PDA

View Full Version : Green Swimming Lizards of Lake Seminole

zegm
10-21-2010, 05:23 PM
Once we went skiing in Lake Seminole which boarders Georgia and Florida. After seeing 5 alligators in a couple of hours we decided not to boat there anymore. One was a monster and it was sitting about 15 feet away from the boat while we were changing skiers. I screamed, everyone in the boat NOW!!!
I am pretty sure this is the same one! :shock:

http://www.gon.com/article.php?id=2517&show=articleimages

sandm
10-21-2010, 05:57 PM
that would be a quick way to ruin the day..

Mikey
10-21-2010, 08:57 PM
Holy crap! When i was down in the summer skiing with Chris Parrish i told him of my fears of your little green lizzards and he just laughed. He told me i should be more worried about the Cotton Mouth snakes that were likely in the grass right beside the dock i was standing on,Which i promptly got way the hell away from.
Now i know my fears were not just in my imagination.???
I did Love Florida and would come back in a Heart beat ,just the same.
I believe,i could do it ,Lizzards and all.LOL

kaneboats
10-21-2010, 10:58 PM
Dang, Mike. That picture just made me hungry. Fair's fair, right? There's something indescribably satisfying about taking a bite of gator.

moombadaze
10-22-2010, 07:16 AM
WOW, did they get that out of the flint?

kaneboats
10-22-2010, 09:48 AM
It came from Lake Seminole-- the Chatahoochee and Flint run together from differrent directions to form Lake Seminole above the Chatahoochee Dam. That thing would have been about 50 years old.

zegm
10-22-2010, 10:33 AM
WOW, did they get that out of the flint?

No it came from Lake Seminole which is like Kaneboats said fed by the Flint and the Chatahoochee. I have been on both rivers and the lake. There are houses and industry on the Flint and I have never seen an alligator there. However that doesn't mean they aren't there they are most likey avoiding humans. However the Chatahoochee which is a much bigger river has no houses on it and it is in the wilderness. I see alligators on that river everytime I am on it (they are NOT shy there!).
I have been told by people who live in that area that there are monsters in the Chatahoochee and Lake Seminole. This article just proved what my wife and I already know. That is also one reason we like to kayak on the Chatahoochee, we get to go gator watching. Of course I do carry a firearm with me everytime, tied to a lanyard which is attached to my body. Just in Case!
And Kaneboats is correct gator does taste Good! Next time anyone is in the area out eating at the local fish houses order some Gator Nuggets! Ummmmm...good! And by looking at the picture of the one that was hunted I would say that there should be a good supply of Gator Nuggets in the area for a few months! ;)

jmvotto
10-22-2010, 10:37 AM
i'll pass on th skiing with the lizards.....:rolleyes:

zegm
10-22-2010, 11:14 AM
Holy crap! When i was down in the summer skiing with Chris Parrish i told him of my fears of your little green lizzards and he just laughed. He told me i should be more worried about the Cotton Mouth snakes that were likely in the grass right beside the dock i was standing on,Which i promptly got way the hell away from.
Now i know my fears were not just in my imagination.???
I did Love Florida and would come back in a Heart beat ,just the same.
I believe,i could do it ,Lizzards and all.LOL

Well to be honest we have a couple of pet snakes at home (Ball Pythons) and we often catch or observe snakes in the yard and even go snake hunting. I can say I have only ever seen one Cottonmouth/Water Moccasin (same snake, different names due to locations). I have seen many Copper Heads, Timber Rattlers and Diamond Backs. So my point here is I have seen Many more alligators than I have that snake. But almost ALL water snakes are aggressive in nature and that one is one to leave alone as it does have a reputation as being the most aggressive Pit Viper we have in the USA. Unlike an alligator or most other snakes that almost aways moves away from humans when spotted a Cotton Mouth will hold its ground!

MOOMBA_97
10-22-2010, 12:46 PM
That gator actually came out of the area where the two rivers meet near the dam. That area is considered Lake Seminole but is quite a ways from any area where people ski. There are many small islands out there where alot of gators live. There is too much traffic for most of them where the watersports are. Never had a problem is 34 years.

Mikey
10-22-2010, 10:49 PM
I'm still scared of the big green lizzards,but believe it or not i have had Gator a couple times and yes its GOOD, Kinda tastes like chicken? Just like all funky things it seems HAHA

kaneboats
10-23-2010, 01:32 AM
I always want to assuage the fears of the kids when we go out so I have a saying that calms them all down and makes them feel better and at ease:

"The best thing about this river is that there are hardly any alligators in here at all!"

It always makes them feel relaxed before they slip off the platform into the deep cool dark water.

10-23-2010, 01:28 PM
So they are going to eat a 50 year old gator? I don't about gators but 50 year old fish are not the best tasting. So what would someone do with such a big Gator? make boots? LOL.

Mikey
10-23-2010, 04:44 PM
That Gator would be good for a few pairs i imagine. Alberta Boots would surely love to get that hide.(Local custom cowboy boot maker here)

kaneboats
10-24-2010, 05:17 PM
There's a reason we cut it into little bits and deep fry it.