View Full Version : Wake shapes

dru1974
10-14-2010, 04:07 PM
Have many of yo guys out there wake boarded behind a variety of boats? I boarded behind quite a few many with a larger wake than my mob ls but one thing I can say I really like the nice rampy lip....my cousins calbria is like running into a curb.....I hate boarding behind it...but it's also better than a kick in the but
Whats the best wake you have ridden behind?

deafgoose
10-14-2010, 04:32 PM
Best wake by far was a Malibu V-Ride. Barely any lip, just a big bubbly ramp!

We recently tried out a 2009 Wakecraft ZR6 and it was rediculous! The wake had so much lip and energy behind it, it would pop you straight up and the landings were brutal. It's a great wake if you have troubles getting pop, but for those that dont... YIKES!

http://www.wakecraft.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=8&Itemid=7

Mastercraft seems to have wide wakes and feel mushy.

jamie_abb
10-14-2010, 05:09 PM
My boat! !!!!!!!

brain_rinse
10-14-2010, 05:29 PM
Best wake by far was a Malibu V-Ride. Barely any lip, just a big bubbly ramp!
I was going to say the opposite! :) I like the lip, more for a clean release than the extra kick. I struggle when I ride behind my buddy's Malibu, though I'm sure (hope?) I'd get used to it in time.

I'd have a hard time picking a clear #1 but the 205v wakes are pretty nice...

deafgoose
10-14-2010, 05:43 PM
I was going to say the opposite! :) I like the lip, more for a clean release than the extra kick. I struggle when I ride behind my buddy's Malibu, though I'm sure (hope?) I'd get used to it in time.

I'd have a hard time picking a clear #1 but the 205v wakes are pretty nice...

I have friends that prefer more lip also but I feel like the more lip you have, the more chance of tripping on it.

you da man
10-14-2010, 07:09 PM
I like the ramp of my XLV and the size of it. My friends have a 03 LSV and were intimidated by it but they ended up enjoying it once they got used to it. I have two other friends both with Malibu LSV (04 and 07) and I like both those wakes...big and alot of pop with a nice lip to it that gives some kick. I still haven't ridden behind my buddy's SANTE but I'm dying to.

jra007
10-15-2010, 05:01 PM
I have an '01 mobius and at about 23mph with the factory rear ballast and about 5+ people its a suprisingly nice wake, though kinda narrow. I have a friend with an '07 Malibu V-Ride and with the wedge, ballast and some peeps its a nice wake, steeper than mine, though again kinda narrow. The V-Ride is basically the old Wakesetter. Both boats have a narrow beam, i believe 97". I have ridden behind a few 22ssv Launch's, and with all the ballast, i think its the best wake...Wide, solid, and a nice ramp. I have also ridden behind a Mastercraft X-45 and was slightly disappointing. But the boat is so big you really need some weight to get it to sit deep. The stock ballast really dosnt do that much... There are so many other boats i would like to ride. Tige' RZ2, Centurion Enzo 230... and a newer Wakesetter. Though so far my fav is the Supra 22 Launch. I think thats basically the diff from the Supra's and Moomba hull is the extra width and draft which adds to better wake...imo.

deafgoose
10-16-2010, 10:35 AM
I have to admit the V-ride wake is quite nice! -only bubbly when it's weighted wrong in the boat. they actually market the boat as an "entry level" v-drive but like someone already mentioned its just a wakesetter without the bling or price...

Interesting.

I ride behind a v-ride often and its always the same (bubbly wake) with the ballast filled. What would he be doing wrong?

Hillbilly
10-17-2010, 03:39 PM
Older Super Air 2005 and older I think= Serious straight up pop ! Lazy mans wake easy to blow up but hurts my knee's and back....LOL

205V X2 X1= Maybe one of the best wakes when loaded right in my opinion, Big and poppy like a Super Air but not quite so angry.

2007-2008 VLX is my personal favorite, And it only had about 500 pounds over stock. Just really good shape with a kick at the top.

I've heard really good things about the Sanger 215 but have yet to ride one. A friend is looking at buying one so it will be on my "have ridden list " soon hopefully.

I like my LSV most of the time LOL, Good vert and a bit of ramp mixed in. Nice compromise of the two. I don't get too many complaints about it.

