PDA

View Full Version : Sad Day (Graphic pics)

lewisb13
10-10-2010, 05:21 PM
So before you scroll down and look at these pics, I just want to give a little background on the situation. I was trying to be a good friend and teach some of my friends how to wakeboard. As you can see below, some of them picked it up very quickly. Some of them were overthinking it very much and were holding on too long as they were falling. To make a long story short, I usually shorten my rope ridiculously short, like wakesurf short, for newbies so they can get up in a hurry. I know what I did was a mistake and I have learned from it, believe that. Basically I was using a nylon rope because I didnt want to put a loop in my zero stretch for fear that I wouldnt get the knot out. Well on one of the pulls the rubber band effect happened. Mind you I was driving. Knocked me out COLD.

This cut is over 3 inches long and as I sit here typing this, its almost a half an inch TALL. These pictures really dont do it justice. Just a little lesson for anyone who thinks this might be a good idea. Although all these people got up within their first 2 tries, it was NOT worth it. Flame suit applied.

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt213/lewisb13/lacey.jpg

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt213/lewisb13/ouch.jpg

deerfield
10-10-2010, 07:33 PM
lewis - Am glad no one took it in the face. That cut on your head is nasty. If you had been using a wakeboard line would there have been little or no rubber band effect? - Deerfield

moombadaze
10-10-2010, 07:56 PM
wow, glad your ok. that is something i never would have thought of

schuylski
10-10-2010, 09:30 PM
Yes- glad your ok. Crazy. I had a buddy out once at 15 off on the tower and when he was getting up he shot the handle clear through the whole boat (under the tower) and into the water up front so that I was going to run the handle and rope over. Couldn't believe it. But whenever I've got new people in the boat that is one thing I always warn them to keep an eye out for, right after telling them NOT to hold on if they fall!!

sandm
10-11-2010, 06:43 AM
no flamesuit needed. doesn't sound like a halfbad idea. maybe use a real wakesurf rope next time?

agree with post above. I have trained a bunch to surf and one of the first lessons: when falling, don't ever hold onto the handle. just go down.

flex
10-11-2010, 11:38 AM
nasty gash! sorry to see that happen.

there are a couple of knots you can tie that will not mess your rope up. actually, i learned how to tie one over the weekend. i don't know the name of it & there is no way i can describe it with out pics.

you can see it on learnwake.com but you'll have to be a memeber.

papou
10-11-2010, 08:33 PM
hey your not alone the same happened to me this summer got me just as i turned my head broke my sun glasses a little cut on the temple and a black eye for three weeks it did`t knock me out but i saw the stars.
i will never ever ever ever use a cheep tow line again

zegm
10-11-2010, 11:11 PM
Man I feel for you! Sorry you got hurt!

Once I took a guy slalom skiing and he wanted to use his new rope he bought instead of ours. I didn't think anything about it until he fell and didn't let go. The next thing I hear was my wife yelling duck and then the handle bouncing off the windshield. That was a 75 foot long rope! But yeah one of those rubber band types.

Again, I hope you feel better tomorrow!

lewisb13
10-12-2010, 11:39 AM
Thanks for all the well wishers and the knot listed above. Im still really bummed out about this, it could have been a LOT worse if it would have hit 4 inches lower in my cerebellum. Ill be taking some serious precautions next time when I go to try this again. Cheers.

kaneboats
10-12-2010, 05:47 PM
Glad to hear you're going to be OK. I used to hear people talk about it and had no idea what they meant till I saw it happen one time and just about take out the windshield. Scary.

cab13367
10-13-2010, 12:19 AM
Ouch! What a freak thing to have happen to you. So did some quick acting passenger take over the controls when you got knocked out?

lewisb13
10-13-2010, 09:08 AM
Ouch! What a freak thing to have happen to you. So did some quick acting passenger take over the controls when you got knocked out?

Yeah, it was pretty bad. I fell over and hit the front of my head, luckily, on the seat thats directly across from the driver. Still hurt real good. If I had been wearing the lanyard, it wouldnt have pulled the safety switch because of the way I fell over. I kinda stayed in the seat and the top half of me fell over to my left. Luckily one of my lady friends knew what she was doing and jumped over to get the boat out of the throttle. We were doing circles at that point because I must have grabbed the steering wheel on the way down.

wolfeman131
10-13-2010, 08:29 PM
that is scary stuff! glad it didn't turn out any worse than it did. a good lesson for all about the rope and also why you should clue someone/everyone in on what to do in an emergency.