PDA

View Full Version : Garage Help/Measurment Needed

JesseC
11-02-2010, 02:06 PM
What is the smallest garage opening that you have gotten your moomba through. I have a delima and I do not think my garage door is wide enough. My old house had 106" doorways that the boat would get loaded through. I am not sure what the new house is, but I think it is only about 8' wide. Could a few of you take measurements of your garages width that you have loaded a moomba through and possibly the widest point of your boat/trailer. I would greatly appreciate it! Please include the year model of your boat as well.

Thanks,
Jesse

eseebeck
11-02-2010, 02:16 PM
8' door is pretty narrow. a common size is 9' wide and 7' tall for a single car garage.

my '08 outback just fits through a 9' door. I don't think you'll get in an 8' .

good luck

JesseC
11-02-2010, 03:34 PM
That is my fear as well, but the older models like my 02 are a little narrower and I am hoping that it will squeak in. It seems like the narrowest part of my door is right at 97".

moombadaze
11-02-2010, 04:04 PM
Jesse, wont your guide post be the widest point? I remember mine on the 03 trailer being welded in and sticking out out further than the trailer that was even wider that the boat width.

Did that make any sense?

JesseC
11-02-2010, 04:09 PM
Yes, that makes perfect sense. I removed the black PVC slides off of the guide posts and measured from the top outer edge of one to the top outer edge of the other. I wrote it down and went home to measure the garage. The only problem is that I wrote it down on a piece of paper that I left on the boat and hour away. So a measurement from the outer edge of the guide posts with the PVC cover removed would be ideal to what I am looking for. It may be helpful to others to see the measurements on the trailers from all of the different years/models.

cab13367
11-02-2010, 04:14 PM
Yes, that makes perfect sense. I removed the black PVC slides off of the guide posts and measured from the top outer edge of one to the top outer edge of the other. I wrote it down and went home to measure the garage. The only problem is that I wrote it down on a piece of paper that I left on the boat and hour away. So a measurement from the outer edge of the guide posts with the PVC cover removed would be ideal to what I am looking for. It may be helpful to others to see the measurements on the trailers from all of the different years/models.

Jesse,

Doesn't the guide poles come off on your trailer? It does on mine and if I remember correctly, you only put your boat in the garage for winter storage so if you could take the guide posts off, that will buy you a few inches.

Al

JesseC
11-02-2010, 04:21 PM
Here is a pic of it loaded in the old house. Only the covers are removeable. The posts are welded to the trailer.

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q21/StarkRaven/boatgarage.jpg

cab13367
11-02-2010, 04:28 PM
Okay. Mine has a sleeve in the trailer that the posts slide into, then there is a set screw that holds it in place. Guess that was a change made somewhere along the way.

JesseC
11-02-2010, 04:30 PM
I am hoping that my older model with the smaller beam is also sitting on a smaller trailer than the newer ones. I know that the '06 is stated to have a 102" max width according to the archives, but there is no mention of the widths with trailer on the older ones.

sandm
11-02-2010, 04:41 PM
Fwiw, my 06 just fits thru my 107inch door with just a few to spare.
It's on a single axle...

If u do need removable guideposts, just cut them off, get a smaller tube that just fits inside, bolt on lower, then bolt on piece you cut off. Voila-removable posts...

moombadaze
11-03-2010, 07:31 AM
Guide post's sure make it eaiser to load but you dont have to have them.

JesseC
11-03-2010, 07:45 PM
Jesse,

Doesn't the guide poles come off on your trailer? It does on mine and if I remember correctly, you only put your boat in the garage for winter storage so if you could take the guide posts off, that will buy you a few inches.

Al

Cab, could you take a few pics of how your guide posts are removeable? I think this may be my only option. I will have to cut them off and figure a way to make them removable with a few bolts or something like that.

cab13367
11-04-2010, 12:01 AM
Cab, could you take a few pics of how your guide posts are removeable? I think this may be my only option. I will have to cut them off and figure a way to make them removable with a few bolts or something like that.

Here you go.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg276/cab13367/IMG_0815.jpg

This is a sleeve that is welded to the underside of the step. The guide pole is inside the sleeve.
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg276/cab13367/IMG_0819.jpg
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg276/cab13367/IMG_0817.jpg

JesseC
11-04-2010, 09:33 AM
[QUOTE=cab13367;117781]Here you go.
QUOTE]

Thank you so much!!!! I really appreciate all the help. I called my contractor today!!

cab13367
11-04-2010, 09:43 AM
[QUOTE=cab13367;117781]Here you go.
QUOTE]

Thank you so much!!!! I really appreciate all the help. I called my contractor today!!

You're welcome. So what's the verdict on the trailer fitting in the new garage?

JesseC
11-04-2010, 10:13 AM
Contractor will be coming out to correct all of the issues with the garage. The load bearing studs will be removed and replaced with a beam and any other restrictions will be modified while he is there. I am going to go get the boat either tonight or tomorrow and bring it home so they can take measurements as needed to modify the house!!!

moombadaze
11-04-2010, 08:13 PM
modify the house!!!

Thats hardcore and I like it.

mcdye
11-05-2010, 07:57 AM
I did not have the option to modify mine, thought I was going to have to build new house. :) But came up with a system that works to get a LSV in/out a 7 ft garage.