PDA

View Full Version : Thermostat - '07 Outback

deerfield
10-09-2010, 02:07 PM
Am replacing thermostat on my '07 Outback. Engine has 165 hours. Normal operating temperature is 180 degrees. Last weekend, for first time ever, temperature stayed in 130 - 135 degree range. Picked up new thermostat and gasket this morning. Used serial number stamped on Indmar engine block to identify correct part. Will replace and post pics later today.

viking
10-09-2010, 02:54 PM
I for one will pay attention :) Thanks deerfield!

deerfield
10-09-2010, 08:45 PM
Did not go as planned.

First, the "parts" person at the service counter gave me the wrong gasket, even though I supplied her with the engine serial number per her request. You can tell from the picture below that I had to make a trip back to get the correct gasket. Well, that was ninety minutes round trip. Waste of time, although I did enjoy listening to music. She tells me it was her mistake to give me the gasket for "the most common application."

So I get back to the house, with the right gasket, and pick up where I left off. I cleaned the two surfaces to make sure they are smooth and free of debris for a good seal. I discover there is a rubber o-ring that is integral to sealing things up so no water leaks. By this time it's after 4:00 p.m. and the dealer is closed. So off I go to Home Depot in hopes of finding something that will work. I do, but that's another half hour wasted.

It's now 7:30 in the evening and am done for the day. Too dark to work. There is a small leak where I replaced the thermostat and another where one of the six hoses attaches to the water manifold. Will finish this up tomorrow. Nothing is ever easy. Still, pretty cool to crank up the sound system and work on my boat.

deerfield
10-09-2010, 08:49 PM
Rest of the pics.

Tomorrow I will report on the final outcome, just so you know the project was completed and was able to get everything tight and dry.

deerfield
10-10-2010, 07:44 PM
Thermostat change project finished today. Tightening the two bolts took care of the leak. Sent an email to the parts person asking that she mail me the rubber o-ring. Will keep it with the backup parts box that stays on the boat during the summer. Tested the thermostat and it kicks in at 180 degrees, just like the thermostat that came with the boat from the factory.

Hoopskier
10-11-2010, 12:29 AM
Just an FYI for future reference, being that it is a GM 350 engine, the gasket you needed can be purchased at local auto parts store. I fill my engine block with RV marine anti-freeze as part of the winterization process via the thermostat housing and buy the gasket for $1.25 at Fleet Farm. I would think they might have the rubber seal as well. I would stick with an OEM part though for the thermostat itself. I can get you the Stant part # if interested. Might save you a drive and some time, should you need one again.