10-28-2010, 07:09 PM
Hey
Finally narrowed it down
2011 Small Silverado basically just a steering wheel. 21900
or
Nissan Frontier 2010 leftover 22000
Loaded truck

Chevy or Nissan?

Do you think the Silverado 6 cyl is horrible on gas ?

Any help appreciated, I'm buying Saturday.
Thanks.

DOCDRS
10-28-2010, 07:17 PM
are you pwi? vehilcle????? :)

kaneboats
10-28-2010, 09:07 PM
I know historically the Frontier was a little tough on gas. Not sure what motor is in there now though. What are you towing again?

you da man
10-28-2010, 09:46 PM
What are you towing again?

And I hope it isn't very far and I hope you do not live in an area with hills. I call BS on the Chevy with 9,100lb towing capacity and hope that tranny survives. I guess I would choose the Nissan. Fullsize Chevy with V6...kinda lame especially when towing. Is this going to be a daily driver as well? What kind of cab for the Nissan? Regular, extended, or crew?

Ian Brantford
10-28-2010, 11:11 PM
A test drive while towing your boat (including at least one decent uphill) would be best.

Can either vehicle take regular gas while not towing?

All else being equal, I'd take the Nissan over the GM. You can expect them to have a similar useful lifetime, but with the Nissan needing less service until it's 6-8 years old. Here, I am of course extrapolating from the previous decade's truck/SUV products.

I recommend searching on user forums for these trucks to see what real-world mileage people are getting with them. It may be harder with the GM, since there are so many configurations.

DOCDRS
10-29-2010, 12:55 AM
What are you towing again?

that was a joke right? cause otherwise I'd say an 04 LSV.......but the real test is towing it up a hill after the truck has 150k on it.....if we could only see into the future......buy the one ya like more, or the one that looks better with your boat behind it... but 8900 lb towing with a 4.3 litre......who are they kidding mind you the frontier has a 4.0 litre engine with a 6500 lb towing cap........a little more realistic.....but still underpowered if your doing alot of towing....but just my opinion.....

sandm
10-29-2010, 06:28 AM
I would walk away from both if you are towing an lsv unless you live 5 minutes from the ramp and it's a flat drive. neither one are going to really tow that boat well...

I would have to ask how long you plan on keeping the rig as well. resale is going to be MUCH MUCH better on the nissan than a full-size chevy with a v6. that chevy would sit for a year on a lot here.

MartinCaron
10-29-2010, 09:12 AM
GO 8 or GO home

you da man
10-29-2010, 11:18 AM
GO 8 or GO home

I would say go diesel or go home but at least an 8. Love my 2007 Dodge mega cab diesel but I'm practical as well. I commute 76 miles round trip to work, fortunately I work a 4 day work week and my work vehicle is a Saturn I got at auction for $2,000 and it gets 39-41mpg

Ian Brantford
10-29-2010, 11:25 AM
Before we have to rehash the entire thing, please take note that this thread is a follow-up to an earlier one: https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=12979

I agree about the issue with the resale value. If you want to get a basic Silverado, get one that is a couple of years old and severely depreciated.

viking
10-29-2010, 11:26 AM
I would say go diesel or go home but at least an 8.

I'd say that too............if money were not an issue. Even a year or 2 used Duramax, Cummings, or Powerstroke will run more than what you are looking to spend now. But You get a whole lot more imo.

My daily driver is a 07 Sierra 2500HD Duramax. Lovit and will never go gas again on tow vehicle for what it's worth.

LSV04
10-29-2010, 11:33 AM
I only need to pull boat out of low incline ramp, tow it 300 yards to my driveway, maybe 2 miles to Marina , that's it.

I guess I'm trying to get by with as little truck as possible. But like look of a big truck . Chevy looks better. Has that classic pickup look.

Yes, daily commuter. Dealer also has a 4 cyl.2010 Frontier -should I forget the 4 cyl.?

