PDA

View Full Version : What Surf board to buy?

Moseley618
10-13-2010, 09:39 PM
I have the hyperlite broadcast 5'6". I love this board for beginners, which I was at the beginning of the season but now I want something faster and more responsive. I would like to know what board you guys would buy. I would like it to be in the 4'2" to 4'9" range, I think. I also do not want to spend a ton of money, something in the $500 or under price point. Thanks

jmvotto
10-13-2010, 09:55 PM
you'll get lots of suggestions here. I too have an HL 5'6" broadcast. Inland surfer makes a nice board. i was looking at the squirt, but the blue lake is fun to ride.

Moseley618
10-13-2010, 10:03 PM
That is what I don't understand the difference between the different models like the Squirt and the Blue lake or any other company's boards. Maybe guys could give there opinion and then say why, like it is fast and loose or fast and tight. That would be great.

brain_rinse
10-13-2010, 10:15 PM
I like the Phase 5 boards. The Prop model sounds like it might work well for you.

jmvotto
10-13-2010, 10:17 PM
That is what I don't understand the difference between the different models like the Squirt and the Blue lake or any other company's boards. Maybe guys could give there opinion and then say why, like it is fast and loose or fast and tight. That would be great.

Blue lake is faster and more boyant than the HL and fron the video the squirt is more of a budget spinner vs a carver..

kaneboats
10-14-2010, 03:44 PM
This page is a good start for comparisons. But you have to ride them to know how they feel to you:

http://www.wakeboarder.com/products.php?products_id=23

sailing217
10-18-2010, 01:33 PM
pretty much all the non-wakeboard company surfboards are going to be much faster and more reponsive, so you really won't miss with inland or phase5.

Skimstyle is more about edging and much better for surface spins. Thinner and sink more for startups by beginners even on highend skim boards. Both IS and phase5 have tri-fin models now so it's not as squirlly/loose for beginners. Once you get good, take out the outer fins.

Surfstyle: inland surfer are great and fast. one thing is their construction method holds up better to dings, but is also slightly heavier than hand shapped boards.

I'd recommend the sweetspot. Towanza.com had one for sale on the cheap. Squirt with different fin setups is good too. Blue lake was for 190-240lb riders on my boat, too big for the rest of us. Just don't get a wakeboard company board IMO.

4fish4
10-18-2010, 02:08 PM
I been a boat owner for the last 3 years now. Like you,for the last 2 years we surf on hyperlite broadcast 5'6" . This year, I bought 2 boards at towanza. Phase 5 prop for the wife and kids and a Phase 5 Drew Danielo Pro Carbon for me . Best investment I ever made. For the last 2 years I struggle to surf without a rope in the pocket. But with these boards, everything comes easy. They are fast and very user friendly. Most of my friends who try out waksurfing for the first time use my boards and can free surf freely after 4 o 5 tries.

Check out my video on You tube. Everybody except for the first 3 people (my wife,daghter and me) are wakesurfing for the first time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqLPmXhjBkg

kaneboats
10-19-2010, 09:53 AM
You guys are really having some fun there.

4fish4
10-19-2010, 02:15 PM
I just love this sport..It's going to be a long winter.

saskie99
10-22-2010, 01:58 PM
I have the 4 '3 hyperlite swell, and it is very fast super easy to spin. Not a beginner board. I have rode the phase five drew and it is no better than my hyperlite

kaneboats
10-23-2010, 12:53 AM
No one is going to criticize your conclusions about a board (yea, right!). I'm sure if you broaden your horizons a little bit you'll see a lot of differences in the boards. I'm a good example. I couldn't tell a whole lot of difference between boards a year or so ago. I could ride 'em or not. Now, with a lot more surfing behind me I have a way better feel for what each board does and what its potential is. If you ever get a chance to visit Lake Sinclair in GA, look up Salty Oysters on here. He's the next hot thing on the way and I love his boards:

http://www.lakewakes.com/

T100
10-30-2010, 01:10 PM
These are great boards. I have the Ja Mako and it's great for all levels.
http://www.shredstixx.com/

moombadaze
10-30-2010, 08:23 PM
Gotta throw my vote in for the LakeWake boards. Going to have one for next year I hope

jmvotto
11-10-2010, 02:19 PM
Phase five prop or Icon for a family board. also will it fit in the oem wakeboard racks?

4fish4
11-10-2010, 11:57 PM
My wife and kids love their Prop. But for me, it was little too small. I weight 195 lb and I had a had time staying in the pocket. If you like to spin with or with out rope . This Prop board is for you. This board makes it effort less to spin.
If anyone in the family weights more than 180....you better have a killer wave to stay in the pocket.
For the kids, great board to have fun. My youngest weights only 50 lb and she spins with the rope. She can even pull of 360 easily by putting the rope in back of her back and then spinning. The board is to big for her to free surf.
To much push off the wave so she crashes into the boat because she is not heavy enough to put weight in back of the board to slow down.
So yesterday ,I just ordered a new 2011 Phase 5 Scamp board for my yougest.Towanza email me pictures of the new 2011 Boards. N ew colors and design. My daughter is going thank Santa this Xmas.

For the Racks, no problem. They easily fit.

jmvotto
11-11-2010, 08:46 AM
thanks for the info, the prop it is...