PDA

View Full Version : Issues with Windshield replacement at dealer

Muzzy
10-28-2010, 03:17 PM
I am having the whole windshield on my 06 LS replaced at the local dealer. I was quoted about $1800 for the job, insurance covered it so it wasn’t a big deal. I just got a call from the dealer saying that it’s going to cost an additional $660 because the windshield they ordered doesn’t fit the same and they will have to fill the original mounting holes (about 7hrs of additional labor) he said it’s abou 3/4 inches off (without seeing in person I really don’t know what that means). $2500 for a windshield is starting to sound a little crazy.
To me it sounds like the wrong windshield was ordered and they are just trying to “make it work”. I already received my insurance check and the claim has been closed, but that is kind of besides the point, I want to proper windshield installed and not something rigged to work. Any advice? They may start the work tomorrow or next Tuesday. Should I call them back and tell them not to do it? I just can’t imagine they can’t get the correct windshield for my boat, it’s not that old. Thanks

zabooda
10-28-2010, 04:16 PM
Call your adjuster and explain the details and they can get another estimate from the shop and cut another check. I just had my trailer fender fixed where someone ran into it and it was $1500. The opposite happened to me where they were able to repair the fender rather than cutting it out so I pocketed $500. The problem I had was the cost to fix the trailer was getting close to the value of the trailer.

cab13367
10-28-2010, 06:55 PM
I am having the whole windshield on my 06 LS replaced at the local dealer. I was quoted about $1800 for the job, insurance covered it so it wasn’t a big deal. I just got a call from the dealer saying that it’s going to cost an additional $660 because the windshield they ordered doesn’t fit the same and they will have to fill the original mounting holes (about 7hrs of additional labor) he said it’s abou 3/4 inches off (without seeing in person I really don’t know what that means). $2500 for a windshield is starting to sound a little crazy.
To me it sounds like the wrong windshield was ordered and they are just trying to “make it work”. I already received my insurance check and the claim has been closed, but that is kind of besides the point, I want to proper windshield installed and not something rigged to work. Any advice? They may start the work tomorrow or next Tuesday. Should I call them back and tell them not to do it? I just can’t imagine they can’t get the correct windshield for my boat, it’s not that old. Thanks

Sounds to me like they ordered the wrong windshield (or were sent the wrong one) and they are trying to make you pay for someone else's mistake. I would definitely insist that they send the windshield back and get the right one.

moombadaze
10-28-2010, 07:21 PM
Insist on getting the correct windshield ordered.

kaneboats
10-28-2010, 09:09 PM
Yup. Don't worry about missing a few weekends this time of year. Get it right. Call the adjuster and tell them not to pay anything-- or to tell the dealer they aren't going to pay till it's right.

Muzzy
10-29-2010, 09:26 AM
I called the dealer back to question wether or not the correct windshield was ordered. He told me it is the correct windshield but when they make the windshield the mounting holes are not always in the same spot and when mounting the windshield it has to be tweaked to get all pieces to line up right and for the walk through window to close properly and it's not the same for every boat. I know windshield replacement probably isn't a very common repair so maybe this is all true, I just don't know where to go from here, as of now, the windshield they have I going to be installed.

phospher
10-29-2010, 11:31 PM
That sounds like bull$hit. I would be irate. Tell em to keep it and go somewhere else.

Muzzy
10-30-2010, 12:57 PM
Ya, I will be calling Skiers Choice first thing Monday and if needed another dealer, the more and more I think about this, it just doesn't feel right.
The only thing I could see them having to do it like this is if they can no longer get the proper windshield, I originally tried getting the glass directly through Taylor Made but they told me they no longer have the molds for that glass. But if I find out SC can get me the proper windshield without having to drill new holes, this dealer will have lost a customer, I'll drive another 160 miles to a more reputable Moomba dealer.

moombadaze
10-30-2010, 08:14 PM
it is very possible that this story is true about the holes not lining up. it very well have could be when going down the assembly line that the holes are drilled thru the windshield frame and deck at the same time----maybe

disclamer: pwi

DOCDRS
10-30-2010, 09:11 PM
it is very possible that this story is true about the holes not lining up. it very well have could be when going down the assembly line that the holes are drilled thru the windshield frame and deck at the same time----maybe

disclamer: pwi

But even still the new oem windshield with new holes would cover up the old ones , so just a little silicone to seal them would be all that would be needed

moombadaze
11-01-2010, 07:14 AM
But even still the new oem windshield with new holes would cover up the old ones , so just a little silicone to seal them would be all that would be needed

True on that.

