PDA

View Full Version : Only draining the water from block to winterize

dru1974
10-28-2010, 07:21 PM
So I never had time to winterized my boat and took it to the local guy that does most of the boats around here... I asked him if he puts antifreeze in the block and he didn't just drains it? How is it possible. Never heard of this I said and his retort was.."I have been doing this for 35 years". Does this sound rite?

dru1974
10-28-2010, 07:23 PM
Oh and they changed the oil fogged the engine and added stabile to the fuel.

Razzman
10-28-2010, 07:44 PM
That's how i've been doing for years as well and as most do too. Think about it, if there's no water to freeze then why anti-freeze? It's not a closed cooling system so the anti-freeze is going to puddle in the low spots only leaving the rest just as if drained. If it's not a closed system the water/anti-freeze won't stay put, it'll just run to all the openings and run to the next low spot. So the heads, upper block and exhaust manifolds won't have much if anything there anyway. Anti-freeze is to keep water from freezing but won't do squat for metal. You really want to protect that then get a block heater.

cab13367
10-28-2010, 08:09 PM
So I never had time to winterized my boat and took it to the local guy that does most of the boats around here... I asked him if he puts antifreeze in the block and he didn't just drains it? How is it possible. Never heard of this I said and his retort was.."I have been doing this for 35 years". Does this sound rite?

What Razzman said :)

Oh and they changed the oil fogged the engine and added stabile to the fuel.

Wow. Do it yourself next year and buy yourself a new wakeboard with the money you save.

dru1974
10-28-2010, 08:28 PM
I read the malibu monsoon winterizing thread and I looked and it doesn't look like they drained the water pump. But I know if ther is no water no ice just hope they got it all out.

DOCDRS
10-28-2010, 08:42 PM
pull the j tube off the circ pump.....there is water in it, hope they pulled the hoses off the impeller pump as well, i'll fill my block w a freeze but then i drain it after as well......just because i have the time and maybe as i'm a little anal....ok alot :)

zabooda
10-29-2010, 02:51 AM
I second what Razz has said along with blowing out the heater and shower. You leave a 10% void everywhere and you will be fine.

sandm
10-29-2010, 06:25 AM
^same concept as blowing out sprinklers. you don't/can't get every last bit of water out of them. all you want are voids everywhere so that the little bit of water that is left has room to expand as it freezes.
and as mentioned, make sure they do the heater and shower. heater lines would be a real pita to replace..

dru1974
10-29-2010, 08:59 AM
No Shower that may be a project do this winter but ya I got them to winterize the shower. Pretty pricey for no antifreeze but oh well. I appreciate all th input guys

NCSUmoomba
10-29-2010, 12:41 PM
I am really baffled about threads like this. First, did any of you read the owners manuals? There is no mention of sucking antifreeze into the engine in it. It says to drain the engine and disconnect some hoses. These are instructions straight from THE FOLKS THAT BUILT THE ENGINE! I think they would know how to maintain it. Also, as simple as it is to winterize one of these boat, I can't believe ANYONE pays someone else to do it. Sorry to act like a a%*hole, but it seems like over and over people are asking questions on here that would be answered if they read their owners manuals.

DOCDRS
10-29-2010, 04:04 PM
There is a reason as to why they put drain plugs on these blocks and quick disconnects on the exhaust mani's :)