PDA

View Full Version : Getting Colder... Freeze Prevention?

usaski1
11-06-2010, 01:23 PM
Okay, well its that time of year, we are going to have our first freeze any day now. They will be light freezes to start with, but they will get harder. My boat (08 outback) is on a lift all year, but I do have 110v near by. I'm wondering if anyone has oppinions on Boatsafe heaters? Or Extreme heaters? Or just magnetic $50 engine heaters? Im looking for alternatives to the lightbulb this year.

zabooda
11-07-2010, 01:02 AM
You are using electricity to power a heating device for freeze protection so I assume you evaluated these three questions before going any further.

1. How reliable is your power?
2. Do you have a means to know when the power goes out?
3. Do you have a back up power source if your power goes out.

usaski1
11-07-2010, 10:41 AM
Yeah, thought about it, not worried about it in this situation.

DOCDRS
11-07-2010, 11:17 AM
Why not just open the 2 block drain plugs?....then you have no worries about the block, it only takes a minute. You could even put ball valves on them to make it quicker.

Ian Brantford
11-07-2010, 12:16 PM
I have been thinking about going the route of AC-powered heater(s). If you have factory heater (that uses engine heat to keep you warm), it's got a heater core that needs protecting. On mine, it's up by the driver's feet, but it might be elsewhere on newer models. My marina didn't flush with antifreeze enough one autumn. The core froze and burst. They replaced it for me in the spring. I expect that it was not cheap.

Anyway, for relying on an AC heater against overnight hard freezes, I'd get TWO of them -- one for the engine compartment and one for the boat's interior, near the factory heater core. The second one won't be very effective unless the boat is covered.