I keep hearing on a truck this size, that you'll use less gas with a 6 or 8 cyl. Than with a 4 or 5cyl.
Local Marina owner said he pulls boats out with this Chevy and only uses 4 wd when its raining to do it.

I'm leaning with the Silverado , regular cab 6 cyl. I plan on keeping it.

Thanks again, This site is awesome, because I can't get a straight answer from the dealer, they say yes to all your needs . No offense, I know there are plenty honest car salesman but I ran into a couple bad ones.

you da man
10-29-2010, 11:38 AM
I only need to pull boat out of low incline ramp, tow it 300 yards to my driveway, maybe 2 miles to Marina , that's it.

I guess I'm trying to get by with as little truck as possible. But like look of a big truck . Chevy looks better. Has that classic pickup look.

Yes, daily commuter. Dealer also has a 4 cyl.2010 Frontier -should I forget the 4 cyl.?

I keep hearing on a truck this size, that you'll use less gas with a 6 or 8 cyl. Than with a 4 or 5cyl.
Local Marina owner said he pulls boats out with this Chevy and only uses 4 wd when its raining to do it.

Thanks again, This site is awesome, because I can't get a straight answer from the dealer, they say yes to all your needs . No offense, I know there are plenty honest car salesman but I ran into a couple bad ones.

Do you have a family? Reason I ask, is the rest of your crew or family gonna have to ride in a separate car? I wouldn't even consider a 4 cyl truck...that thing will spin tires on a wet ramp.

sandm
10-29-2010, 12:13 PM
ya, my buddy has an s-10 and can't pull his 1500lb bayliner up the ramp without losing traction a couple of times.. 4cyl ftl when towing most anything :)

lsv04-every person's needs are different and you will get varying degrees of answers here, just like a car salesman. we all bought different rigs for different reasons and so will you.
a car salesman's job is to sell you what they have on the lot. they are going to tell you most anything to make that happen. figure out what you want before and let them guide you into the right price, not the right rig.. there are some excellent opinions on here and use that info to help your decision..

-diesels tow tons. if you don't need it, then you don't, but in a fullsize, anything less than a v8 is crazy(ex inlaws get 21mpg in their 2010 tahoe, so good gas mileage is possible in a lg truck). Ed tows his outback v with his ford ranger with the 4.0liter, so v6 will tow, just not far and def. not up hills. think about your longest trip you will ever take and buy for that.
-ex/crew cabs are nice for hauling family/crew. only you can make that decision if you want one or not.
-I started with a ford ranger and the v6. it towed the boat fine a mile from the dealer. after I bought the boat, first time up the hill to the marina, I knew I was selling it for a v8(4mile hill at 25mph and realizing I'd be replacing clutches every year). bought my full size/v8 2 weeks later and never looked back.

good luck.

you da man
10-29-2010, 12:37 PM
ya, my buddy has an s-10 and can't pull his 1500lb bayliner up the ramp without losing traction a couple of times.. 4cyl ftl when towing most anything :)

lsv04-every person's needs are different and you will get varying degrees of answers here, just like a car salesman. we all bought different rigs for different reasons and so will you.
a car salesman's job is to sell you what they have on the lot. they are going to tell you most anything to make that happen. figure out what you want before and let them guide you into the right price, not the right rig.. there are some excellent opinions on here and use that info to help your decision..

-diesels tow tons. if you don't need it, then you don't, but in a fullsize, anything less than a v8 is crazy(ex inlaws get 21mpg in their 2010 tahoe, so good gas mileage is possible in a lg truck). Ed tows his outback v with his ford ranger with the 4.0liter, so v6 will tow, just not far and def. not up hills. think about your longest trip you will ever take and buy for that.
-ex/crew cabs are nice for hauling family/crew. only you can make that decision if you want one or not.
-I started with a ford ranger and the v6. it towed the boat fine a mile from the dealer. after I bought the boat, first time up the hill to the marina, I knew I was selling it for a v8(4mile hill at 25mph and realizing I'd be replacing clutches every year). bought my full size/v8 2 weeks later and never looked back.

good luck.

