PDA

View Full Version : To Fill or Not to Fill?

wolfeman131
10-10-2010, 11:23 PM
So, have we ever come to a definitive answer, or at least consensus, on the question of having the fuel tank full or empty at the end of the season?

brain_rinse
10-10-2010, 11:30 PM
Fill 'er up, add some Stabil.

mmandley
10-10-2010, 11:35 PM
fill it because even with no fuel you can get condensation in the tank and it will effect the system next year

moombabound
10-11-2010, 12:34 AM
Was there ever anything other than a concensus?
Thought it was a given that the tank should be full and stabilizer added and the engine run so the stabilizer circulates thru the fuel line. The owners manual states this, only exception being if the fuel contains alcohol.

With some toys (i.e. dirt bikes) complete fuel drainage is as easy as a turn of a screw. But with a boat, how would you ever completely drain the fuel?

Research I did years back suggested it's the interaction with air that causes the fuel to go stale, so if you top it off that won't happen and in fact that theory further suggests stabilizer is not required. But it's cheap, so might as well.

PS (After years of draining the fuel on my bikes, I've reversed course after seeing the inside of the float bowl on one of them. Full of fuel from now on).

cab13367
10-11-2010, 01:16 AM
I always add Stabil and fill it up. Have never had an issue come spring.

sandm
10-11-2010, 06:36 AM
fill up to the brim and add stabil.. never had an issue yet in any machine..

moombadaze
10-11-2010, 07:17 AM
stabil and fill it, reminds me that I need to go do mine--lack of use

jmvotto
10-11-2010, 08:33 AM
ditto, fill and add stabil

NCSUmoomba
10-11-2010, 09:23 AM
What does the owner's manual say? It says to fill it up and add stabilizer, and that is what I do.

bergermaister
10-11-2010, 09:25 AM
One more for fill and add stabilizer.
Plus right now gas is around $3 a gallon here. Next June who knows where it will be! ;)

zegm
10-11-2010, 01:22 PM
stabil and fill it, reminds me that I need to go do mine--lack of use

We have had the same problem here. Lack of use. In July it rained every weekend and towards the fall there is usually an all weekend long swim meet somewhere.
Ms. LS is going to think we don't like her anymore! :)

viking
10-11-2010, 02:15 PM
Another vote for "top it off and sta-bil".
In fact will be doing so next weekend. Trying to get out this thursday for the last run of the year :(

cab13367
10-11-2010, 02:32 PM
Most everyone wrote "fill it up and add Stabil" but to be technically correct, you should add Stabil, THEN fill it up, THEN run the engine. This will ensure that the Stabil is thoroughly mixed with the fuel and that the fuel that will sit in the fuel system over the winter, be it the carb or the fuel injectors, will have Stabil in it and will not gum up.

brain_rinse
10-11-2010, 02:50 PM
Most everyone wrote "fill it up and add Stabil" but to be technically correct, you should add Stabil, THEN fill it up, THEN run the engine. This will ensure that the Stabil is thoroughly mixed with the fuel and that the fuel that will sit in the fuel system over the winter, be it the carb or the fuel injectors, will have Stabil in it and will not gum up.
Good clarification. I add the stabil to the system before the last run of the season, then top off the tank for winter.

moombadaze
10-11-2010, 03:30 PM
I did say that backwards as I add the stabil at the house and then go get gas

wolfeman131
10-12-2010, 08:05 AM
Wuss!

Don't you live on the same latitude as San Diego?

How can there be an end of the season in Georgia?

As I always say...if you want more insulation, eat more Wise chips

How I wish there wasn't an end to the season . . . .

The kiddos gymnastics season gets cranking up soon and we just don't make it out to the lake enough to justify the risk of not having the boat winterized and put away for a few (hopefully) short months.

moombadaze
10-12-2010, 04:22 PM
The kiddos gymnastics season gets cranking up soon and we just don't make it out to the lake enough to justify the risk of not having the boat winterized and put away for a few (hopefully) short months.