Muzzy
11-01-2010, 10:22 AM
Talked to SC this morning, turns out this is legit, basically said word for word what the dealer told me. They said they dont carry 06 windshields, they use the 08, the footprint is the same but the frame is a little different and the holes wont always line up. He even said when they install them at the factory, every boat is different and they all need a little tweaking.
I am glad I double checked, definatley puts my mind at ease.

moombadaze
11-01-2010, 12:04 PM
good to hear its all legit

cab13367
11-02-2010, 04:34 PM
Talked to SC this morning, turns out this is legit, basically said word for word what the dealer told me. They said they dont carry 06 windshields, they use the 08, the footprint is the same but the frame is a little different and the holes wont always line up. He even said when they install them at the factory, every boat is different and they all need a little tweaking.
I am glad I double checked, definatley puts my mind at ease.

Are they replacing just the glass or the frame too? I ask because I believe the windshields on the 2006 boat is different than the 2008 and the footprint is NOT the same. The sides of the windshield on the 2008 boats come farther back than on the 2006 (I noticed this on my 2006 LSV vs mmandley's 2008 LSV).

See the pics below which I got from the Moomba archives. Look at where the side of the windshield ends relative to the rear tower leg. I'm pretty sure the towers are identical between the two boats. So this would explain why the holes are not lining up.

2006 LS:
http://moomba.com/archive/06mobiusls/image2.jpg

2008 LS:
http://moomba.com/archive/08mobiusls/image2.jpg

Muzzy
11-21-2010, 09:33 PM
Picked up my boat on Saturday, pulled the cover off today to check out my new windshield...... I aint happy.
At first it looked good, but then I took a closer look, first off the windshield looks used, very dirty and scratched up, there are dings and scrapes on the frame from the installer, and the biggest issue with it is the walkthrough window, there is a bumper on the top and bottom of the window and they are very long, and when the window is resting in the open position, the top bumper rests on the glass and the bottom bumper rest on the fiberglass. If I remember right, there should only be a bumper on the top that rests on the frame not the glass? Check out the pictures. I didnt get a picture yet of the metal shavings on the drivers armrest.
I paid $2400 for this and it looks like crap in my opinion, the dealer doesnt open until Tuesday, and they are going to have an unhappy customer on their hands. I should have inspected it before I left the dealer but i probably wouldnt have caught it anyways (wouldn't have looked that close). Your opinions, should I be as angry as I am now?
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11/mxmuzzy/DSCN3036.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11/mxmuzzy/DSCN3045.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11/mxmuzzy/DSCN3042.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y11/mxmuzzy/DSCN3041.jpg

moombahighrider
11-22-2010, 12:46 AM
If that frame is supposed to be brand new, then that is some crappy work! Even if it is your old frame, you would expect them to clean it while it was apart. The glass looks dirty too, as you mentioned. I would not be happy at all!
The scratches at the end of the frame are the worst! What were they doing to the frame and what tool did they do it with? Who is the dealer? Shame, shame!

Muzzy
11-22-2010, 01:26 AM
The whole thing is new, frame and glass. Should be showroom condition in my opinion.

thesack
11-22-2010, 01:00 PM
Are they replacing just the glass or the frame too? I ask because I believe the windshields on the 2006 boat is different than the 2008 and the footprint is NOT the same. The sides of the windshield on the 2008 boats come farther back than on the 2006 (I noticed this on my 2006 LSV vs mmandley's 2008 LSV).

See the pics below which I got from the Moomba archives. Look at where the side of the windshield ends relative to the rear tower leg. I'm pretty sure the towers are identical between the two boats. So this would explain why the holes are not lining up.

2006 LS:
http://moomba.com/archive/06mobiusls/image2.jpg

2008 LS:
http://moomba.com/archive/08mobiusls/image2.jpg

Al - It looks like the tower and windshield sit farther back in the 08 then the 06. If you look at the speaker in the boat, in the 06 it lines up with the rear tower foot and in the 08 it likes up with the end of the windshield.

Muzzy - I doubt that a windshield from SC would come looking that way. Kind of looks like they took the windshield off another boat and put it on yours. Based on the time it took to get parts from SC for my boat, I wonder if the dealer was told a longer time frame for getting the windshield then what they wanted for having the boat sitting in there shop, so they just took the windshield off another boat. Either way it sucks that the job was not doing correctly, I know i would be extremely upset if that happened to me.

Also if the dealer says the windshield is new, send the pics of it to SC and ask them if it looks new to them.

brain_rinse
11-22-2010, 01:04 PM
You're paying new prices, so you should expect new quality work. You can clean the dirt and paint the frame, though you shouldn't have to. Clearly that walk-thru window bumper situation is out of control. That is the major issue IMO.

Muzzy
11-22-2010, 04:54 PM
Can someone confirm where the bumpers rest on their windshield when the window is open (and maybe take a picture). I have been on a picture seach and some look like they may rest on the glass while others look like its on the frame. But havent seen a clear enough picture to be positive. Thanks.