PDA

View Full Version : Need help with radio set up

lsvboombox
10-21-2010, 02:11 PM
I got the MB quart nautic system in my boat. The Main unit(it has 3 remotes and a main black box) seems to be on the fritze.. It getting covered under warranty but I am thinking of upgrading the system.. Can I reuse the mbquart remotes with any other brand? or will I need replace all the remotes?

any suggestions on a system to upgrade to? just looking for head unit and remotes...

thanks

Brianinpdx
10-21-2010, 05:06 PM
LSV - I've come across 5 boats (primarily Surpras) this season all with a similar problem with that headunit. In each case they all upgraded and went with a new HU and new remote and was pretty excited with the results. I think your on the right track with your thinking... and no, I dont think you can use the remote with another setup.

-Brian
Exile Audio

lsvboombox
10-21-2010, 06:02 PM
LSV - I've come across 5 boats (primarily Surpras) this season all with a similar problem with that headunit. In each case they all upgraded and went with a new HU and new remote and was pretty excited with the results. I think your on the right track with your thinking... and no, I dont think you can use the remote with another setup.

-Brian
Exile Audio

do you recommend any particular head units?

dru1974
10-21-2010, 06:22 PM
Why would u change a good system... I mean really. There r so much better things u could spend your money on. I think that the mb stuff is pretty slick. New wake board....wake skate tower speakers with amp and so on.

lsvboombox
10-21-2010, 06:59 PM
Why would u change a good system... I mean really. There r so much better things u could spend your money on. I think that the mb stuff is pretty slick. New wake board....wake skate tower speakers with amp and so on.

everything else is covered.... system isnt even 2 months old and the main box already crapped out and one of the remotes got a ton of condensation inside the screen and will not dry up...

I am not to thrilled with the equipment

was looking at the kenwood 440u with the kca-rc107mr remotes

lsvboombox
10-21-2010, 07:51 PM
i think i need to stick with kenwood due to the remotes... the kenwood remotes are large enough to cover up the holes from the mb quart remotes...

Razzman
10-21-2010, 09:33 PM
I'm partial to Pioneer and their remotes are big also.

lsvboombox
10-21-2010, 10:08 PM
I'm partial to Pioneer and their remotes are big also.

thanks will check them out..

Razzman
10-22-2010, 01:12 AM
thanks will check them out..

Regardless of what you buy, look at units with three outputs (FRT/REAR/SUB) as it makes system expansion easier on you.

thesack
10-22-2010, 01:39 AM
Whenever I get my boat back I'm installing the Alpine CDA-118M Head Unit and MC20 remote. I decided to go with this because it has 2 zone volume control, so that I can have my towers at one volume and my cabins at another. You might take a look at this deck as well as the kenwood.

dru1974
10-22-2010, 09:02 AM
I thought you had the mb quart system.......sorry my bad you could check that out. i have controll overmy tower speakers through it and it works well. obviously mine is factory but i like it.

viking
10-22-2010, 10:17 AM
Regardless of what you buy, look at units with three outputs (FRT/REAR/SUB) as it makes system expansion easier on you.

also make sure they are 4V

EarmarkMarine
10-22-2010, 12:13 PM
We do the aftermarket work for the local Supra/Moomba dealer and do alot of the warranty diagnosis on the factory audio systems for them. The MB Quart black box that ties into the Medallion dash electronics has had issues. Mostly its been the volume launching to full without any prompting. It seems to be tied to the three remotes and can be temporarily fixed by eliminating one of the three. To my knowledge they are working on it but do not have a rock solid resolution yet.
To repair the transom glass/gelcoat for a new remote is no big deal, at least its fairly inexpensive with our local dealer. Relating to Supras, we have made adapters for the dash remotes that looked factory. The glove box remote gets replaced with a conventional source unit.
The part of the source upgrade that I feel good about is that once you make the change, subsequent service issues are going to be easier several years down the road. I don't have confidence that the original factory equipment is going to be serviceable for that long.

David
Earmark Marine

lsvboombox
10-22-2010, 05:13 PM
david,

so right now i do have the blackbox wm1-bb - http://www.athome-atsea.com/productid.php?id=30&cat=3

is there any benefit by switching to one of their head units? like the wr-1 or wm-1
http://www.athome-atsea.com/productid.php?id=33&cat=5

EarmarkMarine
10-23-2010, 12:35 AM
Provided that all the remotes are capatable, honestly I couldn't say whether the problems would carry over or not.

David
Earmark Marine