Good points. A couple of us are diehard diesel fans. Buy what you need and can afford obviously. I already had my diesel when I was racing sportbikes throughout Texas and surronding states so pulling a large enclosed trailer with a gas truck was out of the question. I'm also the type of person that I keep my trucks for 9-10 years. My first two were import trucks which can easily go to 300,000 miles...Fords, Chevy, GMC, or Dodge gas trucks won't without major repairs or rebuilds. That's why I got the diesel. It will last a long time and suit my needs of towing occassionally 70 miles one way to my buddy's lakehouse and the dealer. I do like the ability to pass other cars going uphill on highways/interstates while towing though :p.

thesack
10-29-2010, 01:02 PM
I do like the ability to pass other cars going uphill on highways/interstates while towing though :p.

You don't need a diesel to do that. I can do that in my F150 with a V8 and in the F350 with a V10. :D

Personally I would go with which ever has the larger cab. It always nice to have more room in the cab for you, your things, or other people.

you da man
10-29-2010, 01:19 PM
You don't need a diesel to do that. I can do that in my F150 with a V8 and in the F350 with a V10. :D.

V10...never understood the concept of a V10 gas over a diesel in Ford or Dodge. Only pro the V10 has is initial cost for the truck. Cons are plentiful though...less fuel efficiency, not as much torque at low rpm's, hardly any reserve torque for long uphill heavy pulls, needs tune ups, and can't stand up to longevity under severe conditions. I guess cheaper fuel cost vs diesel but with less fuel economy I guess the diesel will equal out. Oil changes are cheaper will gas motors but at 2-3 times the interval so that definately equals out.

sandm
10-29-2010, 02:46 PM
there are def. pro's to getting a diesel, and I wish I would have researched the differences better, however the op does not seem to show a need for a diesel. I think we all need to do him a service tho and talk him out of a full size with a v6 :)

don't understand the v10 in a truck either(other than the dodge ram with the viper v10). I have 2 guys I know that have the ford version, both tow heavy trailers with them, and both really like them-at 6mpg.. to each his own...

thesack
10-29-2010, 03:10 PM
The v10 from Ford was changed slightly in 06 or 07 and the fuel economy increased. We get 11 from ours which is an 08. Which is almost the same as the 6.4 diesel. We only pay 500 over invoice of fords so it's really hard to justify switching brands.

For a daily commute truck I don't see anything wrong with the V6. If he was buying it strictly as a tow vehicles then the v8 would make more sense.

Depending on time frame, if I was looking for truck as a daily driver and was considering the v6, I would wait til ford comes out with the new v6 with ecoboost in the f150. It's suppose to be out early this next year and is currently in the tarus sho.

you da man
10-29-2010, 04:01 PM
The v10 from Ford was changed slightly in 06 or 07 and the fuel economy increased. We get 11 from ours which is an 08. Which is almost the same as the 6.4 diesel. We only pay 500 over invoice of fords so it's really hard to justify switching brands.

For a daily commute truck I don't see anything wrong with the V6. If he was buying it strictly as a tow vehicles then the v8 would make more sense.

Depending on time frame, if I was looking for truck as a daily driver and was considering the v6, I would wait til ford comes out with the new v6 with ecoboost in the f150. It's suppose to be out early this next year and is currently in the tarus sho.

So what keeps you wanting a V10 at 11mpg without towing vs a Ford diesel at 16-18mpg with a good programmer (personally I get 19-21mpg in my 5.9L Cummins).

thesack
10-29-2010, 04:19 PM
We get 11 mpg while towing and 13 when not towing. We originally had the diesel engines that Ford offered starting in 92. We actually had decent MPG then, but with every new truck we got with the diesel the mpg dropped. 92 with the 7.2L was 20mpg, 98 with the 7.3 was 18mpg, 03 with the 6.0 was 17mpg, 06 with the 6.0 was 15 mpg (this was with a programmer was 14 before). With talking to people who owned the 6.4 and the dealership saying that the MPG was 12-13 without towing and some people saying they were getting 8mpg while towing, it made it extremely hard to justify the cost of the diesel. Yes we get new trucks alot, usually when they get between 125-150K miles on them. Which is about 3-4 years.

