PDA

View Full Version : Adding a Sub...

usaski1
11-10-2010, 09:43 AM
Okay, I know this has been covered before, but Ihave got a 08 Outback, with the factory 6 speakers, they are all Kicker, and the Factory Z.200 amp. Im satisfied with how the cabin sounds, but need t oput in a sub. Thinking 10 inch or 12 inch... not sure at the moment. At the drivers feet sound good, because I wont loose storage space under the observers seat. So... I want to replace the amp that I have, and get an amp that could also power the sub. (5 Channel I presume) What is a good amp that I should get. I need to d othis on the chaep, so no more than $200 for the amp on ebay. And prob $150 for the sub and box perhaps. Ideas?

kaneboats
11-10-2010, 10:51 AM
Go on ebay and search "Infinity". Got a great amp cheap. It was a refurb but I'm very happy with it.

Razzman
11-10-2010, 11:34 AM
The Kicker ZX700.5 is a good choice also for a single amp application. I would stick to a 10" sub and box due to that fact a 5 channel amp won't have huge power to drive a sub, generally around 150-200w @ 4ohms or 350-400w @ 2ohms. size constraints will also be more of an issue with a 12" as you'll need a bigger box.

EarmarkMarine
11-10-2010, 12:19 PM
Usa,
There is no pressing need to replace your existing amplifier. Here's why. Any 5-channel amplifier within your budget is not going to give you more percieved output on the six coaxials over the 4-channel Kicker that you have in the boat now. Even with a third more power you will gain no more than 1dB output which is the smallest difference that you can detect. Once you run the existing amplifier and speakers in the highpass mode and limit their bandwidth and narrow their responsibility (both the amplifier and speakers) you will experience a dramatic difference in both output and clarity. Also, by adding a subwoofer and the two octaves of material you are presently missing your perception of volume will skyrocket. This will allow you to get a little more quality in your sub amplifier and woofer given your limited budget.

A cheap MDF car sub box will fail within a season. The carpet wrap may conceal the failed seams for another year or two but the failure will exist none the less. You should invest a little more in a custom enclosure for a marine application.

You can expect to get a JL Audio amplifier, JL Audio 10-inch subwoofer, custom polyurethane-clad enclosure (bedliner type coating) with binding post terminal cup and polymer mounting to elevate the enclosure off all carpeted surfaces with new product warranty for $400 shipped.

You will also need to run a second power supply feed since the existing battery power and ground cable will not support an addition or upgrade.

David
Earmark Marine

usaski1
11-10-2010, 12:24 PM
Thanks David.. Your a pretty smart feller! :-)

As for the kicker 700 amp, that is $320.. too much moolah.

David.. do you have a link for $400 shipped for what you are suggusting?

EarmarkMarine
11-10-2010, 01:29 PM
USA,
Shoot me an email with your contact info and I will send you the specific links on what I would recommend.
[email protected]
David

usaski1
11-10-2010, 01:37 PM
Also, Another mod I'm looking at, would be to replace the 2 remotes on the boat with something else. I dont like them, how the buttons feel, I would really like a knob for volume control, pause or mute button, and track forward/back. Has anyone replaced their aux remotes with something else? I still have the kenwood deck and will most likely be keeping that.

usaski1
11-10-2010, 02:25 PM
How about this? 10 inch Kicker with Box, matches my other kicker stuff. Anyone Tried?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Kicker-Marine-SKM10-SUBBOX-/260689907967?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cb25450ff\

Serch SKM10 if that link doesn't work.

Brianinpdx
11-10-2010, 02:33 PM
USA - I responded to your PM about the Exile setups from our custom shop. After seeing this post, and your intended budget, I'd suggest taking a closer look at David's pre made 10" setups. The Exile setups are much more expensive port tuned 12" box+woofer+amplifier packages.

The video below has been previously posted on the site but I cant find it. This shows you the details etc.

Exile Custom enclosure (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8DUDbDEako)

Whatever you end up with remember to use stainless mounting hardware and make sure the enclosure is lifted up off the floor.

Cheers!

-Brian

viking
11-10-2010, 03:20 PM
Listen to Brian and David........they are a great resource!

A good Mono amp. should be had for what you are looking at spending and better than replacing existing with a 5 channel in my opinion. Sub and enclosure might run you a bit more but worth it. Good luck!

cham
11-23-2010, 09:13 AM
If I can piggy back this thread I'd like a suggestion for a new sub & head unit. I already have a Sony Xplod that I think should be fine. My boat is only 19' and it fills with sound quite easily.