PDA

View Full Version : Prop Removal

squeeg333
10-29-2010, 09:34 PM
Hey guys, I did some searching on here, and tried some of the techniques, but I'm having a hell of a time getting my prop off. I wanted to remove it prior to storing, just so I know it comes off, not for any repair reasons.

I'm using an OJ prop puller. I snugged it up, and hit it with a ball peen hammer. I tried to tighten it as much as I could. Nothing would work. I see that the key is sitting on top of about two of the threads on the end of the prop shaft (almost flush with the back of the prop), as if it weren't installed correctly. I don't know if this would prevent it from coming off, but it seems really odd to be that far out of the keyway (I would expect to hardly be able to see the key when the prop is on).

Any words of wisdom? I could really use some!

Ian Brantford
10-29-2010, 11:37 PM
That prop puller can break at the tip! Just set it to a moderate tightness and get a plastic mallet (or something to cushion the blow against deformations). Tap all along the sides of the props' cylinder wall and the top edge. It should eventually pop.

DOCDRS
10-30-2010, 12:33 AM
use a propane torch and heat the shaft on the propeller , it will expand and POP off the shaft.....

squeeg333
10-30-2010, 02:41 PM
The use of heat concerns me a little though. The prop is perfectly fine, I just wanted to remove it, to make sure it does in fact come off in the event that I HAVE to pull it off (knock on wood). I just worry that with heat, even minor amounts of it, could deform the prop and throw it out of balance.

I've cranked the prop puller way down, and have tapped/beat the puller with a ball peen and a rubber mallet. I left pressure on the puller, and will go back out in a few hours to try. I suppose maybe penetrating oil might help...

dru1974
10-30-2010, 07:31 PM
I haveto say and no offense but obviously your not all that mechanically inclined so I would leave it to the pro's. That's what I do I mean if u bang your prop up I don't think you'll be crawling under water to change it anyhow.

dru1974
10-30-2010, 07:32 PM
Again. I am not Bustin your balls but heTing the brass to expand it a bit is a common practice

DOCDRS
10-30-2010, 09:06 PM
My prop was put on, on a hot day with a normal amount of pressure, it had to be removed a few weeks later on a cool day and would not budge till heat was applied to the strut side of the propeller (tapered shaft). It will always be harder to remove a prop on a colder day. Heating the prop to 120F is not going to affect its balance. The mechanics/professionals do it all the time

cab13367
10-31-2010, 12:45 PM
Hey guys, I did some searching on here, and tried some of the techniques, but I'm having a hell of a time getting my prop off. I wanted to remove it prior to storing, just so I know it comes off, not for any repair reasons.

I'm using an OJ prop puller. I snugged it up, and hit it with a ball peen hammer. I tried to tighten it as much as I could. Nothing would work. I see that the key is sitting on top of about two of the threads on the end of the prop shaft (almost flush with the back of the prop), as if it weren't installed correctly. I don't know if this would prevent it from coming off, but it seems really odd to be that far out of the keyway (I would expect to hardly be able to see the key when the prop is on).

Any words of wisdom? I could really use some!

Squeeg,

When I had this problem, I cranked down on the prop pupper then got behind the prop, i.e, on the side of the prop closest to the tracking fins, placed a block of wood on the prop puller, then hit the block of wood with a mini-sledgehammer in the direction that you want the prop to go, i.e., towards the back of the boat. It popped right off after 2 or 3 firm blows.

Good luck.

Al

dru1974
10-31-2010, 03:58 PM
Hop I didn't offend ya squeeg. Good luck

squeeg333
11-01-2010, 12:25 PM
Dru, no offence taken. I think of myself very mechanically inclined, but I don't wield a propane torch often (or ever), so, just a little hesitant. I realize that it'll take a LOT of heat to deform the prop to the point of putting it out of balance, but still. I also couldn't see buying a 50 dollar propane torch for about 5 minutes of use - and none of my buddies I called that day had one I could borrow.

The boat is in storage now, so it'll have to wait till spring. It was a fairly cold day, so not an ideal time to be trying it without additional heat. My last effort didn't do any good, but I left the puller with a lot of pressure on it for the entire day, thinking that I could benefit from any temperature differential. Nothing. I beat the back of the puller senseless, so, really the only option now is heat.

I attached a few photos of what the key looks like looking from the stern of the boat. You can see the key sitting on top of the last of the threads - this certainly isn't what a key was meant to do! I'm thinking once I do finally get the prop off, I'll be getting a new key!

cab13367
11-01-2010, 01:14 PM
Dru, no offence taken. I think of myself very mechanically inclined, but I don't wield a propane torch often (or ever), so, just a little hesitant. I realize that it'll take a LOT of heat to deform the prop to the point of putting it out of balance, but still. I also couldn't see buying a 50 dollar propane torch for about 5 minutes of use - and none of my buddies I called that day had one I could borrow.

The boat is in storage now, so it'll have to wait till spring. It was a fairly cold day, so not an ideal time to be trying it without additional heat. My last effort didn't do any good, but I left the puller with a lot of pressure on it for the entire day, thinking that I could benefit from any temperature differential. Nothing. I beat the back of the puller senseless, so, really the only option now is heat.

I attached a few photos of what the key looks like looking from the stern of the boat. You can see the key sitting on top of the last of the threads - this certainly isn't what a key was meant to do! I'm thinking once I do finally get the prop off, I'll be getting a new key!

Looks like the key is seized onto the prop's keyway. Did you try to drive the key back into the keyway by using a punch or screwdriver and hitting it with a hammer?

brain_rinse
11-01-2010, 01:19 PM
Looks like the key is seized onto the prop's keyway. Did you try to drive the key back into the keyway by using a punch or screwdriver and hitting it with a hammer?
Yeah I agree that key is definitely what's making it difficult for you. I second Al's idea of pounding the key back in with a punch.

dru1974
11-01-2010, 02:06 PM
yup going to have to use a punch and drive that key down. thats probably what is giving u the grief and definetly putting extra force on theprop>>>>>>good luck in the spring, just dont get to rammy.

squeeg333
11-01-2010, 02:31 PM
My thoughts exactly. Once I got the nylock off, I pretty much knew I was in for it. But since I was down there, thought I'd give it a go. I didn't have a punch, so I didn't get too into trying the drive the key back. I did try use a screwdriver, but I wasn't able to get a real good angle, and didn't get too aggro with it.

I figure I just need a drift punch and should be able to drive it back. At least, hopefully. Some heat, a punch, and a hammer, and I think I'll be able to get it licked.

DOCDRS
11-01-2010, 05:21 PM
hope your shaft isn't bent .......I believe this is what happened to mine. although the key was jammed up against the strut. never could get the motor aligned and I never experienced any vibration issues either......with yours it just may throw out the prop tho

squeeg333
11-02-2010, 03:16 PM
I sure hope it's not either Doc!!

I haven't ever noticed any vibrations, and nothing out of the ordinary at least. So, yeh, I hope it's not bent!

I personally don't think it is, my alignment appears to be good (though I'll check it again once I do get the prop off). I just really hope that I don't mar up the threads if I can get that key to move back, or, if I do mar them up, that they won't get used. Time will tell!