When we get a new truck again (probably next summer) we will go back to diesel, because the new Ford is getting 20-22mpg for non towing.

sandm
10-29-2010, 07:54 PM
T

don't know how much different your market is in oregon vs. here, but v6 + full size = dust magnet on a carlot. a goodly portion of the dealerships here would have to custom order a v6 as they just don't sell. granted, the op stated they would keep the truck for a while, but the small savings on the sticker would be eaten up with resale.

fuel economy numbers released show the following for 2011 model year for ford, but chevy/dodge are similar(chevy 5.3 actually gets better than the 4.3v6):
3.7l v6 = 16/23 6000lbs towing(really??)
5.0l v8 = 15/21 10000 lbs towing
6.2l v8 = 12/17 11300 lbs towing

why would you even look at the 3.7 other than I would suspect that they are probably discounted higher when on the lot when there is minimal difference in the 5.0 numbers? $125 difference in a year at 10k miles all city...

no figures for the ecoboost v6, but I would bet that it carries a pricetag either same or higher than the v8 initially and mileage won't be that much better..

Moseley618
10-29-2010, 09:02 PM
I just did a quick search on auto trader and I would try and find a nice used full size truck. You can get a nice used truck with more options and very few miles for equal or less than what you are looking at now. I would lean more toward a 4x4 because when you need it you really need it. I bought a 1999 ext cab chevy with the 5.3 2wd and it has ok power but a v6 would suck. I recently pulled my boat back from the lake and it just started to rain. I have to go up some big hills to get my boat out of the marina area. I was going 50mph and the tires broke loose and slid sideways a little. I really wanted 4wd then. I did not think I would make it up the hill by the time I reached the top I was going 15mph down from 50mph. Sucked big time!

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/searchresults.jsp?lastBeginningStartYear=1981&num_records=25&search_lang=en&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&search_type=both&distance=200&address=65714&marketZipError=false&body_style=TRUCKS&make=CHEV&model=CHEV150&make2=FORD&model2=F150PICKUP&make3=DODGE&model3=RAM1504WD&start_year=2008&end_year=2011&min_price=18000&max_price=24000&seller_type=b&transmission=&engine=8+Cylinder&drive=&doors=&fuel=&max_mileage=30000&color=&keywordsrep=&keywordsfyc=&keywords_display=&sort_type=priceASC&body_code=32&certified=&advanced=y&highlightFirstMakeModel=&showZipError=n&default_sort=priceASC&awsp=false&systime=&scarid=285249042&rdm=1288399998005

thesack
10-29-2010, 09:24 PM
I never said I would look at the 3.7, I said I would look at the V6 with the Ecoboost. The 3.7 is crappy. The 3.5 with Ecoboost is capable of towing 11300. The fuel economy numbers I have not seen yet but if you look at the Taurus Sho is saying it is 17/25.

If you look at the cost between the V6 and V8 for Chevy is 1745. If you look up the value difference of an 05 1500 base model with the V8 and the V6, the V6 is 1100 less in price. So the cost of the V8 at 1745 minus the value loss of 1100 gives you a profit of 645. Resale really isn't affected that much.

I have no idea if the V6's are discounted more or not, I would suspect that they are not. For me the discounted pricing on the vehicle doesn't matter. I pay 500 over invoice then subtract rebates on any new vehicle I purchase from my dealership.

I have not looked on the lots recently here at F150's so I do not know what the percentage of V6 vs V8's are there, but in 09 when I got my truck the dealerships all had at least 1 truck with the V6 in it.

When i said that i see nothing wrong with a V6 I didn't know that Chevys only got 15/18. For a Chevy yeah I would go with the V8, Ford I would wait and look at the Ecoboost V6.

