PDA

View Full Version : Loss of power

Big Boss
10-10-2010, 10:36 PM
Hey everyone,

I have a 2007 Outback V with the Indmar 325, 580 hours on the boat.

Today on the lake, after about 3 hours of riding/surfing, my CEL came on and the boat dropped speed. I checked the oil level, and it was low but not super low. I added some oil just to be sure, and continued riding. The boat idled and ran fine up to a point, but then would lose power. This happened with and without the Moomba cruise on. The boat isn't running rough or sputtering, and starts normally. We would get on plane, and after about 2 min power would drop. I would go into neutral, idle for 30 seconds and then take off. The boat would run perfectly for about 2 minutes and then repeat.

Any ideas? I have an extra fuel filter that I am going to put in tomorrow, but since the boat runs perfectly at idle and at speed, I don't think it will make a difference. Gas is from my normal station, so I don't think it's a gas problem.

I did notice the exhaust was more visible (white smoke) while surfing and idling, but chalked it up to colder temps. Temp gauge was normal.

Does the engine go into protection mode for low oil level? I'm thinking the boat still thinks the oil is low and is kicking into protection mode momentarily. Seems like a electrical problem since the engine is running perfectly except for this one issue. No choking, sputtering, etc.

All feedback is appreciated!

Aaron in Austin

ETA: I just read in the engine manual that the ECM will drop RPM if coolant temp reaches an unsafe level. Is this temp different than what is displayed by the temp gauge on the dash? My temp gauge on the dash never went above normal.

Is it possible this is an early sign of an impeller going bad? I'm going to pull it tomorrow and check it.

deepcove
10-13-2010, 12:14 AM
If this is your impeller your temp would read high. Sounds more like a clogged fuel filter to me....idles fine but boggs down under load. A $10 inline fuel filter replacement is the first thing I would do. It should be changed every 100 hrs.