PDA

View Full Version : RED light under gear shifter???

SinNoMore105
10-13-2010, 11:44 PM
I just noticed that the Red light under my gear shifter is ON. the light comes on once i start the boat and only goes OFF after i put the boat in gear and throttle up the around 1000 rpms. Under the red light is says do not run engine over 1200rpms if red light is on. But the light goes off at 1000-1200 rpms. i checked my oil in my V-drive and its good i also noticed though that after riding for a little while the v-drive does get a little hot, but that could be normal i dont know.
any help would be Great thanks

deafgoose
10-14-2010, 01:09 AM
I am pretty sure its normal.

I think it says "do not run engine if the light is on above 1200 rpm" or something along those lines.

superfet
10-14-2010, 03:11 AM
Hi there
It is normal for the red light to be turned on when you are in neutral, and as you wrote it turns off when you put the boat in gear.

The V-drive gets cooled with water and gets a little bit warm during operation.

Take care.

lewisb13
10-14-2010, 11:31 AM
Absolutely normal. This light serves as your fluid level indicator for your v-drive. If the light stays on above 1200 rpm, your fluid level is low. But yes, it should be lit up BRIGHT RED when the boat is in neutral or just barely in gear.

viking
10-14-2010, 12:50 PM
Mine Never lights up! But then again, I have the DD.

sandm
10-14-2010, 12:54 PM
watch that light if you surf. I noticed that the factory fill does not allow enough fluid if the boat is listing to one side. I had to add a little more to get it to go off when surfing..

zegm
10-14-2010, 12:55 PM

Thanks for clearing this issue up as I too have a DD and didn't know anything about a light under the throttle.

SinNoMore105
10-19-2010, 06:56 PM
thanks again

DOCDRS
10-19-2010, 07:45 PM
it is the light for the pressure switch on the vdrive.......it will be on untill the oil pressure in the vdrive exceeds 2 psi....the v drive normally operates between 6 and 12 psi. i would suggest keeping the vdive at the full mark rather than the low mark.

viking
10-19-2010, 10:15 PM

OK - Jinxed myself. I was in the process of winterizing (boat on trailer) and fogging the intake manifold. Got the arrestor off and pushed on the throttle flap to fog and that tripped my RED check engine light? What NOW? Did it trip a code on the ECM or something?

viking
10-20-2010, 11:11 PM
anybody? hello, beuller, bueller?

DOCDRS
10-20-2010, 11:53 PM
OK - Jinxed myself. I was in the process of winterizing (boat on trailer) and fogging the intake manifold. Got the arrestor off and pushed on the throttle flap to fog and that tripped my RED check engine light? What NOW? Did it trip a code on the ECM or something?

apparently you did, now you have to get it read, make sure all fluids are proper levels , if you have a throttle body you may have set off the tps ( throttle position sensor) buy manually opening it. disconnect your battery for 5 minutes then reconnect and start....see if the code is cleared...may be something simple

viking
10-21-2010, 10:35 AM
that's exactly what happened. I did some searching last night and found an old post from 3 years ago that talked of "cycling". Running up to temp and then shutting off and letting it cool and then starting it and doing it again 3 times. That's supposed to reset. I'll try disconnecting the batts and if that doesn't do it she'll have to wait till next spring :(

WolfpackRider
11-15-2010, 09:32 PM
I had a problem with my light a few years ago. Unfortunately, I don't remember if it never came on or never went off, but the problem was that a wire that connects to the sensor at the V-drive had broken. I soldered it back on and all was well again. So, if you have a problem, don't forget to check the wiring.

viking
11-15-2010, 11:12 PM
i ended up pulling the batts and finished winterizing. I'm hoping that in the spring the light just doesn't come back on or I'll have to do some troubleshooting. Crossin my fingers!