Mikey
10-29-2010, 09:47 PM
Here in Calgary Alberta ,we consider this the land of Trucks as the average household usually has one truck/Suv outta average two vehicle family.
As mentioned above V6 in a full size would usually be special order only as resale would be poor and average mileage would suck.
Something else about trucks here is it would be hard to find a non4x4 truck. Our weather conditions seldom truely justify it ,but it is definetely a plus for deep snow and for those moments at truck ramps etc,which makes it an easy sell here.
I believe it may even be a bit of status symbol as well to see and or drive in a Badass 4x4 with or without diesel.
We have an image here of living in the wild west where ,wearing cowboy boots almost anytime is acceptable as is driving a 4x4 truck yet this is one of the more high tech city's in all the land.Bigger is better just like in Texas.

skiyaker
10-29-2010, 09:51 PM

I tow my 08 OBV which I think is the size of your boat with my 07 Frontier 4x4 crew cab V6. This truck will definitely meet your requirements- it doesn't sound like you're going to be towing your boat up mount everest or hooking up a 5th wheel after you leave the ramp. Seriously, with the limited towing you're doing you could use a lot of tow vehicles. It sounds like you'll be using your truck mostly for commuting and a very small percentage of time will be used towing- so my advice would be choose the truck that you like most for commuting. If you have any specific questions about the Frontier let me know- I've been very happy with mine.

Ian Brantford
10-29-2010, 11:34 PM

I recommended the same thing in the previous thread. This engine should be much more adaptable to different conditions (very efficient when unloaded, still responsive when loaded). It has already been proven in the open market in other vehicles, though not in a truck yet. Here is the start of Ford's series of "Torture Test" videos: http://www.fordvehicles.com/trucks/f150/experiencef150/

I also think that the price on that bare-bones Silverado is too high. It's a comparatively inexpensive vehicle to make. I expect that the markup is pretty high for it, as it is for many trucks.

The questions about being a people-mover are also relevant. If LSV04 doesn't need to frequently haul long loads, a short-box extended cab configuration is going to be more useful overall. For the occasional long (but not too heavy) load, an extender such as the Lund Hitch Rack can be used.

sandm
10-30-2010, 06:45 AM
it will be interesting to see that ecoboost and how it fits in the ford lineup pricewise. it looks to be a very good motor, but I would bet it'll carry a premium over the v8's at first, which could adversely affect it's initial acceptance. It's getting rave reviews in the taurus sho, but look at the price.. low 20's for a base taurus and a tad south of 40g's for the sho. imo, those are 2 completely different customers.

thesack
10-30-2010, 11:55 AM
Hey
Finally narrowed it down
2011 Small Silverado basically just a steering wheel. 21900
or
Nissan Frontier 2010 leftover 22000
Loaded truck

Chevy or Nissan?

Do you think the Silverado 6 cyl is horrible on gas ?

Thanks.

Decided to browse through some of the ads today. Saw that a local dealer is selling the base 2011 Silverado at 18,990 (dealer discount of 1245 and factory rebate of 2000). Didn't see an ad for Frontiers. I doubt there there is much markup on the base model over invoice, but this might help you get a better deal. I know that typically you can get a better deal on a vehicle that has more on it then a base model because there is room to discount it.

it will be interesting to see that ecoboost and how it fits in the ford lineup pricewise. it looks to be a very good motor, but I would bet it'll carry a premium over the v8's at first, which could adversely affect it's initial acceptance. It's getting rave reviews in the taurus sho, but look at the price.. low 20's for a base taurus and a tad south of 40g's for the sho. imo, those are 2 completely different customers.