I will say this though, Any boat can be crappy if not loaded right !

sailing217
10-20-2010, 01:20 PM
05' V-ride is my favorite probably due to the smaller 96" beam. Very nice release, extra 500lbs over stock.

I have a Centurion Avalanche with blade. Blade on and '2' or more it's way too straight up, very abrupt shot up. Wake is very wide on 100" beam plus Centurions.

Cent Avy without blade but an extra 500lbs in the middle is a beautiful big ramp but again very wide wake. I like the lip and size/meat, it's just so wide compared to the V-ride.

Enzo is just like the Avy but not as sensitive to weight. I prefer to shape the wake with the switchblade. Very wide.

Centurion Falcon V. Very nice wave, wide wake, prefer 500lbs in the middle to make it big.

saskie99
10-20-2010, 03:12 PM
05 v ride loaded up is narrower that my boat but super nice. 09 vlx load right up is huge. Also the 08 super air natique, super lippy but big. The Malibus I found were very nice shape as well as my lsv. With all of my ballast, 2 x 750, 400lbs locker, and 650 bow and 7 -8 aduts my wake with the plate all the way is really lippy. Way to lippy for a beginner of someone who is learning to go wake to wake. Pops you straight up. If you put the plate 1/2 way down it becomes much more forgiving

NCSUmoomba
10-22-2010, 03:46 PM
I'll post my 2 cents. I have only been behind a few boats, but the best wake was behind a Wakesetter VLX. I have been behind a 2004 and a 2006 and they were both really nice. The other interesting thing I have noticed is that even if the water is slightly choppy, the wake is smooth. With my Outback, even if the water is smooth, then the wake is still sligtly choppy. Was not a big fan of a 2004 Tige 20V. I hate the newer X-2 wake. The other wake that surprised me was a 1988 MC Tristar 190. It had a really nice shape, but wasn't very big. The owner was still playing with weight to dial it in and I think he has by now. Of course that being said, I still prefer my Outback due to my skill level and for learning proper technique. I can jump W2W toeside with no ballast in my boat, and I am about 50 pounds overweight. I have seen guys do backrolls, raleys, and 360's behind my boat before I got the wake dialed in, so the wake is not holding me back at all.

kaneboats
10-23-2010, 01:23 AM
I am about 50 pounds overweight.

Well, you're just a skinny punk then, no wonder you can ride. :D

10-23-2010, 01:19 PM
I have an XLV with 2650lbs and at Canadian Nationals I rode behind a SAN230 and I thought the wakes were kind of similar actually. Not a wall like the older SANTE's and not a mellow rounded ramp like on the Malibus, more right in the middle. With the bigger boats you need to run at 22-24 when weighted or use quite a short rope, but the wake is big.

I've also ridden a safara this year at provincials and it was nice, very firm but rounded with no lip.

you da man
10-24-2010, 11:29 PM
I have an XLV with 2650lbs and at Canadian Nationals I rode behind a SAN230 and I thought the wakes were kind of similar actually. Not a wall like the older SANTE's and not a mellow rounded ramp like on the Malibus, more right in the middle. With the bigger boats you need to run at 22-24 when weighted or use quite a short rope, but the wake is big.

I've also ridden a safara this year at provincials and it was nice, very firm but rounded with no lip.

Agreed with the XLV weighted at 21-22mph, ride short. Above 22 you can add some length and the wake is more than I can handle as a newbie

Derek03
10-31-2010, 10:32 PM
I am still trying to dial the wake behind my 06 lsv. Right now I have 750's in the back, ski locker and stock 250's sitting in the bow. Best I have gotten so far is 750's in back ski locker and 6 people crammed into bow. Made the wake a decent size and a nice ramp. The best wake by far though I have been behind is a 10' SANTE 230. Stock ballast with 6 people in the boat. It was huge and steep. With my LSV you defiantly have to have technique down but the SANTE was effortless to be in the clouds.
Here is a pic of the sante wake.

