PDA

View Full Version : Mobius LSV Questions

Indyxc
11-02-2010, 05:33 PM
Hey guys,

I'm buying my first home, a lake home here shortly, and will eventually be buying a boat!

I've narrowed the boats down to a 06+ Mobius LSV, and the original mastercraft xstars, and a mid 2000s malibu v-ride and maybe wakesetter (dont like to looks of Malibus). I am leaning towards the Mobius as it really is the best value, but if I will be using the boat a TON, I might spring for a bit more. Budget is 30k or under.

Anyway, I've done a lot of searching on this forum, and found lots of good info. I do have a couple questions.

If a Mobius LSV comes with gravity 1 ballast, does all the plumbing exist, or at least is it easy to add the additional rear bags? I'll be weighing it down with more I am sure.

The lake I am buying a home on is shallow in some spots. Maybe 4-5 feet between the two parts of a lake. I've seen large wakeboard boats sitting on docks, so I'm guessing they don't have issues. But during wakeboarding, on a plane, what is the draft of a Mobius LSV? I know it's 24 inches, no ballast, no on plane.

My first season, I might not have a boat lift. How does the lsv do sitting in the water for a season?

Now I know in 2006 the mobius hull was switched. I made a spreadsheet to compare hulls, and it looks like the Outback LSV is the same hulls as the Mobius LSV from 2006-2007. I wouldn't mind an Outback lsv if this is true, but you never see the LSV for sale, just the V. Why is this?

Thanks guys

Anyone else from Michigan out here?

maxpower220
11-02-2010, 05:42 PM
The draft on any inboard V-Drive will be about the same (within a few inches) of each other, so none of your boats listed will have an advantage there.

Changing from GI to GIII should be pretty easy. You may find it to be cheaper to go with some different (and larger ) bags.

A few people leave their boats in the water for long periods. As with all fiberglass boats, there is a chance for blistering. Proper care before putting in the water will help limits that.

cab13367
11-02-2010, 08:26 PM
Welcome to the forum. Some answers to your questions:

Gravity I comes with only what is required for the front bag. To convert to Gravity III, you will need a new switch plate with additional switches, new wiring harness, two sprinkler valves, new manifold for the additional valves, two drain pumps, two thru hulls, two fat sacs, and a bunch of 3/4" hose and fittings.

The draft on plane should be less than the draft at rest (everything else being equal) since the boat is planing on top of the water.

Can't help you on how the Moomba does sitting in the water year round as I trailer my boat.

The Outback LSV is the same hull as the Mobius LSV - it just does not have the tower. You don't see many Outback LSV's because most people that opt for the V-drive also want the tower.

Hope that helps.

Al

Indyxc
11-03-2010, 12:55 PM
Thanks for the input guys.

I guess, I am going to look for an LSV with Gravity III ballast as I don't want to run all the lines and fittings. I have no problem doing it, but rather keep the factory setup as far as plumbing, and then just upgrade the bags and the pumps.

Draft on plane makes sense that it will be less than when not on plane. Figured I'd ask. I'll just have to not wake surf in shallow water.

Also, final question, how easy is it to get financing on boats? I have good credit, and will be putting 10k down (at least) when time comes to buy a boat. Is it fairly easy to get financed on these?

Thanks

MartinCaron
11-03-2010, 01:39 PM
my LSV sits on water all summer long. Just make sure your bilge pump is clean and in good shape.

Financing is realy easy but i would not put 10k down on a 30k boat. I would personnaly put 5k and finance 25k for 10 to 15 years and keep the other 5k for all the extra equipement and expenses.

cab13367
11-03-2010, 01:47 PM
Thanks for the input guys.

I guess, I am going to look for an LSV with Gravity III ballast as I don't want to run all the lines and fittings. I have no problem doing it, but rather keep the factory setup as far as plumbing, and then just upgrade the bags and the pumps.

Draft on plane makes sense that it will be less than when not on plane. Figured I'd ask. I'll just have to not wake surf in shallow water.

Also, final question, how easy is it to get financing on boats? I have good credit, and will be putting 10k down (at least) when time comes to buy a boat. Is it fairly easy to get financed on these?