I would probably guess that the V6 Ecoboost will run between the up charge cost of the 5.0V8 ($1000) and 6.2V8 (2560). But it is also suppose to out perform the 5.0V8. The justification for the up charge is probably there. I haven't talked to my dealer about the Ecoboost engine to see which models it will be available in, but I would hope that Ford will offer it through out the F150 line up just like the 5.0V8 is. Where as in the Taurus line up it is only available in the Sho, which is a fully loaded model.

skiyaker
10-30-2010, 12:21 PM
I test drove a Flex with the V6 Ecoboost- it ran smoothly and fast. I know they say they've put that engine through extremes in a lab but I'll be interested to see how it holds up to real world conditions in a truck.

moombadaze
10-30-2010, 08:31 PM

for me going to the same lake all the time (its about 3 miles away) gets boring-someday you will want/need to tow further. So someday you may want a truk you can tow with longer distance.

sandm
10-31-2010, 02:49 PM
I would probably guess that the V6 Ecoboost will run between the up charge cost of the 5.0V8 ($1000) and 6.2V8 (2560). But it is also suppose to out perform the 5.0V8. The justification for the up charge is probably there. I haven't talked to my dealer about the Ecoboost engine to see which models it will be available in, but I would hope that Ford will offer it through out the F150 line up just like the 5.0V8 is. Where as in the Taurus line up it is only available in the Sho, which is a fully loaded model.

really can't wait to see what it will do, and like mentioned, long term testing will be interesting. turbo's generate a TON of heat and are prone to fail if not taken care of, especially in the demanding world of trucks. will be interesting to see if they have any turbotimers built in..

I would guess that, like the v-10, the ecoboost will be a "novelty" for the truck world irregardless of tow ratings and represent a very small segment of actual f150 sales. seems that most truck guys want v8's or diesel. buying something they don't understand will be a tough sell. where I see the ecoboost being a hit is in the 2wd sport truck market, especially after the tuners get their hands on it. bet there's another 50-100hp in that motor with some simple bolt-on's and tuning/flashing software.

maxpower220
10-31-2010, 04:02 PM
My problem with turbo is the "rated" gas mileage. Car and Driver posted real world findings on all of the "better" turbo cars and their associated mileage, like the BMW 535 vs the 540 ( a turbo 6 vs a V-8). In all cases the the V-8 got better milage on the HWY and close to the same in town.
I have owned 2 turbo cars, Volvo S40 and S60R. Both were very reliable and no problems. The 1.9 I-4 only had 5 lbs of boost, which is how I see these new EcoBoost engines. With minimal boost amounts, there are few issues with heat. The larger surface areas of trucks lend themselves to heat transfer better than any car. Engine and tranny configurations do impact tow ratings, but the majority of it has to do with chassis/suspension.

I am very happy with American V-8 power, can't see any need for a V-6 turbo in my situation.

Ian Brantford
10-31-2010, 06:01 PM

It's Sunday now. So, what did you buy?

sandm
10-31-2010, 10:32 PM
5 lbs of boost? Barely runnin. My last evo was runnin 32lbs and meth injected. Nothin like a turbo spinnin that kind of pressure. Do know what u mean on real world mpg's.. I was averaging 25 from a 2 liter.

I, as well would be curious on the purchase. That nissan would make a nice daily driver

yager97
11-01-2010, 05:04 PM
I own a 2003 LSV, and I use a 2005 nissan frontier crew cab 4x4 6 cylinder to tow it. works like a charm, however, it isn't too good on fuel. This truck will tow this boat wherever you need it to, no problems, up hills, down hills, its all good. dont expect any huge gas savings compared to a 8 cylinder full size though, its just not that good on gas. it averages about 15 liters/100 km on the highway I have calculated, and this is back when i used to care about gas mileage and drove somewhat conservatively.

yager97
11-01-2010, 05:05 PM
my next truck will be a full size titan or tundra

MartinCaron
11-02-2010, 10:25 AM
My next truck ;)

https://forum.moomba.com/picture.php?albumid=369&pictureid=3065

sandm
11-02-2010, 04:33 PM
Now that's just silly :)

viking
11-09-2010, 06:08 PM
Love it! An 07 - It's my daily tractor. Got it all washed/waxed before the snow :( Winter is officially here!

lsvboombox
11-09-2010, 06:09 PM
My next truck ;)

Those are sweet but I love the f650 supertruck..

http://blog.niot.net/blog-images/chicago-2008-alton-f-650-xuv-makes-a-big-statement.jpg