PDA

View Full Version : Ask The Forum

flex
10-20-2010, 10:26 AM
so i'm reading through the "Ask the Detail Man" thread today because it's that time of the year to wax the boat again. i'm always on the look out for enviromently friendly products that make the job easier & new techniques.

but why was the thread closed? i saw there was a comment stating something to the effect of a violation of the rules (maybe trying to sell their products) but i did not read or see any comments that were in violation. were the comments removed? or am i overlooking them?

thought i would ask the forum there thoughts on the thread being closed.

jmvotto
10-20-2010, 10:37 AM
so i'm reading through the "Ask the Detail Man" thread today because it's that time of the year to wax the boat again. i'm always on the look out for enviromently friendly products that make the job easier & new techniques.

but why was the thread closed? i saw there was a comment stating something to the effect of a violation of the rules (maybe trying to sell their products) but i did not read or see any comments that were in violation. were the comments removed? or am i overlooking them?

thought i would ask the forum there thoughts on the thread being closed.

I noticed it being closed, but did not see the questionable comments if there were any?

my.02

viking
10-20-2010, 10:47 AM
I'll chime in with my .02 whether you want it or not? :p

I think the Detail Guy started a thread to help with the subject at hand but commented that he only used Leverage products. So don't know how much help he'd be on the broad subject if the only expertise is to recommend one manufacturer's stuff.

Just my observation as I was following the thread !!

brain_rinse
10-20-2010, 10:57 AM
Since I closed the thread I'll summarize my thoughts, and I've already shared this with Leverage.

A message board is about getting the opinion of many unbiased yet experienced people. Certainly experts, self titled or otherwise, are welcome to contribute. I'd look to the audio guys for a shining example of how well this can work out. But they bring years of proven experience to the table and know how to operate within the guidelines.

And as I stated in that thread:

Hmm, if your experience is only leverage products I'm not sure how well this will play out.

Look at our resident audio experts on here for a great example of how sharing expertise indirectly leads to increased sales. "Vinyl dirty? Try our vinyl cleaner!" is a violation of our rules here.

sandm
10-20-2010, 11:15 AM
This is one of the most heavily modded forums I belong to in that respect, and it is welcome. thanks for the mods for doing that..

with that being said, the audio guys seem that they are offering both knowledge in the industry and are not pushing their products at all, which is nice.. they help those in need, and have not pushed anyone into "their" products.. A detail expert on the forums is def. a welcome site, but if there is a push toward "their" products, good for brain for shortening the leash.

kaneboats
10-20-2010, 11:24 AM
Viking, you hit it on the head. But the mods are working with them instead of banning them outright. There is a middle ground as demonstrated by all the audio guys-- professionals with highly informative and well respected opinions. I wouldn't go anywhere else for advice because they have demonstrated expertise and commitment. I wish we could see the same thing in many other areas and maybe we will.

brain_rinse
10-20-2010, 11:36 AM
I'll just add that the short leash is by design, as this forum is funded solely by Skiers Choice. The intent is not only to protect the interests of SC, but also that you get a valuable source of information and community that is not diluted by other companies selling their products.

So while I agree that we mods run a tight ship, I hope you can all appreciate that it's for the benefit of the community. I'm glad you started this thread, flex, because what we do as moderators should be no secret. If any of you guys have questions don't hesitate to send us a PM.

jmvotto
10-20-2010, 11:43 AM
Mods, nice job, much appreciated....:) guess i did not pay that much attention to the product being supported. I was too busy watching the Rangers kick the $*&% out of the Yankees.:(

sandm
10-20-2010, 11:50 AM
So while I agree that we mods run a tight ship, I hope you can all appreciate that it's for the benefit of the community.

I would bet that everyone here agrees with what you just posted.. it's a thankless job, and if anyone does have an issue, no one is forcing anyone to post here :)

keep up the good work..

it's oftentimes harder to babysit adults than children :)

flex
10-20-2010, 12:06 PM
i'm glad to hear that the moderaters are working with them. i thought maybe i was overlooking the comments or reading (pun) to much into thread.

one of the best things about this forum is the expert help from the professionals that do the work day in day out. i would have never finished my audio project without reading through all of the previous post.

it was not my intention to make anyone mad & i apologize if it did.

skiyaker
10-20-2010, 01:41 PM
it's a fine line- I'm pretty sure many users on this forum, maybe even moderators, have ties with manufacturers of everything from aftermarket swimdeck platform pads to snack food items. It's like anything- if a stranger gives you free advice about a product you have to take that for what it's worth. And in the end good point that this forum is funded, moderated, owned by Skiers Choice. And thanks to the mods nobody wants this to be like the victory lane celebration of a nascar race... Moomba Forum polished by (insert favorite wax here) and powered by (insert favorite gasoline brand here) driven by Indmar (ok there's only one engine manufacture for moomba)

schuylski
10-20-2010, 05:17 PM
yaahh- Agree! Thanks mods for what you do this forum is... AWESOME. :cool: AND contributors... so much information and help- some other forums phew.... a whole lotta nonsense.

that thread opened up more questions for me than answers...... and i even felt like i knew at least a little about wax and have done some research, but man my head is spinning about it now.... this and that, i thought hot sauce was for hot wings, leverage was what got us into problems with the stock market, and boat babes were the girls that sat up front in the playpen???

detailing experience and expertise would be sweet.

skiyaker
10-21-2010, 08:51 PM
LOL Thanks ED!!! but what about the Yuengling? Speaking of which they had a nice article about your favorite beer in the Wall Street Journal today-looks like they're expanding and hopefully won't be as hard to find after a while:)

kaneboats
10-21-2010, 10:55 PM
Ahhh, the last available American macrobrew.

jamie_abb
10-22-2010, 12:05 AM
This forum is the shizzle. I've been trying some HD forums and they are not nearly as good. Props to the mods.

kaneboats
10-22-2010, 09:34 AM
Props accepted on behalf of all mods. I'll drink to that and to you in thanks but it will have to wait till 3 pm today. Now, what time is it in Ireland right now?

sandm
10-22-2010, 12:36 PM
I found it's much better to just hang a clock on the wall in the kitchen, set it at noon, and take the batteries out. that way it's always time for a brew :)

kaneboats
10-23-2010, 01:21 AM
It is a sweet amber lager. Ahhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!