PDA

View Full Version : Are rear ballast necessary on a Mobius LSV

clark
10-04-2004, 08:58 PM
I am probably going to buy a Mobius LSV in January at the Atlanta boat show. I need help from the current LSV owners. My boys are 15 and 19. They are recreational boarders. My oldest likes to jump high, but that is all he will do. When I test drove the LSV, I noticed how much room there was in the rear alongside the engine. I really hate to think about giving up the space for ballast bags. Here is my question. Does the standard ballast in the front ski locker produce a good wake? Good enough for recreational boarders to get real high. I just hate to throw away the space if I don't need to. I realize there is usable storage even with the bags, I guess. How much room do the rear ballast bags take up. I really need help on this one.

Thanks, Clark

minimachado99
10-04-2004, 10:41 PM
the cool thing about the bags is that the bags can be un filled and u can still put things on top of them so really your not losing storage

clark
10-04-2004, 11:42 PM
I was wondering about that. I did not know how high the bags rose up when filled and how much room you had on top of the bags. What about the question about are they really needed. How much of a wake is put out by only using the front ballast bag?

Clark

Bobby
10-05-2004, 09:54 AM
There is a significant difference in the wake with rear bags. This is especially true if you only have 4 or 5 folks in the boat. I purchased my LSV without the rear bags only to add them later at additional cost over the factory option and a lot of trouble. If you are going to wakeboard any at all I would get the rear bags.

jchamlee
10-05-2004, 04:51 PM
If you are going to buy a wakeboard boat, then buy a wakeboard boat. There is a huge difference w/o the rear bags. Get them so that you have the option of filling them when he wants to ride. If you need the extra storage for joy riding, then you can empty them or only fill them partially.

clark
10-06-2004, 08:45 AM
My goal in buying a boat is not to buy a "Wakeboard" boat. I need a multipurpose, wakeboard, slalom, pleasure, recreational boat. The LSV just fit the bill better than any other. I will probably get the 3 bag system.

Thanks for the info.

Clark

jchamlee
10-06-2004, 11:17 AM
Clark,

You will be very happy with the LSV. I just got one this summer, and I love it. I wakeboard in the mornings and the wake is incredible. Then around noon, my wife comes out and brings the dog, coolers, friends, etc, and we cruise around and hang out. The layout gives you plenty of room.

Wake Master
10-06-2004, 08:57 PM
I bought a Mobius LSV in the spring. Put 135 hours on the boat this summer. The 3 balast system and the wakeplate are great options. Between both of these you can get the wake you want with or without people in the boat. I have been considering ordering larger bags for when there is only a couple of people in the boat. You can order custom made bags from Barefoot International in Wisconsin. They make them for Moomba. The nice thing about the factory installation is the pumps and hoses are all installed for you and they are controled by 3 seperate switches mounted next to the drivers seat..

clark
10-06-2004, 09:37 PM
Once again, thanks for the advice. We test drove the Mobius LSV,,, I fell in love with it. I can't wait until the Januaryboat show in Atlanta. I have heard several different things on this BB about the Perfect pass system. Can you tell me if it is worth the money. The owner of the dealership gave it high praises. A friend of mine has a Air Nautigue and says he likes it. Any advice or info is appreciated.

Clark

Wake Master
10-07-2004, 07:46 PM
Perfect pass is like cruise control on a car. You set the speed and the perfect pass does the rest. It's great to keep a constant speed through turns. It also gives you more freedom to watch the person you pulling, you don't have to watch the speed. If you have the money its a great feature.

clark
10-08-2004, 12:24 PM
Without the perfect pass system, how does the boat hold wakeboarding speeds?

Wake Master
10-08-2004, 05:07 PM
Not sure I have always used the perfect pass on this boat. I had a Ski Natique prior to the Mobius LSV and you always had adjust your speed.

clark
10-11-2004, 08:47 AM
How would you compare the Nautigue to the Mobius?????

Wake Master
10-11-2004, 07:40 PM
The Natique was made as a ski boat. I had a Fly high and with 4 good size people in the boat I could get a fair wake. I prefer to wakeboard vs ski now. I compared the Correct craft Air Natique to the Mobius and decided that the LSV was the best value. I'm very happy with the boat.

Shoemaker Mobius
10-16-2004, 12:17 PM
Clark,
I began using my 2004 Mobius LSV without PerfectPass (while the dealer was waiting for it to be delivered). Holding wakeboard speeds wasn't real difficult without PP, but you really had to pay attention to the speedos and make slight adjustments to the throttle. With reasonable diligence, I could keep it within 2-3 mph. For my beginner sons wakeboarding, that was fine. However, after we had the PP installed (about 30 days later), it made a huge difference. First, by that time, my sons were trying more tricks and they were not happy with a 2-3mph variance. Especially now, with them doing w2w jumps and some inverts, they want absolute consistency. The PP provides that. In addition, I believe it makes me a much safer driver because I no longer pay any attention to the speedos - I just concentrate on whats ahead of me on the lake while glancing in the mirror to keep track of the riders. Trying to keep the speed constant, watching ahead of the boat and keeping an eye on the rider is too much. Especially in Texas, where the laws don't require an observer, I have taken one of my sons out in the boat by myself. I would never have done that without PP.

clark
10-18-2004, 03:14 PM
Thanks,,, I think I will get PP.

Summit_SS
10-20-2004, 01:09 PM
Clark

Perfect Pass is what myself and many other people would call a marriage saver. If you get this it makes everything SO SO SO MUCH BETTER. If your wife or kids ever pull you or you ever pull them you don't have to worrie about them getting mad about speeding up or slowing down. It just makes everything nice.