PDA

View Full Version : Something to Add to your Winterization List

squeeg333
10-12-2010, 05:43 PM
I came across something this weekend that I would recommend be added to everyone's winterization list. If not your winterization list, your summerization for sure.

I was messing with the prop the other day, and notice a little slop. Didn't think too much of it. Then, this weekend, was doing some cleaning in and arond the engine, and decided to check alignment. As soon as I stuck my hand down by the coupling, I knew there was a problem. All 4 of the coupling bolts were loose!!

So, one thing to add to winterization, or summerization, or both, is check your alignment. It's a pretty easy process, and shouldn't take more than about 20 minutes (as long as eveything is plumb and within spec). And of course check these bolts occasionally for them being tight. After finding this, I've read numerous posts around on this board and the Supra board about these bolts!

Here's a pretty solid description is you're so inclined:
http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=7604&highlight=shaft+alignment

jester
10-12-2010, 06:44 PM
squeeg333,

That is good to know. Do you have photo's so i know what i will be looking at?

squeeg333
10-12-2010, 06:51 PM
Jester - unfortunately I haven't taken any pics, but I can this weekend. Someone else might have a few they can donate to the cause though!

Bascially, it's the coupling from the v-drive to the propeller shaft. It'll be behind the v-drive. Between your (assumed) dripless packing and the v-drive. There's a steel coupling attached to the v-drive shaft, and a brass coupling attached to the propeller shaft. These coupling are connected by 4 bolts with nylock nuts. Kind of tricky to get at, but well worth a look.

I don't think mine were ever tight from the factory, in looking at the condition of the threads near the vicinity of the coupling itself. Luckily, they weren't in too bad of shape to have to replace - though I probably will next year.

maxpower220
10-12-2010, 08:11 PM
I also put silicone lube on the strut bearing and prop shaft. Those seals will expand, contract, and in the past have frozen the shaft. It took effort to break it free.

brain_rinse
10-12-2010, 08:16 PM
It's posted in the how-to forum on this site as well: https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=10834

DOCDRS
10-18-2010, 12:58 PM
I am a big preponent of checking alignment , its easy and simple and will make your seals , vdrives ,tranny's last much longer....as wellas having a piece of mind