits & free ship over $100.00.

aquaexceed
11-27-2010, 02:06 PM
Hey guys, Mark from Exceed wetsuits here. We are located in Fort Lauderdale, Florida and are happy Moomba owners. Actually in Lake Placid right now doing some wakeboarding behind her. We give all Moomba owners a "special" price. This is not some cheap wetsuit. Our wetsuits have GBS seams and use the best neoprene you can buy. Feel free to call me anytime. The office number is 954-759-9998. Thanks.