PDA

View Full Version : If you had +/-$500

TL7
11-06-2010, 06:13 PM
to basically blow on your boat, what would you get? Got a good bump at work, and figured I'd treat myself (or myself and wife).

My stereo needs nothing, we have an upgraded prop, ballast is where I want it, just bought a new Prop Pro surfboard this summer, and we don't need anymore wakeboards. Maybe there's nothing I need (which is a good feeling), but figured if anyone had great ideas it would be on this board. I suppose one more surfer couldn't hurt - maybe a surf style Inland Surfer would be on the radar.

I always think of stuff I want to buy, but am drawing a blank now. If all else fails I'll probably just put it toward a vacation or something stupid like not spend it at all :D.

Suggestions?

you da man
11-06-2010, 06:46 PM
Replace the stock platform pad with Seadek. Maybe some interior LED lights because it sucks looking for stuff in the dark and the stock lights are totally inadequate.

Ian Brantford
11-06-2010, 06:53 PM
If you don't already have them, either cargo bimini or swivel racks.

you da man
11-06-2010, 07:07 PM
If you don't already have them, either cargo bimini or swivel racks.

Agreed, Monster cargo rack is economical and functional. Z-5 cargo rack is very expensive (4x your $500), more functional, and better looking.

jester
11-07-2010, 12:59 AM
How about boat gas? It sounds like you have your boat where you want it. If you really want the gift that keeps giving you could go out and buy a new 2011 Moomba. That would be about +/- $500 a month.

A few little things would be like new dock/extra lines, new fenders, a new wakeboard rope/ an extra wakeboard rope (you never know when someone will run it over or you might let a friend use one for the day) an extra flag (I let a friend use one three years ago and I only see it when I am on her boat). How about tower mirror?

maxpower220
11-07-2010, 01:10 AM
Perfect Pass StarGazer/ZO.
Depth Finder
FAE
New Ropes and Vests for next season
Boat Buddy

jmvotto
11-07-2010, 09:32 AM
underwater LED's pretty cool.

:D

schuylski
11-07-2010, 12:52 PM
interior LEDs. On the nights where I'm trying to put the cover on and cell phone is low.... or i'm searching the back compartments for things, or just because they are cool, some LEDs would be great. I think that's my winter project.

underwater LED's seem pretty cool as well.

Razzman
11-07-2010, 12:55 PM
I agree with everything said with the exception of the Boat Buddy. Some like them but there are some pretty bad horror stories about them as well. Check the Supra site to check it out. I definately wouldn't waste money on something that may or may not work for you. Besides i don't consider that a "must have", now Stargazer is a different story, LED's are a cool factor.

TL7
11-07-2010, 01:24 PM
Tell me more about PP Stargazer. I currently have the newer version (2010) of the Moomba cruise. I thought going to PP was about a grand to do the upgrade - am I incorrect on this?

sandm
11-07-2010, 02:03 PM
don't know the upgrade path from moombacruize, but I soooo want to do stargazer.. that would be my $500..

jester
11-07-2010, 02:35 PM
I think PP star is just over $1000. I think it is just plug and play with the Moomba boats. i am not a big fan of the GPS version just because I do not trust GPS. Below is a link to the Perfect pass website on ordering. Lots of good information.

http://www.perfectpass.com/perfect_pass_ordering.html

you da man
11-07-2010, 02:39 PM
PP Stargazer $949

Mikey
11-07-2010, 07:38 PM
Probably by our standards your weather and water temps would be heavenly to us ,but maybe for you ,wetsuits or drysuits to help you get more water time in?

maxpower220
11-07-2010, 09:04 PM
... because I do not trust GPS.

Don't fly in any commercial aircraft then.

kaneboats
11-08-2010, 09:42 AM
New surfboard for sure.

brain_rinse
11-08-2010, 12:08 PM
Integrated bow sac

newty
11-08-2010, 08:40 PM
Liquor and Poker!:p

zabooda
11-08-2010, 09:55 PM
I would take the advice from some bare naked ladies:

I'd buy a K-Car - a nice Reliant automobile or,
I'd buy some art - a Picasso or a Garfunkel or,
I'd buy furniture for my house - maybe a nice chesterfield or an ottoman.

murraymoomba
11-08-2010, 10:14 PM
It would be a good start to a sky ski!!!

schuylski
11-08-2010, 11:25 PM
Yeah those things are ridiculous- I had no idea they were thousands of dollars. I'm not sure I'd want to spend that much money on something that looks like it's going to kill me! My brother got to try one out this summer... the thing started doing the bucking bronco, his eyes got real big... and booom.... the rest of us decided against trying it.

It looks like a lot of fun if you know what you're doing though-

Ian Brantford
11-09-2010, 09:03 AM
Yeah those things are ridiculous- I had no idea they were thousands of dollars.

Yes. Plus, it's a waste of money to get an entry-level model. Once you get past the beginner stage, you want a more capable one. When I got my XLV, a buddy bought a mid-range SkySki as his contribution. Fortunately, he did his research thoroughly and it's great for our needs. Mid-range model, shock absorber, CINCH bindings. I finally ponied up the dough (more than $500) for a rack so that we could get the big thing out of the boat's interior.

I'm not sure I'd want to spend that much money on something that looks like it's going to kill me!

Hence the unpopularity of hydrofoiling. Given that it's about 5% of the cost of the boat, yet DOUBLES the value of having the boat, I think that it's great. You can hydrofoil in water that's choppy enough to make you give up on wakeboarding.

My brother got to try one out this summer... the thing started doing the bucking bronco, his eyes got real big... and booom....

Was there any instruction? A beginner should start at 10-12 MPH and be taught to lean ALL the way forward ("Superman" pose) immediately after getting up. This keeps the board down on the water while a beginner learns left/right balance.

Do you know how a wakeboarding beginner has to be taught to let the feet get pushed to one's backside when starting... yet they instinctively push away anyway? "You are not doing what you think you are doing." Similarly, most hydrofoiling beginners have to be repeatedly told that they are barely leaning forward at all.

the rest of us decided against trying it.

That is unfortunate. With a good instructor, even the failures are low risk but hilarious. Wearing a helmet and neck roll is strongly recommended in case you accidentally get more height than expected.

It looks like a lot of fun if you know what you're doing though-
Yep.