You know you can come south anytime and we will can go out--but no comments on the pond of a lake we have :rolleyes:

kaneboats
10-12-2010, 05:44 PM
Ditto. I was going to say fill 'er up and keep using her.

sailing217
10-13-2010, 09:34 AM
any of you folks use that "sea-foam" fuel treatment instead of stabil? I know that's about the most foolish name for the a fuel treatment especially in a boat... but I was just wondering...

Sea Foam is the BOMB, in a good way. Just put it in all my cars and boats cause the cars were getting close to tune-up time and WOW they are running smooth now. I'm probably running through the last tank of gas so it's 93 octane and sea foam. I'll fill, top off with 93 and the dealer throws in stabil as part of the winterization. Never had a problem.

I tried other fuel treaments and sold on SeaFoam now. Not sure how it handles fuel seperation, but I'll run it through the first and last tank of the season and use stabil while it sits over the winter.

zabooda
10-14-2010, 06:20 PM
Leave er close to empty as I've done the past eight years. Run a gallon of stabil gas through and call it good. In the spring you pump out the remaining gas, water and crud and start with fresh gas. Otherwise, what do you do with a full tank of degraded crapped up ethanol based gas that still has water in it? I know what some people do and some of those people have discussed the consequences.

jester
10-21-2010, 12:43 AM
I was looking thru the Coast Guard Aux website and found this under that whats new. Thought i would pass it along.

http://dev02.cgaux.org/members/whats_new/announce.php

Tips for boat winterizing with ethanol fuel: Suggestions from Auxiliary Partner, Soundings Magazine

Boaters are starting to winterize their boats. Considering the problems that ethanol-blended gasoline can cause, proper preparation of the fuel system and engine is a critical step in preparing a boat for winter storage. Gasoline with 10 percent ethanol (E10) has led to disintegration of fiberglass fuel tanks, the gumming up of fuel lines, and piston and valve failure. Two properties of ethanol cause problems in boat fuel systems. First, ethanol absorbs moisture - so it can cause water to collect in your fuel tank and fuel system. Second, ethanol is a solvent. It can loosen debris in the tank or fuel lines and allow it to reach the engine. Engine manufacturer representatives recommend using a quality fuel stabilizer and conditioner. The stabilizer should be added to the fuel tank before the seasonal layup and the engine should be run long enough to ensure that the stabilized fuel runs through the entire system.

Empty or full? Opinions vary about whether tanks should be left empty, or about 95 percent full during winter storage. According to some experts, the benefit of leaving tanks empty is, that if there's no ethanol in the tank it can't absorb water and can't loosen deposits in the tank. According to other experts, the benefit of leaving tanks filled with treated fuel is that there's less likelihood of moisture forming in the tank from condensation and a topped-off tank minimizes the explosive fumes that can remain in an empty tank. The National Fire Protection Association calls for tanks to be topped off to minimize explosive vapors. Draining the tank may be an option for boat owners with small fuel tanks but for owners of larger boats, topping it off makes more sense.

The rest of the fuel system also needs attention. Drain and replace the fuel/water separator and drain any fuel filters to the engine. You also should inspect all fuel hoses, and fittings. To determine the effect ethanol may have had on your fuel system, when changing the fuel/water separator, pour some of the gasoline into a clear jar and check the level of water and debris. If you see black specks in the fuel, you're looking at a potential ethanol problem. The black specks are typically pieces of rubber fuel line that has begun to deteriorate internally. If you find them, replace the affected fuel line with a new ethanol-resistant line.

[Posted: Oct 17, 2010. Source: Kelly Townsend, DVC-BL]

lsvboombox
10-21-2010, 07:53 AM
any of you folks use that "sea-foam" fuel treatment instead of stabil? I know that's about the most foolish name for the a fuel treatment especially in a boat... but I was just wondering...

Yes sea foam is great... I use it instead of sta-bil. while it treats the gas it is also cleaning your motor....

http://www.seafoamsales.com/how-to-use-sea-foam-motor-treatment.html

kaneboats
10-21-2010, 11:15 AM
I am aware of many outboard guys who swear by the stuff for removing carbon deposits and improving performance on 2 stroke outboards. I haven't tried it for anything though.