PDA

View Full Version : HELP left trailer brake frozen

jmvotto
10-08-2010, 05:13 PM
My left trailer brake is frozen. the right one works fine. any suggestios. i just skidded it across half the yard

Razzman
10-08-2010, 07:17 PM
Disc or drum brakes?

If disc the first think to check is for an obstruction between the caliper and rotor, then check to see if the line got pinched somehow. If nothing is evident try jacking it up and see if the tire will move at by hand. If not then more than likely the piston is frozen in the caliper for some reason (gunk, torn rubber o-ring). Remove the tire, loosen the bleeder valve on the caliper to relieve the pressure, loosen the caliper bolts and rock the caliper back and forth to move the piston back into the bore. Now you can remove it to check it out.

If drum it's more complicated. Again check the line first, then remove the tire, then using a large screwdriver back off the adjuster located on the bottom rear of the backing plate enough so that the drum rotates. Now it either will or won't, either way you'll have to remove the axle nut and pull the drum. If it doesn't move then more than likely the hardware has broken inside and jammed between the drum and shoes. If this is the case you'll have to man handle it to remove.

Good luck

jmvotto
10-08-2010, 09:23 PM
Razz,
not sure but thanks for the very detail prescription, not sure i am that handle all that on my own.

i forgot to tell you that the trailer was way out in the back yard, and was skidding and tearing the grass, but has been sitting there since may. I finally put a board under the wheel and dragged it across and it broke free. look to be just rust, but i paniced as i tore up about 40 ft of lawn, we have received a ton of rain the last week and its really soft.

all is good , up at the lake now for our last weekend with the boat, it comes out Sunday:(

deerfield
10-08-2010, 11:28 PM
jm - Hope it's a great last weekend on the lake. Season passes way too fast. - Deerfield

jmvotto
10-09-2010, 08:17 AM
jm - Hope it's a great last weekend on the lake. Season passes way too fast. - Deerfield

deerfield, your right it goes by very fast,but it sure was a good one out east.

last weekend with the boat, we will make some other trips before the water gets shut off for the season, but thanks. I hope to get one last run in with the wetsuit. water temps really dropped off this year.

mmandley
10-09-2010, 09:40 AM
Something you guys can do that don't run your trailers all the time is Spray the rotors with WD 40 when you park them for long periods, this coats the bar metal of the brake rotor and will keep it from rusting over. Also you will need to spray brake on rotors before pulling them again.

Both of these methods are safe for the rubber seals in the calipers. I would not spray the calipers and pads directly, just the rotors.

wolfeman131
10-09-2010, 10:44 PM
Also you will need to spray brake on rotors before pulling them again.

Mike,

THANKS for the tip! I don't run my trailer except to put the boat in at the beginning of the season and to pull it out at the end of the season. I put the trailer up on blocks during the season to keep the tires off the ground and spin them when I rememer to do it. I still have rust on the rotors and will run the trailer w/out the boat this weekend to try and knock it off before I tow with the boat loaded.

I understand the WD 40 on the rotors when I put it up for the summer, but I don't understand what you mean above. What do I need to do before I use it again?

Thanks,
Drew

viking
10-09-2010, 11:09 PM
speaking of blocking up the trailer..............does anybody block their trailer during the winter when stored (with the boat on)? Was thinking that might help save the tires as well. I store mine exclusively in my garage with the boat on it except when towing and boating during the season. Winter can last 7months here. Thoughts?