PDA

View Full Version : Just bought my 1st moomba

sgeare
10-24-2010, 12:46 AM
I brought home my very first mooba yeasterday. She's a 98 outback. I have had Bayliners before this, so needless to say this is the first V8 and/or direct drive boat I have owned. It seems to be in great shape and ran great on the hose but it does have 670 or so hours on the clock. Anything I need to know or should look out for with this boat? That seems high for hours but it seemed to run great, any thoughts? Thanks for any advice. Looking forward to getting it on the water soon.

zabooda
10-24-2010, 02:41 AM
Congrats on the purchase and this time a year it was probably an excellent buy. We all will ask you to post some pics, gotta have some pics. Culbym on the Service Forum checked in with a 98 also so I'm glad I have company around. When ours goes vintage everyone else will have to wait. I've had my 98 since 2002 and the only issue that was common was the top passenger side windshield frame tends to slip off the glass so I added an additional screw to the frame and I close the walk-thru when trailering.

The 670 hours is only 56 hours per year which many on this site can attest is not many hours per year. The most important thing and probably the most difficult to determine is how well the boat has been maintained by the previous owner(s). You can search the website for "must have" items. Welcome aboard*and don't dip the nose into the waves too much.

cab13367
10-24-2010, 11:45 AM
Congrats on the new boat and welcome to the forum! I would personally never buy a boat without test driving it on the water but that's just me. Hope there are no surprises once u get her on the water.

Definitely post up some pics and don't forget to put your boat's year and model in your sig.

Al

sgeare
10-24-2010, 01:50 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys! I really appreciate it. As far as not getting it on the water before buying it, its a little hard in Arizona to just run over to the lake. We live in Tucson but bought the boat in Mesa late in the afternoon on Friday so we didn't have any time. I have never run any of my other boats on the water before buying them so hopefully my good luck keeps up! I will get some pictures up on here soon. I'm glad to hear that the hours don't sound outrageous, that was really the only piece that I wasn't totally comfortable with but being a 98 I figured it was going to have some hours. Thanks again for the advice, looking forward to learning more about my new ride!

kaneboats
10-24-2010, 05:30 PM
Nice looking boat. If it looked good to you at that age it was probably well taken care of. I have seen low hour boats that were not used and were neglected and not in good shape. I have seen higher hour boats that were used a lot, loved and cared for and they are absolutely fine. This is not a lot of hours for the age and it looks pretty good to me.