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa217/derek03_02/DSC04293.jpg

yager97
11-01-2010, 05:19 PM
ridden behind:
2009 nautique 210
2009 nautique 211
2000 malibu wakesetter
2006 malibu v-ride
my 03 moomba lsv

favorite would have to be between the 2000 wakesetter and the nautique 210. buddy has his 2000 wakesetter absolutely dialed, I love the rounded top to the wake, clean release everytime and hard as a rock. the 210 was actually quite similar to the wakesetter, but a bit more vert, hardly noticeable, and produced the same results with significantly less weight in it, 1000 pounds on top of stock in a new 210 is not bad at all!! 211 i was test driving and didnt have enough weight in it, an extra 500 on top of stock but could see potential in it for sure. I have had my moomba for 4 years, and a variety of different weights in it to try and get that rounded lip like the malibu, but just cant seem to figure it out, hate to say it, but its my least favorite of the boats i've ridden behind, thats not to say its not good though and all I will ever need. If you have any tips to get the lip to tame down on this boat, let me know!!!

bzubke1
11-02-2010, 02:44 PM
The boats you rode were all bigger and newer than yours and known to be some of the best in the industry. After riding a nautique 210 once I was kinda down on my boat for a while but after I thought about it there's nothing I could do behind that boat I couldnt do behind my own. I'd like to ride it again and compare though because I started weighting our boat different lately and think its a lot better now than when I rode behind that boat.

you da man
11-02-2010, 04:08 PM
ridden behind:
2009 nautique 210
2009 nautique 211
2000 malibu wakesetter
2006 malibu v-ride
my 03 moomba lsv

favorite would have to be between the 2000 wakesetter and the nautique 210. buddy has his 2000 wakesetter absolutely dialed, I love the rounded top to the wake, clean release everytime and hard as a rock. the 210 was actually quite similar to the wakesetter, but a bit more vert, hardly noticeable, and produced the same results with significantly less weight in it, 1000 pounds on top of stock in a new 210 is not bad at all!! 211 i was test driving and didnt have enough weight in it, an extra 500 on top of stock but could see potential in it for sure. I have had my moomba for 4 years, and a variety of different weights in it to try and get that rounded lip like the malibu, but just cant seem to figure it out, hate to say it, but its my least favorite of the boats i've ridden behind, thats not to say its not good though and all I will ever need. If you have any tips to get the lip to tame down on this boat, let me know!!!

My friends also have an 03 LSV and to me it has a small wake filled compared to my XLV with barely any ballast just to clean/level the wake. I'm going to look at the Axis A22 this week...who knows.

yager97
11-02-2010, 04:34 PM
the malibu is a 2000, 3 years older and is not much bigger than the Moomba, the beam is definately smaller, more freeboard, and maybe an inch or two longer.

you da man
11-02-2010, 04:39 PM
the malibu is a 2000, 3 years older and is not much bigger than the Moomba, the beam is definately smaller, more freeboard, and maybe an inch or two longer.

That's the reason, it's more narrow with more freeboard AND a Malibu so it's heavier built. All this equals to that boat sitting deeper in the water which is displacement which equals wake.

yager97
11-02-2010, 04:48 PM
That's the reason, it's more narrow with more freeboard AND a Malibu so it's heavier built. All this equals to that boat sitting deeper in the water which is displacement which equals wake.

I think thats a very valid reason as to why it will create a bigger wake easier with less weight, but its more the shape of the wake that I'm talking about, which I think personally has alot to do with a hull design, whats underneath the boat, is going to reflect what comes out behind the boat. I can get my 2003 wake big, it just doesn't have the same desirable shape to it, its alot like slamming into a vertical wall as the wake usually curls over, and this is not a speed issue we ride anywhere from 23-25mph. I'm going to try putting a little more up front next year and see where that takes me.

you da man
11-02-2010, 06:50 PM
I think thats a very valid reason as to why it will create a bigger wake easier with less weight, but its more the shape of the wake that I'm talking about, which I think personally has alot to do with a hull design, whats underneath the boat, is going to reflect what comes out behind the boat. I can get my 2003 wake big, it just doesn't have the same desirable shape to it, its alot like slamming into a vertical wall as the wake usually curls over, and this is not a speed issue we ride anywhere from 23-25mph. I'm going to try putting a little more up front next year and see where that takes me.

My friends 03 LSV is liking hitting a curb, not much ramp to it

yager97
11-02-2010, 08:26 PM
My friends 03 LSV is liking hitting a curb, not much ramp to it

like this.....

you da man
11-02-2010, 08:29 PM
like this.....

Yep, that's it. Even the inside of the wake is the same. When you go from inside to out it's like hopping down. My XLV has a decent inside to out wake that you can do jumps on...even they commented on how fun the inside to out wake was the first time they were on my boat this summer.