PDA

View Full Version : small issues

schuylski
10-20-2010, 08:12 PM
Hey guys, had the boat a couple months now, got a little over 40 hours and had a few questions-

Is there an adjustment for the rear storage locker struts? Mine keep falling down, knocking me on the head or catching my legs or arms. The boat is only 2 months old so I don't think they're worn out... but neither stays up- if i'm on land one is usually favored by a slight tilt of the ground and will stay up, but the other one constantly crashes. Sitting in the water they'll both fall from any motion.
I did have one come unscrewed from its bracket at the end, i guess from vibration/use, but I just screwed it back on. Thoughts?

Also, having issues with the tower pads and a search showed me this was a common issue. I've had it back to the dealer to fix the one, the other was starting to come out but he said he wouldn't fix that one until it's all the way out... so bring it back. Will the dealer be able to come up with a better solution or should I just man up and go rig something up that will stay better?? Seems silly to me... but I didn't exactly feel I should need to rigging things on a brand new boat...

And last, just worried about some vibration - it's mostly at slower speeds, say 8-14 mph, and it's not big, but I was just worried a little. Like I put my hand on the windshield and can feel it, and can feel it a little in my feet, but just sitting there the regular person doesn't notice it. Do I chill out, a little vibration is normal, or should I be checking into it? I haven't hit anything.

Things are going great overall, I'm loving it! Just need to move to Florida...

deafgoose
10-20-2010, 08:15 PM
And last, just worried about some vibration - it's mostly at slower speeds, say 8-14 mph, and it's not big, but I was just worried a little. Like I put my hand on the windshield and can feel it, and can feel it a little in my feet, but just sitting there the regular person doesn't notice it. Do I chill out, a little vibration is normal, or should I be checking into it? I haven't hit anything.

I bet $100 that you have an OJ 14.25x14 prop installed on your boat.

If you do, it's normal. :roll:

lsvboombox
10-20-2010, 08:32 PM
[QUOTE=schuylski;116956]Hey guys, had the boat a couple months now, got a little over 40 hours and had a few questions-

Is there an adjustment for the rear storage locker struts? Mine keep falling down, knocking me on the head or catching my legs or arms. The boat is only 2 months old so I don't think they're worn out... but neither stays up- if i'm on land one is usually favored by a slight tilt of the ground and will stay up, but the other one constantly crashes. Sitting in the water they'll both fall from any motion.
I did have one come unscrewed from its bracket at the end, i guess from vibration/use, but I just screwed it back on. Thoughts?

QUOTE]

I have a strut that is weak as well... The other is fine. I was going to swap them and see if its a bad strut or the location of the mounts may be different?? I believe attwood makes struts and they can easily be replaced..

flex
10-20-2010, 09:28 PM
i notice some vibration in mine at slow speeds and it seems normal. but you may want to check to see if something is wrapped around the shaft or prop. the smallest string or weed wrapped on the shaft can cause more than the normal vibration.

i agree the prop you have could be causing it too.

you da man
10-20-2010, 09:54 PM
Get rid of the OJ prop and get an Acme 1235 or 1433. You'll love your boat alot more and will perform better than new. Zero vibration, better holeshot, mine gained topend with the 1235 (running 46mph), quieter inside the cabin, and a much cleaner wake.

DOCDRS
10-20-2010, 11:56 PM
Get rid of the OJ prop and get an Acme 1235 or 1433. You'll love your boat alot more and will perform better than new. Zero vibration, better holeshot, mine gained topend with the 1235 (running 46mph), quieter inside the cabin, and a much cleaner wake.

what prop were you running before and what was your top end. also is that gps or boat speedometer?
thanks

BensonWdby
10-21-2010, 07:33 AM
Regarding the struts - make sure no one is laying on it when you lift it.. :-)

you da man
10-21-2010, 09:32 AM
what prop were you running before and what was your top end. also is that gps or boat speedometer?
thanks

I had the stock OJ wakeboard prop 14.25 x 14. Topend on that was 43mph indicated and now it's 46 indicated on the 1235.

maxpower220
10-21-2010, 03:29 PM
Strut- They should stay up after you lift. If not, have the dealer replace them (I assume your boat is new). If not new, take strut off, go to auto parts store and match up a new one, replace yourself. If the screws are an issue, add some loctite or silicone sealant to stop them from coming loose.

Press you dealer to fix the tower pad issues.

You boat should not vibrate at all on smooth water. Since you have used it, it will be hard to determine that you have not struck something. A prop repair shop should be able to fix it for you. Perhaps your dealer can help out, especially if you have mentioned it to him before.

thesack
10-21-2010, 05:42 PM
More then likely the vibration you are feeling is being caused by slight cavitation. Probably caused by how the water is moving past the hull and prop. If it was something stuck to your prop or damage to it, the vibration would increase as your speed increases. You could also be experiencing a resonant frequency vibration that is just happening to occur between 8-14mph. I had this happen on my boat after the prop (Acme 1235) was repaired when my drive shaft snapped in half. Changed props at the vibration went away. Changing props could make the vibration go away, but it might not as well. Just depends on if the prop is the cause or not. I feel slight vibrations all the time in my boat that no one else ever notices, partly because I do vibration analysis for a living. If the vibration you are feeling starts to increase or changes characteristics then I would try to figure out what is causing it. If it hasnt changed and is minor I wouldn't worry about it too much.