PDA

View Full Version : Rusty Bilge? Help Wanted...03 Outback

Lynn Syndrom
10-12-2010, 09:53 PM
Hello - I am a new boat owner as of 10/9/10. Purchased a 2003 Moomba Outback that I located via OnlyInBoards.com.

Used the boat one day before getting ready for winter storage. Cleaning the boat and found the "Metal Plate" located in the bilge (just aft of slalom post) to be significantly rusted. The bilge had quite a bit of rust chips under the engine that had come off the plate. Looks like something to foul the bilge pump in the future or worse. Plate is used to anchor the extarnal fins.

Question(s): Why steel here? Any ideas on replacement? Sure seems like this should have been a better grade of steel or maybe aluminum.

Thanks

For the record...Lynn Syndrom [forgot the E (not cool when your the new guy)]

zabooda
10-12-2010, 10:01 PM
I can't answer your questions but my 99 has had the plate flaking off. Those nuts are torqued on really tight so I try and keep the bilge dry and watch how much metal is coming off because eventually it will need to replaced but that could be years.

DOCDRS
10-12-2010, 11:36 PM
dry them, wire brush them, then spray them with autobody undercoating, or you could tremclad, then undercoat

deerfield
10-13-2010, 12:25 AM
Lynne - Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the 2003 Outback purchase. If you can, get a few pics of the new toy and post here. We like pics. Hopefully someone here can give you good advice on the rust situation. Want to keep that bilge pump in operating condition. - Deerfield

zegm
10-13-2010, 06:45 AM
Steel? I almost can't believe it came from the factory with mild steel in the bilge area. Anybody else notice this? I wouldn't waste time trying to clean it off and painting it. I would be taking it off and visiting a local machine shop to have them make me a 304 or 316 Stainless steel plate. If it was a 400 series Stainless it might turn colors but it shouldn't be flaking. Again find it hard to believe any boat manufacturer would do this.

Lynn Syndrome
10-14-2010, 09:08 AM
Hey I just wanted to thank you guys for the help with this. I think I will make it a winter project and take the plate out then have a new one made from stainless - good idea.

I am still interested in finding out if any other Moomba Outback owners have had this issue? Please forward this on if you know of any here in the forum.

jeffrey236
10-14-2010, 10:41 AM
Lynne, I'm in the same boat, so to speak, having purchased a 2000 Outback LS in August. I spoke to Moomba yesterday about this, and they recommended wire brushing and repainting with a primer and rustproof paint. Having said that, I agree with the other posters who suggest getting a new plate made from stainless steel.

Razzman
10-14-2010, 11:42 AM
So let me chime in here on this. One of my old boats, a Tigé, was the same way with the same issue. It was a '95 model and had never been touched up under there. I just brushed it all off and painted with galvanizing paint then painted Rustoleum over that. I kept that boat for three years and it never rusted again, but then i always made sure the bildge was empty too.

zabooda
10-14-2010, 01:42 PM
I agree Ed. It is something that has its own beauty in the bilge. I tried to loosen the nuts and they don't budge as if SC didn't want them to ever get loose. Good luck getting them off as I didn't have the tools to do it and how much torque does it take to break the bolts or damage the surrounding fiberglass.

DOCDRS
10-15-2010, 06:52 PM
I agree Ed. It is something that has its own beauty in the bilge. I tried to loosen the nuts and they don't budge as if SC didn't want them to ever get loose. Good luck getting them off as I didn't have the tools to do it and how much torque does it take to break the bolts or damage the surrounding fiberglass.

That's a good point, I'd use the kiss rule and use my time for something else.

zegm
10-15-2010, 07:48 PM
That's a good point, I'd use the kiss rule and use my time for something else.

You know some of these boats might be in brackish water. As an engineer that works with the US Navy you wouldn't have to worry about it (getting the bolts off) in about a year or 2 as there won't be a plate to worry about if it sees any salt at all.
Really there is no excuse for putting a painted mild steel plate in a bilge and if some people like cool wraps then you have some people who like good designs (316SS plate). So for those that don't mind sanding rust go for it and for those that like things done right, go for it. Then everyone will be happy! :)

zegm
10-21-2010, 05:26 PM
So if he tells you that he has found a new cheaper filling material you would be ok with it wouldn't you.
Wow! A new use for Lead! :p

maxpower220
10-21-2010, 05:49 PM
I read this and check while I was winterizing the boat. My plate on my 08 Outback it still very silver with no signs of any oxidation. I have had my boat in salt water and brackish water on a few occasions. You may want to pursue this through your local dealer.

DOCDRS
10-22-2010, 12:41 PM
You know some of these boats might be in brackish water. As an engineer that works with the US Navy you wouldn't have to worry about it (getting the bolts off) in about a year or 2 as there won't be a plate to worry about if it sees any salt at all.
Really there is no excuse for putting a painted mild steel plate in a bilge and if some people like cool wraps then you have some people who like good designs (316SS plate). So for those that don't mind sanding rust go for it and for those that like things done right, go for it. Then everyone will be happy! :)

Ok Z I was going to let your slam pass till your last post. Check out my first post on this subject.....and last time I checked are not most of the navy buckets of the last 100+ years made of steel? :)

zegm
10-22-2010, 01:21 PM
Ok Z I was going to let your slam pass till your last post. Check out my first post on this subject.....and last time I checked are not most of the navy buckets of the last 100+ years made of steel? :)

I apologize, my slam was directed at my tailgater and not you. Of course you guys do use an alloy of mecury don't you? :D
Yes they are and I actually work with NRL (Naval Research Laboratories) on the types of coatings we use on our Aluminum and Steel products. Some of these coatings which are used inside the ballast tanks of Nuclear Subs are very expensive and the total cost exceeds the cost of stainless steel. This stuff comes out of a special spray gun at 1000psi!!! But I work in the Aerial (helicopter) towing world. Can't say more here, but it is about weight so usually we try to limit the amount of steel used and what is used is protected with expensive coatings. A 1000ft long ship in the US Navy is going to have some very nice expensive coatings on it. And it will come in drydock every few years to have it replaced. A backing plate in a ski boat can easily be made from aluminum and if there is one that needs additional strength one piece of stainless steel is not going to make a Moomba cost what a MasterCraft costs. You can't convince me that the price difference between aluminum and stainless steel vs. mild steel is a good choice in such a small application. I mean really go to any boat dealer and look for painted steel parts, I don't remember seeing any unless it was galvanized (which would not be a bad choice on this plate either).
Now I can say that a couple of years ago I was onboard a German Minesweeper that was totally made of non-magnetic stainless steel. Yes an expensive boat that one was. Where do you think all that money that people spend on BMW's and Mercedes goes! :D

DOCDRS
10-22-2010, 02:12 PM
Oh I could go on about mercury.....amazing there are any old dentists around......but I think we,ve hijacked this thread enough with this fun banter :)....besdes, I'd hate to think you were an anti-dentite....maybe we should have a take your best shot forum .....lmao

zegm
10-22-2010, 02:24 PM
Oh I could go on about mercury.....amazing there are any old dentists around......but I think we,ve hijacked this thread enough with this fun banter :).....maybe we should have a take your best shot forum .....lmao

I agree!
Point me in the direction and I will play! :D

graybmg
11-04-2010, 07:12 AM
I've had this same issue for the last two summers since buying an '01 Outback. I've done nothing about it. There's always rust in there. There is always water in there as well. Now I'm wondering if I should do something about it. However, there is water constantly in my bilge until winter. I suppose I'll try the painting option as soon as I winterize.