PDA

View Full Version : Question for people with heaters

lsvboombox
11-11-2010, 11:09 AM
Have any of you installed the y fitting on your water pick up hose so you can hook up the heater return line to it? Heater craft says it increases the water flow at idle...

Or do most of you just hook up both lines engine?

lsvboombox
11-11-2010, 04:38 PM
thx. I ended up buying the y fitting but i gues will not use it. Got 2 of these nifty valves to use on the block

http://www.heatercraft.com/images/products/Medium/H412-med.jpg

viking
11-11-2010, 06:27 PM
Question - why not use it if you've got it? What would be the downside of using it and I'm sure you wouldn't complain about being warmer at idle without having to get up to speed?

lsvboombox
11-11-2010, 06:34 PM
Question - why not use it if you've got it? What would be the downside of using it and I'm sure you wouldn't complain about being warmer at idle without having to get up to speed?

not really sure of any downside.. seems very easy to splice into the water pick up tube....The say to install between the vdrive and water pump..

Was hoping to get some feedback on any pos or negs on going that route.

cab13367
11-11-2010, 08:00 PM
Have any of you installed the y fitting on your water pick up hose so you can hook up the heater return line to it? Heater craft says it increases the water flow at idle...

Or do most of you just hook up both lines engine?

I am not understanding this - how exactly do you hook up this Y fitting and how does it provide more water flow/heat at idle?

DOCDRS
11-11-2010, 08:12 PM
the impeller will suck water from the heater that will be replaced with hot water from the block....a downside may be that on higher rpms more water (Hot) will be being pulled from the heater by the impeller and back into the block resulting in a decreased cooling capacity......not sure if it would make a big difference.....I suppose on hot days this valve would be closed , but open on cold days when you want more heat and keeping the engine cool is not a problem.....02

cab13367
11-11-2010, 08:37 PM
Thanks doc. I doubt anyone would remember to close the valve at the engine on hot/warm days but I don't think it would be an issue, unless you boat in 80 degree water on 100 degree days. But then again, you probably wouldn't have a heater if you did :)

I don't think I'd pay $40 for it anyway. We only idle for short periods of time and there is plenty of heat from the heater for those short periods.

schuylski
11-11-2010, 08:55 PM
I've been toying with this heater idea in my head for a while- IF I even want to go the heater route, how I would install it, if I'm capable of installing it, if the "y" adapter in front of the impeller was worth it, if it would be warm enough, etc...

Thanks DOC- You just answered a problem I've been messing with - I was thinking warmer air at idle would be nice - would want the heater to be as hot as possible and install the "y" adapter. BUT, was worried about engine cooling then not being as effective (only possible downside imo). And then you step in - If you install valves to cut off the heater loop, which would be completely unnecessary on a hot day, then the "hot" water would not be recirculated - it would be as if there wasn't a heater installed! Genius!

also came across these files in my travels - found it interesting, i was trying to grasp how the raw water cooling system and thermostat worked.

now back to the am i capable part of this..... and do I have the money.... oh geez. :rolleyes:

lsvboombox
11-11-2010, 10:31 PM
here is a diagram of the y fitting

http://mccollister.info/yadapter.jpg