Thanks

If you search "ballast upgrade" you will see that many of us have upgraded our ballast systems as the factory system is very slow to fill. The advantage of the GIII system is that at least all the electrical will be already in place so even if you decide to upgrad your ballast system, you won't need to upgrade the electrical other than change out a couple fuses.

You don't want to wakesurf in real shallow water anyway (about 5' or less) as you won't get much of a wave.

you da man
11-03-2010, 01:59 PM
my LSV sits on water all summer long. Just make sure your bilge pump is clean and in good shape.

Financing is realy easy but i would not put 10k down on a 30k boat. I would personnaly put 5k and finance 25k for 10 to 15 years and keep the other 5k for all the extra equipement and expenses.

I'm sorry but financing a boat for 10-15 years is for suckers. Put what you can down, get the lowest financing possible and pay off as soon as possible. If the only way you can afford a boat is to finance out 12-15 years you need to reconsider the boat because other boat expenses will come up. I'm not saying the original poster of this is in this situation, I'm just saying people in general. I have mine at 6.25% but automatic payment dropped it to 6%

MartinCaron
11-03-2010, 02:19 PM
Putting everything he can down and finance the rest on the shortest term possible is (In my opinion) the best way for a "new to boating" owner to have hard times with the extra expenses.

you da man
11-03-2010, 03:50 PM
Putting everything he can down and finance the rest on the shortest term possible is (In my opinion) the best way for a "new to boating" owner to have hard times with the extra expenses.

I just can't see putting 10-15% down, finance for 10-15 years and being upside down the entire time. If you find hard times, how do you get out from under the boat or if you decide to trade in or sell, you have to come with thousands to break even.

MartinCaron
11-03-2010, 04:01 PM
With a 5k cash down on a used 30k boat you should be able to sell under the market price after a year and a half of ownership even with an interest rate of 8% for 13 years.

you da man
11-03-2010, 04:02 PM
Financing is not difficult for a boat with good credit. In my experience credit unions have always been the lowest rate. Also, boat insurance varies. I pay $425 per year but my rate is a little more because mine is not stored at my residence although it is stored indoors in a climate controlled unit. A boat will show more age if stored in the water for extended periods. Being in the water or stored on a slip will expose the boat to more moisture, humidity, and condensation. All this will add to the aging of the carpet, electrical, vinyl, etc.

schuylski
11-03-2010, 10:49 PM
Financing was extremely easy with good credit. One weird aspect - I got a lower rate for a longer term, but no penalties for paying off early. So even though I want to pay off ASAP, it didn't make sense to get financed for less than 8 years because the interest rate was almost 4% higher.... I guess the bank is trying to entice you to pay off later so they make more $ in interest??

Also agree that you want to keep some money lying around in case of extra expenses... if you don't currently have any equipment it can add up, along with all the extra "must haves" you find along the way. Not to mention the gas money... phew... "My boat runs on gas not thanks!!!!!"

I trailer the boat so can't help there.

And 4-5 feet sounds ok as long as the bottom is nice and there aren't stumps or rocks sticking up. Just be careful and get to know the water first. And no submarin-ing... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68AOltMu768

Indyxc
11-06-2010, 05:38 PM
Thanks for the info guys.

I will most likely finance the boat down with 10k, for 10 years, and pay off early. I'm not fan of getting into debt. Just bought a house on the water and even with 21% down, it still is too much debt for me.

The lake I will be living on, has 2 main parts, and those each are 50 feet deep or though, except between them, is about 5 feet deep passage. I've been on the lake. I'll just make sure not to wake surf through there, or start out.

One thing I really like about the mobius LSV, is how all the ballast can be hidden. Looking around I also really am startin to like the Mobius LSV's cousin the Supra Launch 21v. Some used ones are selling for 30-35k now for 05-06s. I like that the 06 can program able perfect pass/ wakeplate for individual riders. That is very close in price to the mobius Lsv. But on the supra I do NOT like the tall freeboard like most do. I will be on a small lake that will never see waves more than 2 feet. The large freeboard make the boat look ackward to me.

What do you guys think of the 21v compared to the mobius LSV for about the same price?