PDA

View Full Version : Pfffftttt . . . .

wolfeman131
10-17-2010, 10:49 PM
Every 6 yrs, or so, GA Power lowers the lake level so folks can work on their docks, seawalls, etc. This is the year and the lake gets lowered this week, so we pulled the boat out and will get it ready for winter.

It was a beautiful weekend in Central GA, but the kiddos were feeling ill and I think they are simply burned out after playing hard all summer long. So, no last weekend blowout of playing as I had hoped, just a short cruise from the house to the ramp.

Hope those that can continue to get out will enjoy every minute! Also hope Spring comes early in 2011.

deafgoose
10-18-2010, 01:24 AM
Today was my last wakeboard ride. It was windy and cold but it was worth the effort! The water temp was 46 degrees and my 4/3mm wetsuit was not keeping me warm enough.

I put 145 hours on the boat this year so I have nothing to complain about.

+1 about Spring coming early in 2011. :)

sandm
10-18-2010, 07:50 AM
I can't say that I've ever heard that noise from my dog.. but he sure can clear a room quickly :)

sucks to hear wolf. our lake started dropping the middle of august and is now down 133ft. it's sad to see, but it'll come back next year..

jester
10-18-2010, 11:55 AM
I feel your pain. I put my boat away this weekend and helped close up a friends cabin and move the dock out in the lake for the winter. Great weekend with sun but sad none the less.

kaneboats
10-18-2010, 12:15 PM
Gettin' to be dirtbike time of year. Bummer.

sandm
10-18-2010, 12:52 PM
man, dirt season is almost over here. 4wheelers are everywhere with those trying to kill bambi. nice to be rollin down the interstate going to work and get behind a guy coming back from the hills with a big deer head hanging over the back end of the truck.. most of them position it that way so everyone will know what they shot :(

came around a corner from the movies sat. night about 2 blocks from home. slammed on brakes and almost hit a 5ft tall deer in the middle of the road. hate this time of the year. they're everywhere..

maxpower220
10-18-2010, 05:06 PM
I did the engine portion of winterization yesterday. Hopefully, I get the clean up/shrink wrap done in the next few days. Sad, but no more water play for me until the ear heals. I have vacation next week and a full work plate in early Nov, so I figured I would do it now while the weather is still warm.

moombadaze
10-18-2010, 07:30 PM
Drew, make sure and get some photos of the lake being down with your dock. Wonder if you will find my towel next door?

kaneboats
10-19-2010, 10:00 AM
man, dirt season is almost over here. 4wheelers are everywhere with those trying to kill bambi. nice to be rollin down the interstate going to work and get behind a guy coming back from the hills with a big deer head hanging over the back end of the truck.. most of them position it that way so everyone will know what they shot :(

came around a corner from the movies sat. night about 2 blocks from home. slammed on brakes and almost hit a 5ft tall deer in the middle of the road. hate this time of the year. they're everywhere..

I don't hunt but I sure appreciate the guys that do-- lots of them are good friends of mine. It is so friggin dangerous to have that many deer out this time of year. Driving through western Kentucky about 5 years ago there was a 30 mile stretch with about 25 deer dead in the road. Just amazing. Hope they lengthened the season a little bit there cuz there is no way that many could survive on the land. Cheers to the guys that thin them out before winter and do something with the meat/skins, etc.

sandm
10-19-2010, 11:35 AM
ya, I don't hunt either.. I can't imagine the herds if they were not managed.. lots of debate here on the wolves helping that too..

DOCDRS
10-19-2010, 12:09 PM
our lake started dropping the middle of august and is now down 133ft. it's sad to see, but it'll come back next year..

wow thats huge, and i complain when they drop our lake 13 cm in the fall for spawning

sandm
10-19-2010, 12:30 PM
well, it's actually a reservoir, part of 3 that are used for water storage for irrigation, flood control and recreation. blm manages the 3 and the one that we boat on(15 minutes from front door) is the lowest one in the chain and the one that gets dropped the lowest. they are dropping it further this year to do some dam work. it looks crazy. hoping to get up there in the next couple of days to snap a couple pics.

it was a valley that they flooded. there's a chimney from a house that has been buried under sediment in the last 50 years that sticks out once it's low. have to post a few once I get up there :)

jester
10-19-2010, 06:30 PM
You know the only nice thing about the low water levels in the winter is you can go out and find a anchor or two and other stuff on the bottom. No diving gear needed.

you da man
10-20-2010, 10:03 AM
We're still going strong in the middle of Texas. You can trunk it still but shorties make it more comfortable. No need for fullsuits yet, probably not for another few weeks. I'll be going strong into Dec if the air temps are decent

saskyrider
10-20-2010, 10:33 AM
ya, I don't hunt either.. I can't imagine the herds if they were not managed.. lots of debate here on the wolves helping that too..

This time of year we usually have an influx of american hunters up here blasting away at the geese and ducks. Pretty soon they will be here for the deer. It is great for our little town (400 people) as it provides a nice little boost to the economy... our little hotel is full for about 2 months... anyone with an old yardsite that has a house is renting it out to hunters. It's funny i went for lunch yesterday at the restaurant in town and my truck was the only one with saskacthewan plates on it... all the rest were american. I've had the same guys hunt birds on my land for the last 5 years.... and they always leave the kids $50.00 american each (that gets some big grins!!!) and they leave me and wife a couple big bottles of whiskey. They offered to pay for going on our land but i declined, there nice guys so why not!! As for the wolves we are seeing more moose moving down into our area and that means the wolves are pushing them down further south... we actually have a draw for moose tags in our zone for the first time this year!

Geoff