PDA

View Full Version : Boat started on Fire

cjh12371
10-13-2004, 02:49 PM
I have a 2004 Mobius LSV and only have 10 hours on it. I took it out the other day and noticed the engine seemed to be missing about every 6 seconds. I throttled the boat down and the gauges all went goofy, the perfect pass went blank and the engine sputtered and eventually died and the gauges just froze where they were. We noticed smoke coming from the engine compartment. I opened it up and there was a small fire on the right side of the motor, way at the bottom. I was able to get the fire out and got a tow to the dock from some guys fishing. Thankfully I didn't have my kids on the boat. I am wondering if anyone else has had a problem like this with a brand new boat. Also what do you think I should do? Have it repaired or demand a new boat. Even if I get it repaired I don't know that I will ever be able to trust it and I will always wonder if I will have further complications from this fire down the road. What do you guys think?

jburnside
10-15-2004, 05:15 PM
Did you run your blower prior to starting the boat? If so, for how long? Did you open the engine compartment during your pre-launch/start ritual? How long had the boat been running before you found the fire? I'm glad to hear that no one was injured, that could have gotten really ugly, really fast. I would certainly discuss this with your dealer. Good luck.

cjh12371
03-31-2005, 06:41 PM
Took it to the local dealer and found out the main wiring harness was ran took close to the exhaust and that eventually fried it. The only problem is that I also had them winterize it while it was in so I don't know if everything is working or not. I will find out in a couple of weeks when I get it out of storage. I called a customer service rep at Moomba about this issue and they don't seem to really care and worst they didn't even seemed surprised! I asked them what there normal course of action was for a brand new boat that starts on fire. Response was to just take it to the local dealer and have it looked at. Everything was covered under warranty thankfully !

seanpatsdad
03-31-2005, 08:57 PM
I wonder if the Factory is getting the "Who Cares Attitude"because they they are selling a bunch of these boats at all the boat shows around the country and just brush off their problems to the dealers.Which wire harness was it so some of us can check ours for this problem.Glad to hear the dealer was cool.
John

Brian Raymond
04-01-2005, 05:41 PM
I am sorry to hear about your fire and am glad that nobody was injured. It sounds like your quick actions kept a catastrophe from occuring. I can assure you we have great interest in this matter, and we will also be following up. I am sorry you had a negative situation when you called, I can assure you that is not our protocol. Please let me know the name of the dealership that you are working with, so I can also pursue this issue. We at Skiers Choice are concerned with the safety of all our customers. Brian Raymond

waterboy
04-01-2005, 10:24 PM
I doubt if Skier's Choice will ever have a "who cares" attitude, and Brian Raymond just proved it.

Brian