PDA

View Full Version : Winterizing main issue fixed

jester
11-13-2010, 08:31 PM
So each year during Winterizing and DeWinterizing the bolts on the engine block are always a pain to get in and out. I always have a feer of cross threading the bolts and well that would suck. I also enjoy going out in the winter when it is not raining. Now i have made it simple to DeWinterize and Winterize. I have installed ball valves to the engine block. They are locking so i do not have to worry about them coming open during the summer and with a twist the engine block is drained. Attached are a few photo's. the size it 1/4". I will be able to test when the rain stops and i have a nice weekend again.

zabooda
11-13-2010, 10:51 PM
Looks like it should work for you. Ball valves either fail in the stuck open or closed position so hopefully silt and sand doesn't raise havoc. Tell us how it goes in next year's winterization.

DOCDRS
11-13-2010, 11:04 PM
I had these on my 99 outback, they worked fine and i never had a problem, I guess you do not have knock sensors?? they worked way better than the silly petcock valves that came with the engine

jester
11-14-2010, 04:20 PM
I guess you do not have knock sensors??

How would a knock sensor change it? It is just like having the plug in since it still holds the same amount of water in the engine.

zabooda, I have never had sand or junk come out when i drain the system. I never beach the boat so I do not think i will have an issue.

DOCDRS
11-14-2010, 09:20 PM
The knock sensor screws over a solid large block plug. I suppose the plug could be screwed into the ball valve, it would be easier to remove and replace on the brass housing, or even just hand tightened with T tape

viking
11-15-2010, 12:16 AM
I don't think my DD has a knock sensor? Didn't see one while winterizing?

jester
11-15-2010, 12:05 PM
DOCDRS, Thanks for the pic. I do not have a knock sensor.

mmandley
11-18-2010, 10:17 AM
DOCDRS i think the Knock dendors wernt added unless you got the Cats. I havnt seen any knock sensors on the boats up to 08 and none of the wones i looked at had Cats. Not sure but thats what im thinking.

Mike man bro always count on you for ideas LOL. I am a little concerned with the Brass fittings. You got to remember the engine will go from 50 degrees to 350 to 450 down on that area of the block, with the brass be ok with all the temperture changes? I would hate to see it get seized up and then your drilling it out also.

I would really try to stick with a cast or a Steel male to male connector that way at the very least your only replacing it in the block