PDA

View Full Version : Pressure washing the cover?

AaronWhitt82
10-05-2010, 04:53 PM
Well it's getting to be about that time to start thinking about Winterizing and storage.....
I would like to wash the cover for the boat as it is quite dirty and has mold spots on the inside of it.
The cover is custom made out of canvas and is a Sunbrella type.
I was wondering if I could just lay it out on the driveway and pressure wash both sides of it or if that would cause any damage to it?
I guess I could also use a regualr garden hose and a bucket with a scrub brush, but that seems like more work !!!! LOL

Thanks

Razzman
10-05-2010, 05:28 PM
You should not pressure wash Sunbrella fabric, go to Sunbrella.com/marine and check the care page. It specifically says to use a mild detergent and soft bristle brush, anymore than that and you'll also need to retreat with 303 Fabric Guard.

bergermaister
10-05-2010, 06:32 PM
I went through this last year.

Although my cover is older canvas style, pressure washing it laid out on the driveway made the typical lines running through it and I was fearful of blowing it apart after taking several passes trying to even it out.

My best luck was had by laying it out on the driveway and using a new/clean push broom with a good detergent. Hose it off both sides. Have someone help you stretch it out and hold it up to hose it as needed before stretching it out it in another spot to dry in the sun.

Turned out to be less work, less time consuming, and looked better in the end...

jmvotto
10-06-2010, 08:51 AM
i would think, while on the boat you just take it to the manual car wash on low pressure and use the broom with soap and then rinse, let dry in the sun, remove cover, let residual water if any inside the boat dry out.

my.02

kaneboats
10-06-2010, 09:09 AM
I got the bright idea to pressure wash some mildew off a convertible top one time. Don't try that trick either.

Razzman
10-06-2010, 01:40 PM
Sunbrella specifically says not to use detergents on Sunbrella Marine fabrics. I just went to the store an hour ago and picked up some Woolite to clean my bimini coincidently. From the Sunbrella web site;

When it’s time for a thorough cleaning, Sunbrella fabrics can be cleaned while still on a boat or, size permitting, they can be removed for cleaning in a washing machine or dockside. When cleaning Sunbrella fabrics, it is important to observe the following:

Always use a mild soap such as Ivory Snow, Dreft or Woolite.
Water should be cold to lukewarm (Never more than 100°F/38°C.)
Rinse thoroughly to remove all soap residue.
Air dry only. Never apply heat to Sunbrella fabrics.
General or light cleaning

To clean Sunbrella while still on a boat, follow these simple steps:

Brush off loose dirt.
Hose down.
Prepare a cleaning solution of water and mild soap such as Ivory Snow, Dreft or Woolite (no detergents).
Use a soft bristle brush to clean.
Allow cleaning solution to soak into the fabric.
Rinse thoroughly until all soap residue is removed.
Air dry.
May not require re-treatment depending on the age of the fabric.
If stubborn stains persist, you can use a diluted chlorine bleach/soap mixture for spot cleaning of mildew, roof run-off or other similar stains (see our Stain Chart for specific recommendations).

Razzman
10-06-2010, 01:41 PM
I got the bright idea to pressure wash some mildew off a convertible top one time. Don't try that trick either.

Saw someone do that once, needed at new top afterwards!

saskie99
10-06-2010, 02:05 PM
I put mine in my washing machine, and the bimini and washed it and spot cleaned it with Spay Nine. It did not take out the color (light grey) or fade. You would never know I had scrubbed on that spot. I have used it to get oil out of the carpet, oil out of the bilge and to remove black mold.