PDA

View Full Version : Speedo pickup replacement

rsinger
10-24-2010, 10:42 PM
Anyone do this yet? I've got either a bad module or bad wires on an Outback. I was wondering if anyone re fished the new wiring from the bilge to the dash, and how difficult it was. If the wiring is good, I can just cut the end off the sensor and splice it in the bilge, but would prefer to fish the new wire to the dash.

deepcove
10-24-2010, 11:02 PM
I just dealt with this issue on my 04 LS. I thought I had a bad paddle wheel module and purchased a new one ( on the advise of the Perfect Pass people). There is a wiring harness in the bilge about 24" from the paddle wheel. I installed the new paddle wheel and it still did not work. I then decided to check my wiring and found I had a corroded ground wire going into my harness.

If you have to replace your wires for whatever reason tie a small diameter rope to the existing wires prior to pulling it out of the bilge and then you will have something to pull the new wire back through with.

rsinger
10-24-2010, 11:19 PM
If you have to replace your wires for whatever reason tie a small diameter rope to the existing wires prior to pulling it out of the bilge and then you will have something to pull the new wire back through with.

Exactly what I had in mind. I've had a fair bit of experience fishing various cavities. My concern is that the cable in question is tie wrapped at locations that can't be seen, possibly making this method difficult.

I was wondering if it would be easier/quicker, pushing a fiberglass or metal fish tape in one direction or another.

I've got plenty of time to do this as.
1. boat is being put away for winter within next week.
2. haven't found where I can get pickup from yet (already sent e-mail to 1 supplier)

Here is what I think I have
http://www.airmartechnology.com/uploads/wiringdiagrams/91_028.pdf
http://www.airmartechnology.com/2009/products/marine-product.asp?prodid=57&manf=All

There were 2 wires cut, and it would seem they work (lake water temperature sensor). All I would need is the appropriate gauge to connect them to.